Speakers for ST1300

For those of you who have installed Polk speakers (db400 or db401) on your bike.

What type of speaker wire did you use? (i.e. marine grade, 16 gauge, 18 gauge, etc.)

Did you use a connector to attach the wire to the speakers or hard wire them? If you used a connector, where did you find the connectors? I have been unable to locate connectors for my db401 speakers.

Thanks,
tman

jnsgardner

R.I.P. - 2012/08/30
Rest In Peace
Bike
'05 ST-1300A
STOC #
I put 4 X 6 Pioneers under the grills in the fairing. How I did it, I wrote up somewhere on the site. Sony radio with aux input is in the left pocket. Around town, the speakers sound fine. On the road, I play my iPod through an Autocom into my helmet. With my wife aboard, we both hear the same music. Alone, I use Shure E5s with the iPod on my belt. Yes, the E5s are top of the line, but I found a good deal on eBay. One warning... they are so sound isolating, that you can't even hear horns or sirens. Best done on the open road, not around town.

John

Imrubicon

Wannabe Squid
STOC #
I sodered mine to the wire and used normal speaker from wally world as the larger gauge will hold more watts but the basic 18 gauge will hold more than most small amp put pout and the larger wire like moster wire is more for show than any real added improvment

OP
OP
I just received the following items from David Silver Spares:
08A54-MCS-80001
08A54-MCS-80002

Since these items do not include the mounting hardware (i.e. screws, etc.), I'm curious as to what other folks used to install these items. It looks like it could be a little tricky trying to secure the speakers to the boxes if you aren't using the right pieces & parts.

I would appreciate any feedback from the folks that have installed these items.

Now I have to figure out if I want to just use an AMP or some type of Radio.

Thanks,
tman

OP
OP
I was able to find some #8 x 3/8 J-Type speed nuts at Lowe's that will work to mount the Polk DB401 speakers in the Honda speaker boxes. I had to use some cutters to cut off a small part of one end of the speed nuts. Using these speed nuts you are able to use the screws that come with the DB401 speakers. But, I plan to use some screws that are not as long. The speed nuts come in a package of four.

See attached photos.

Attachments

OP
OP
I installed my speaker boxes this weekend.

I originally used 1/4" -20 x 3/4" bolts to secure the speaker boxes to the bike. The 3/4" bolts were too long and interfered with the re-installation of the meter panel. 1/4" - 20 x 1/2" bolts works fine.

OP
OP
Tim,

I did not take any pictures of the speakers installed. Somebody on this site already provided a picture. I'll see if I can find it.

tman

STOC #
In brief this is what I did to set up my Polk 401s.

Opened up the two side mounting holes with a 3/8s drill. Installed 1/4in jack nuts into holes. I have pictures, but I'm too sick this evening to go get them off the camera. The Jack nuts are great because is creates a permenant threaded mount on the side of the boxes. I used 18 gauge wire soldered to the speakers. I put a small knot in the wire to keep the wire from pulling on the speakers. the wire comes about 2 inches out of the box. I used Hitachi connectors on the wires. I installed the Polk speaker foam available from Crutfield in the boxes. I used the J type speed nuts mentioned above to mount the speakers.

Attachments

Last edited:

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Not to be criticizing, just asking a question. Why not just but speakers in your helmet. Than only you can here your music and not everybody you pass? What one spends on time and labor taking the bike apart, buying the outdoor speakers and installing them on the bike, one could buy a good set of helmet speakers, a power amp and use a very small MP3 player to have one's favorite music. In my opion, the only way to go. That way one leaves room for louder horns and electronic cruise control.

STOC #
Not to be criticizing, just asking a question. Why not just but speakers in your helmet. Than only you can here your music and not everybody you pass? What one spends on time and labor taking the bike apart, buying the outdoor speakers and installing them on the bike, one could buy a good set of helmet speakers, a power amp and use a very small MP3 player to have one's favorite music. In my opion, the only way to go. That way one leaves room for louder horns and electronic cruise control.

If you ride your bike as recreation, taking it out on the weekends every once in a while I would agree with you. However, you will find that those among us who are making the effort to install complete stereo systems, MP3, AM/FM, Sirius, Intercoms, CB and FRS, are the ones who don't ride recreationally, we ride everyday as a lifestyle. I for one don't have a car.

If I'm going to the store for milk, work, movies, or even bubble gum, I am on the bike. having the convenience of turning on the ignition and have the radio pop on playing my favorite station is nice. On long rides I do hook up my helmet headset to the system. This also allows my Bluetooth phone to activate and connect to the StarCom1 intercom so I can receive calls.

If I'm riding in a group I hook up the helmet so I have access to the CB or the FRS radio, but for jumping on the bike for a quick trip to the corner, nothing beats having the dash speakers.

Always remember we are a diverse group of people here on ST-Owners, who all use our Steeds in different ways. What may seem odd to you may be completely normal for others.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
If you ride your bike as recreation, taking it out on the weekends every once in a while I would agree with you. However, you will find that those among us who are making the effort to install complete stereo systems, MP3, AM/FM, Sirius, Intercoms, CB and FRS, are the ones who don't ride recreationally, we ride everyday as a lifestyle. I for one don't have a car.

Please don't take offense, I am not criticizing, Just want to understand the benefit over helmet speakers. As you can see I have over 100K miles on ST's + I have a host of other bikes that I ride. So I am not the occasional rider. I presume you wear your helmet when you ride distance and short local trips. If so, would not helmet speakers suffice, regardless what music/sound inputs you have.

OP
OP
I suppose we all have our own reasons why we do the things we do.

I installed speakers on my bike so I could avoid having dangling cords from my helmet.

tman

I like the idea of speakers, but I am just not sure where to put the subwoofer, cause I like Hip-Hop music and 4" speaker usually only good for vocals and mids down to 120Hz. Maybe I can convert my top case into a ported band pass sub box with a 8" sub. Hmmmm.

STOC #
My interest for external speakers is to listen to music while parked. I have a set of external speakers I carry in the saddlebag and while they don't take up too much room, they sound bad. I would like to mount more purpose designed speakers which would use the fairing as a bass enclosure.

Top Bottom