Add 4mph To Your ST1100's Top Speed!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
[cross-poSTing here]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, it's true, my friends! Step right up! You too can easily add 4mph to your beloved ST1100's top speed!! And it's darn cheap to boot!!!

Here's how, Bunkies: just order and install the genuine Honda fairing bolts listed below, and you too will soon enjoy the thrill of pulling away from your jealous fellow STriders while at WOT on some lonely TexSTOC road! BTDT! Yes indeedy, you too can bask in the glow of admiring glances from your ST brethren at STOC gathering parking lot tire-kicking sessions. The secret to your newly created prowess is...

[shhhh, you're all sworn to STOCdom secrecy at this moment]

-- those simple, tiny little dimples on the heads of these 'special' bolts.

[Hey!... this ain't no snake-oil sales pitch, people.. There's a real, underlying scientific principle at work here, after all... you all do KNOW what dimples do for golf balls, don't you!?!?]

So... now that I have your undivided attention, just surf right on over to your favorite bookmarked on-line genuine Honda parts suppliers, or hurry out and patronize your local Honda dealer by paying a visit to their parts clerk, and order up some of these dimpled 5mm socket-head wonders!:

For the Side Covers (2 ea, to replace those POS #3 phillips-head OEMs):
90112-MAT-000 / SCREW, PAN (6X16)

For the Lower Fairing (8 ea {the 9th, rearmost bolt on the right side is shorter than the other 8}):
90113-MAT-000 / SCREW, PAN (6X14)

To insure the maximum effect, you must also order 4 more of the dimpled 6x14s for the two Pivot Covers (the two exposed bolts on each cover) - the OEM bolts for the pivot covers are shorter than the dimpled 6x14s (6x11, and also have a shorter shoulder), but the 6x14s will work if you shim them with something. I used some scrap sheet plastic, but know that my local hardware store carries hard rubber washers that would work fine. This way, all the visable fairing bolts will be of the same appearance... 'sanitary'... and your ST will be faSTer!

< dimpled bolts - guarantied to get any ST1100 to not only 'indicated' ST Nominal, but up to 'actual' ST Nominal! >

:)

BTW, if anyone knows of/has a PN for dimpled 6x11 5mm socket head bolts, please let us know!

[edit: here it is (thanks, Bill Royal), the PN for the 4 dimpled socket head bolts for the ST1100 Pivot Cover and the 1 Lower Fairing bolt: 90106-KY2-701 / SCREW, PAN (6X11)]
[edit2: that PN is NOT a dimpled bolt, my dealer took back the ones I ordered]

Regards, John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058

-- Life is GOOD when traveling on an ST -- wherever you are, every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet! --

Last edited:
Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Re: Add 4mph To Your ST100's Top Speed!

John, I printed the list but never got the parts ordered. It'll have to wait til I get back from my August trip. Thanks for the research,

OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

Dang. When I did a preview before sending this new thread, I noticed the forum software had deleted a "1" from ST1100 in the subject line. I corrected it and submitted the thread but it did it again in the final/actual poST! I don't see anyway to correct the subject line now, but I'm new at this new-fangled forum STuff.

Dang.

Hi George. See you soon at Redmond! Really looking forward to seeing the new "STick"!!

John

-- Retired: six Saturdays and one Sunday, every week! Life is GOOD! --

OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #

John, I printed the list but never got the parts ordered. It'll have to wait til I get back from my August trip. Thanks for the research,
Hi George,

I didn't do any real 'research.' For the record, Warchild (Dale Wilson, STOC 98) first poSTed the tip about the CBR bolts working on the ST1100. This was on the STOC e-mail LiSTserv, way back during the last century, IINM. :)

John

-- Life is GOOD when traveling on an ST -- wherever you are, every day's a holiday and every meal's a banquet! --

Bike
1997 ST1100
I know this is an old thread but still relevant. I just put the dimpled cowl bolts in to replace the chewed up philips screws. Have not verified increased top-end yet.;) Does anybody know if the two bolts that hold the shelter at the top by the steering head have similar replacements? These are also chewed up philips screws. They are not in any direct air flow so it's unlikely any aerodynamic improvements will be seen. It would be nice to be able to use one multi tool hex wench to take off all the plastic rather than grab a philips driver for these odd fasteners.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Does anybody know if the two bolts that hold the shelter at the top by the steering head have similar replacements? These are also chewed up philips screws.
Those are not OEM.

