Ran out of gas...again

Wondering if any of you have had this problem before. I would fill up the tank, and get upto 190-199 miles, and then run out of gas. The gauge will still be around half, but the bike would not start. When I looked in the gas tank, I could still see gas, but the bike would not start. Then, if I put more gas in, the bike would start.
Went to my friend's place (he has a '98 st1100), and we took the fuel assembly out and noticed that the rubber hose for the gas inlet to the fuel pump was disconnected. So basically, when the gas level would go below the level of the rubber hose (when diconnected), the bike would stall. We put the hose back on the metal pipe in the gas tank, and so far the bike runs fine. I am down to 250 miles, and still no gas light. For my peace of mind, I put a metal clamp on the hose on top of the metal pipe.
Any thoughts? Is there supposed to be a clamp of some sort on the rubber hose that may have fell off? Any foreseable problems with me putting a metal clamp (screw-tight type) on the rubber hose? Thanks!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I don't recall if there's a clamp. <looking> Ron Ayers microfische show only the pump as a unit, no sub-assembly, so can't see the necessary detail.

I would suspect tho, that there's one of those wire clamps like are prevalent on many hoses on the bike.

Never heard of a hose coming off the pump, tho, with or without a clamp. Glad ya found the problem.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
I can't think of any problem with putting a clamp on your gas line, I think there was a spring clip on there anyway.

You might need to check the 2 pin/2 wire connector on the side of the tank (maybe 1/2 way down) on the left side. That's the low gas light.

Do you really need to know how I know that?

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Here are pictures of Paul Kolbo's pump assy when he took it apart and diagnosed the fuel starvation problem (the little pump motor stopped working at lowered fuel levels and high tank/fuel temps):
[edit: http://www.stocrallies.com/st-riders/index.php?topic=1033.0]

[as usual, click on the picture to go to the album and see a higher res version]

Interesting problem/issue... glad you got to the bottom of it.

Regards, John

Last edited:
OP
OP
peeace
I can't think of any problem with putting a clamp on your gas line, I think there was a spring clip on there anyway.

You might need to check the 2 pin/2 wire connector on the side of the tank (maybe 1/2 way down) on the left side. That's the low gas light.

Do you really need to know how I know that?

:) So, how do you know?
When we took the assembly off, there was a white line at the tip of the rubber hose, but I did not see any metal clamp or anything in the gas tank.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
When I pulled the tank to change the alternator, I missed that plug. I pulled them off pretty short, had a little effort to repair.

But I am sure where the plug is and what it does.

Hmmm....something else to review as I do my altenator upgrade. I started having trouble with fuel as the temp warmed up. Originally I was running out of fuel about 200 miles. When my alt went out I was running out at 100 miles. Thanks for posting your issue and resolution.

Bike
98 ST1100
STOC #
Wondering if any of you have had this problem before. I would fill up the tank, and get upto 190-199 miles, and then run out of gas. The gauge will still be around half, but the bike would not start. When I looked in the gas tank, I could still see gas, but the bike would not start. Then, if I put more gas in, the bike would start.
Went to my friend's place (he has a '98 st1100), and we took the fuel assembly out and noticed that the rubber hose for the gas inlet to the fuel pump was disconnected. So basically, when the gas level would go below the level of the rubber hose (when diconnected), the bike would stall. We put the hose back on the metal pipe in the gas tank, and so far the bike runs fine. I am down to 250 miles, and still no gas light. For my peace of mind, I put a metal clamp on the hose on top of the metal pipe.
Any thoughts? Is there supposed to be a clamp of some sort on the rubber hose that may have fell off? Any foreseable problems with me putting a metal clamp (screw-tight type) on the rubber hose? Thanks!
I am the friend who helped MK, it was an interesting find.
I was riding back from VIR and I had what seemed to be a fuel starving issue which later cleared up. I decided to tear her down for some needed maintenance and check up. I checked the valves with the plastics off and they are in spec with 62K on the clock.

In regards to this hose in the tank, I have removed my tank to flush and clean it and was following this tube in the tank. With MK's issue resolved, I figured the tube went to the bottom of the tank. I see it goes up to the fill cap area. What is this tube for and how did it make his bike starve for fuel at a half tank. It clearly does not go to the bottom of the tank unless I am missing something.

I would like to remove the PEAR system since I have excessive decel popping. Is this a big job?

Any insight?

Thanks

Mike

Top Bottom