No Tool Tire Mounting

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well my Z6's were down to the steel belt so today I mounted my new PR2's and repainted the rims.

I had seen this on a VTX forum so I thought I would give it a try. I was really concerned that mounting the tire with a shorter sidewall than the cruiser would be a real PITA. It turns out the sidewall is actually softer much to suprise.

Using this method it was really very simple.

Not having a bead breaker I easily broke the bead by rolling over the edge of tire with my truck...rotate the tire and repeat both side until it is broken all the way around.

Next a little liquid dish detergent and some tire irons and off they came.

Now here is the neat part I leaned. By taking tire wraps I put three wraps together and then placed them through the tire tightening them untill the lips of the tire were touching. As shown in photos I did this about every 10-12 inches all the way aound the tire. By doing this I was able to mount both side at the same time with
NO TOOLS WHATSOEVER
All I had to do was start the tire then walk around it until it slid on then remove the ties.

After mounting I balanced the tires with my NoMar balancer then just for good measure I added the Dyna Beads and repainted the rims.

Hope this helps someone who is dreading the task.. Go ahead and jump in. Only tool used was some Tire Irons from Harbor Freight to remove the old tire after I had broken the bead.

Thanks for the post Tom. I have a HF Tire Changer, but will definitely try your method first, as it will keep me from scratching up those rims. Zip ties are very cheap, and I have a whole lot of them in every size.

Texas

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
looks neat. for me the hardest jop is tire removal and once I have the wheel clamped up in the harbor freight tire changing clamp it is easy enough to install the new tire with the mojolever. If I had to use tire irons for any part of the job, my rims would be butchered. i love my mojolever.

neat idea with the tire wraps. first I've seen that.

STOC #
LOL, I wouldn't trust myself with using a vehicle to break the tire bead. One little misalignment and you are calling Service Honda for a new rim $$$. For the minor cost of the HF stand and the Dick Seng bar (No Mar is the same thing) why the need to get so creative?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I've seen guys use straps but this is a pretty cool way to do it. I wonder if the rear tire will work as well.

Now, I think we need to talk about how much your bead breaker costs... LOL

Bike
07 ST1300A
Very neat idea! I could see this working for the front, but doubtful it would work for the rear. The sidewalls are just too stiff, at least they are for the BT020F. I'll have to try this the next time I change a rear tire. Also, be very careful when using a vehicel to break the bead. I could see this being an easy way to bend a rim or a rotor. :eek:

RE use of spoons, I have a Mo-Jo lever, and when removing the rear tire, find it practically impossible to get the tip under the bead, without the aid of a spoon to pull the tire bead away from the rim just enough to get the tip of my lever in. I put a piece of thick plastic tubing split lengthwise over the rim to keep the spoon from scratching the rim.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Greg, I go in at an angle - to get the tip of the no mar in there - then lift up with that part of the tire and it seems to help a little. Otherwise, the metal part of the no mar lever is touching the rim and there's too much leverage... almost broke my first no mar tip off thinking it was just the way it's supposed to be and tried to pull back anyway.

Bike
07 ST1300A
Greg, I go in at an angle - to get the tip of the no mar in there - then lift up with that part of the tire and it seems to help a little. Otherwise, the metal part of the no mar lever is touching the rim and there's too much leverage... almost broke my first no mar tip off thinking it was just the way it's supposed to be and tried to pull back anyway.
I do the same thing, going in at an angle then pull up on the bar to get the tip as close as I can to the edge of the rim.. I even use small wood blocks opposite to where the bar goes in, to encourge the bead to go into the rim valley. But I have the newer version Mo-Jo lever, and the tip is fairly large ( I would guess around 5/8") and round, whereas the No-Mar is oblong, and can be rotated to get in a narrow gap between the bead and rim. This feature alone would make be choose the No-Mar over any other bar I've seen so far.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I do the same thing, going in at an angle then pull up on the bar to get the tip as close as I can to the edge of the rim.. I even use small wood blocks opposite to where the bar goes in, to encourge the bead to go into the rim valley. But I have the newer version Mo-Jo lever, and the tip is fairly large ( I would guess around 5/8") and round, whereas the No-Mar is oblong, and can be rotated to get in a narrow gap between the bead and rim. This feature alone would make be choose the No-Mar over any other bar I've seen so far.
Ah... can yo say grinder? LOL... yeah, the no mar tip is oblong and flat on the sides so you can just get it in ... if it were the same size all the way around it would be pretty tough.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
I've used straps on 2 rears with great results as the things give me a fit on the harbor freight without a second set of hands to help hold the bead down. Looks like the zip ties might be even easier to use and much simpler to get out !

