thermostat replacement on '91 st1100

Thanks for the help guys.
I got a Honda Civic thermostat today in my local motor factors as advised and did the job. Changed the coolant too.
The hardest bit was taking off the fairing/screen parts and remembering how it all went together again!
Temperature gauge is now showing the movement it should.
Thanks again.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Thanks for the help guys.
I got a Honda Civic thermostat today in my local motor factors as advised and did the job. Changed the coolant too.
The hardest bit was taking off the fairing/screen parts and remembering how it all went together again!
Temperature gauge is now showing the movement it should.
Thanks again.
After a while you'll get used to removing the plastics, easy enough compared to modern bikes with their fiddly clips and hidden velcro etc.

ChriSTian_64

Site Supporter
Bike
2000 ST1100Y
STOC #
What I do when I'm taking off more than one fairing parts, I have one ziploc plastic sandwich bag by fairing part, and use them to put the few fasteners that holds it. Each bags has a piece of masking tape with the fairing name on it.
And I make sure to seal the bag, so even while I move them around, I'm sure all the fasteners stays inside.
When it's time to put everything back togheter, your taking the corresponding bag : "ok, four faster for this one... "
Having the good fasteners, you only have to figure out where they go. I sometimes get help from pictures taken with my phone before I started.
Yeah, after a few time, we know where the fasters are going, but still : it's a simple trick to do and will greatly help in putting everything back where it goes.

20210331_080728.jpg

20210331_080823.jpg

Chris.

Last edited:
Bike
Vstrom 650
I wouldn't worry, maybe you'll figure out where they came from next time you have her apart, otherwise you've got yourself a few spare bolts etc. she won't fall apart going over a bump anyway :)

Bike
2000 ST1100
those sure look like bolts that hold the top shelter ie false gas tank on. They should be on the lower part of the fake gas tank. You will have to take the side panels off to see where they go. They are 10 mm. The plastic screw I think goes into the rear of the right side panel by the grey lift handle. You should see it on the end there is a place to screw it in.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
those sure look like bolts that hold the top shelter ie false gas tank on. They should be on the lower part of the fake gas tank. You will have to take the side panels off to see where they go. They are 10 mm. The plastic screw I think goes into the rear of the right side panel by the grey lift handle. You should see it on the end there is a place to screw it in.
Nope. Those bolts you mention have a large rubber grommet on them as well, with chromed washers.

Those bolts shown are for holding various areas of the fairing to the frame. Easy to miss, or confuse, where those go, so I always put them back into their respective holes after the panel is off.

I think Red is right on the plastic screw though.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Nope. Those bolts you mention have a large rubber grommet on them as well, with chromed washers.

Those bolts shown are for holding various areas of the fairing to the frame. Easy to miss, or confuse, where those go, so I always put them back into their respective holes after the panel is off.

I think Red is right on the plastic screw though.
I think the rubber grommet is captive on the shelter so the collar and bolts can be removed without the grommet. This Friday I'm going to put my bike back on the road from it's long winter knap so I'll look for those bolts after I take the side covers off.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I think the rubber grommet is captive on the shelter so the collar and bolts can be removed without the grommet. This Friday I'm going to put my bike back on the road from it's long winter knap so I'll look for those bolts after I take the side covers off.
Yes, you are right. The rubber grommet is captive by two shiny washers on the shelter, but the bolt does not have any centering washer on it and is also shiny chrome.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Yes, you are right. The rubber grommet is captive by two shiny washers on the shelter, but the bolt does not have any centering washer on it and is also shiny chrome.
Well today was the day got my bike running. Pulled the left side cover to replace the battery and the bolt on the left side was black painted on the lower shelter cover. The right side was chrome/silver. Scratching my head I said I have to know. So I pulled the gray lower cover and saw what appeared to be bolts like that holding the cover on the front side cover where the tip over bars go through those covers. Which would make sense since he would have to take that cover off to get to the drain. Mystery solved:shrug1:

Last edited:
Top Bottom