SCREW (6X19) 90104-MN4-000 No dimples though.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
To insure the maximum effect, you must also order 4 more of the dimpled 6x14s for the two Pivot Covers (the two exposed bolts on each cover)
Hi John:

What part on the motorcycle is the 'pivot cover'? I am not familiar with that terminology.

Michael

OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
What part on the motorcycle is the 'pivot cover'? I am not familiar with that terminology.
Hi Michael. Over the years, to avoid confusion, I have always tried to use Honda part noun-nomenclature and/or Owners/Service Manuals’ designations (e.g. Driven Flange vs “spider”, Final Drive vs “pumpkin”).

COVER, R. PIVOT NH285 (GUSTO GRAY) 50350-MT3-000Z
COVER, L. PIVOT NH285 (GUSTO GRAY) 50351-MT3-000Z

Service Manual, Page 2-5: Pivot Cover

The little Tupperware pieces covering the swing arm pivots:

John

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
[cross-poSTing here]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yes, it's true, my friends! Step right up! You too can easily add 4mph to your beloved ST1100's top speed!! And it's darn cheap to boot!!!

Here's how, Bunkies: just order and install the genuine Honda fairing bolts listed below, and you too will soon enjoy the thrill of pulling away from your jealous fellow STriders while at WOT on some lonely TexSTOC road! BTDT! Yes indeedy, you too can bask in the glow of admiring glances from your ST brethren at STOC gathering parking lot tire-kicking sessions. The secret to your newly created prowess is...

[shhhh, you're all sworn to STOCdom secrecy at this moment]

-- those simple, tiny little dimples on the heads of these 'special' bolts.

[Hey!... this ain't no snake-oil sales pitch, people.. There's a real, underlying scientific principle at work here, after all... you all do KNOW what dimples do for golf balls, don't you!?!?]

So... now that I have your undivided attention, just surf right on over to your favorite bookmarked on-line genuine Honda parts suppliers, or hurry out and patronize your local Honda dealer by paying a visit to their parts clerk, and order up some of these dimpled 5mm socket-head wonders!:

For the Side Covers (2 ea, to replace those POS #3 phillips-head OEMs):
90112-MAT-000 / SCREW, PAN (6X16)

For the Lower Fairing (8 ea {the 9th, rearmost bolt on the right side is shorter than the other 8}):
90113-MAT-000 / SCREW, PAN (6X14)

To insure the maximum effect, you must also order 4 more of the dimpled 6x14s for the two Pivot Covers (the two exposed bolts on each cover) - the OEM bolts for the pivot covers are shorter than the dimpled 6x14s (6x11, and also have a shorter shoulder), but the 6x14s will work if you shim them with something. I used some scrap sheet plastic, but know that my local hardware store carries hard rubber washers that would work fine. This way, all the visable fairing bolts will be of the same appearance... 'sanitary'... and your ST will be faSTer!

< dimpled bolts - guarantied to get any ST1100 to not only 'indicated' ST Nominal, but up to 'actual' ST Nominal! >

:)

BTW, if anyone knows of/has a PN for dimpled 6x11 5mm socket head bolts, please let us know!

[edit: here it is (thanks, Bill Royal), the PN for the 4 dimpled socket head bolts for the ST1100 Pivot Cover and the 1 Lower Fairing bolt: 90106-KY2-701 / SCREW, PAN (6X11)]
[edit2: that PN is NOT a dimpled bolt, my dealer took back the ones I ordered]

Regards, John OoSTerhuis STOC 1058

Hi John,

Twelve years later and I'm seeing your original post for the first time. Funny post! Thanks to Michael for resurrecting it!

However, I had seen a mention of the side cover bolts elsewhere on the forum a few years ago and I did order them, as those created the most problem for me, not having a proper JIS driver. So I'm happy just having the extra one, maybe two miles per hour faster that they have provided me with!

OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Hi ForeST. Glad to be of service. :)

Can’t find the post right now but a source for JIS bits was posted and I got them, in my onboard tools. Anyone at a STOC event need a JIS #3... see me. Lose one of your OEM Side Cover bolts?... got one of those in my “kit” also.

John

OP
OP
John OoSTerhuis

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Top Bottom