Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Rear Seat Removal for an ST1300

1. Locate left (clutch side) passenger grab rail

2. Insert ignition key and turn to the right (clockwise)

3. Pull up on the key

4. Locate the small seat release tab

5. Push down on the seat release tab

6. While pushing down on the seat release tab, lift up on the rear seat

Attachments

Last edited:

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
Re: ST1300 Rear Seat Removal

"In the unlikely event of a water landing, your seat WILL NOT serve as a personal flotation device" ! :D

Marshal_Mercer

Bumbleberry + Crumble = Yum!
Bike
Has new home
STOC #

I still want to know how you get the ignition key out of the dad-blamed ignition key holder! :D

Marshal

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR

I'd like to add that the procedure is the same on the 2003 ST1300s, but the process goes... faster. :burnout

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Now if Larry (Igofar) sees you removing the rear saddle, be very careful, he'll have your brakes and clutch bled and the throttle bodies sync'ed before you even get close to getting that saddle off the bike! :D

Bike
'05 ST-1300
" #4. Locate the small seat release tab " . . . I was quite busy developing new expletives in my garage. Even the dog was looking at me funny.
Then I came inside, took some deep breaths, opened a beverage, got on my computer, and was saved by this forum & this little reminder!
Can you tell its the middle of JAN (in WI) & I haven't touched the bike in the while? Geez. Forgot all about this little tab! Maybe I'm getting old? heh.
Thank you MELLOW!!!

Bike
2004 ST1300 Police
Interesting. My battery died on the road (forgot to turn the key off). So I had everything ready: The jumper cables, the Allen-Key, etc. For the life of me, I forgot about the "release seat tab." I ended up push starting it with the help of 3 guys. Thank you. Not like the old Hondas.

Bike
ST1300 2012
Always good to have pictures!
Haven't had this issue with any of my ST1300s, but, on another brand of 1300 I had for a while the instructions said "insert ignition key in seat release location and turn" ..... It took me forever to find the dang thing way down the side of the bike and nowhere near the seat!

(Very subtle advertising for the key fob ...)

Everyone enjoy what they can ... I'm gonna just watch the snow melt ....

Scott

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
And my take-away is the nifty little ST-O fob on the key.

Those little ST-O fob saved my bacon back in 2014, when in Las Vegas!

"While doing the entertainment thing (while in Vegas) I decided I needed a new Sam’s (Town) Club Player’s card (I forgot mine) so I picked one up along with one of their leashes. I put it in the same pocket as my bike keys. Big mistake! Later on, the boys wanted to go out to the bikes to lock them altogether when I realized I didn’t have my bike keys in my pocket! I went back to my room and couldn’t find them there either! I asked Brett for his motorcycle keys, since both bikes had the same "ST-Owner’s" white key tab attached to the keys, and went to Security to ask if they had anyone turn them in. They did and when he saw the key tab I had, there was no question whose keys they were.

After waiting there for five or ten minutes, another guard came in and had me sign a copy of my CA license and sent us on our way. Obviously the other guy was having computer problems and couldn’t print out the proper form! At least they had them, but I wasn’t that worried, I had my second set with me, I just didn’t want to lose them!"

For the whole Trip Report:

2014 Southwest Tour

Top Bottom