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I've used the 2x4 method many times to break the bead. First improvement was to use a "Wonder Bar" in place of the "down" piece of 2x4.

Recently, I've used the wonder bar, a tire iron, and a little dish soap to break the bead. Hook the curved end of the tire iron _behind_ the edge of tire, squirt in a little soap, then hook the short end of the wonder bar under the edge of the rim and lever with the long end. Viola! Pics are on here somewhere. Mac helped me with the first one, did the next two by myself. Works for front or rear.

I'll try the tie-wrap method next time. I always carry some with.

Bike
07 ST1300A
I've used straps on 2 rears with great results as the things give me a fit on the harbor freight without a second set of hands to help hold the bead down. Looks like the zip ties might be even easier to use and much simpler to get out !

Gene, if you get a few wood blocks that are 2x3x1/4(or slightly thicker), and put them on the opposite side of the rim from where you first start removing the tire, they work well to encourage the tire into the rim valley. Take a look at No-Mar's video on changing a GL rear tire , you'll see the wood blocks at work.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
If you're going to try driving over the tire to break the bead on a front, be aware you need to remove at least one brake disk. Trying this trick with a disk on the ground will get you a warped disk at best, and damaged rim if you're unlucky.

I've a shop near me that will dismount, remount, and spin balance a tire for $25, and nothing ever touches the rim (other than the tire itself, of course. Well worth the price considering the time, effort, and risk of doing it myself.

OP
OP
TearlessTom

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I tried that method 1st but could not get the the leverage I needed. Of coarse me minus a few brain cells (refer to Buffalo Theory) I had the board placed on the wrong side (far side from car)of the tire so it keep trying to flip toward me and I couldn't stablize it.....DUH

If these post dont make sense as I told you I am not a morning person (yes I know it is 1:pM) but it is morning to me and I am still on my 1st cup of coffee.

Besides I was up all night listening to Fay's yapping. (the storm not the wife)

This is always my 1st choice.!

OP
OP
TearlessTom

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I've seen guys use straps but this is a pretty cool way to do it. I wonder if the rear tire will work as well.

Now, I think we need to talk about how much your bead breaker costs... LOL
:):):):;) ROFLOL
Well the 2x4 cost $2.00, The truck is a '99 I bought 5 years ago for $10,000 Funny either of my bikes are worth more than my truck.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
:):):):;) ROFLOL
Well the 2x4 cost $2.00, The truck is a '99 I bought 5 years ago for $10,000 Funny either of my bikes are worth more than my truck.
This is the kinda stuff we like to hear... :hat1:

OP
OP
TearlessTom

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
LOL, I wouldn't trust myself with using a vehicle to break the tire bead. One little misalignment and you are calling Service Honda for a new rim $$$. For the minor cost of the HF stand and the Dick Seng bar (No Mar is the same thing) why the need to get so creative?
Because I am CHEAP!!! and is is Sunday afternoon and there are no shops open....

The trick is to use your left front tire turned as far as you can to the left, lean out the window so you can see and just graze the tire. You don't get near the rim.

OP
OP
TearlessTom

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
If you're going to try driving over the tire to break the bead on a front, be aware you need to remove at least one brake disk. Trying this trick with a disk on the ground will get you a warped disk at best, and damaged rim if you're unlucky.

I've a shop near me that will dismount, remount, and spin balance a tire for $25, and nothing ever touches the rim (other than the tire itself, of course. Well worth the price considering the time, effort, and risk of doing it myself.

Ditto I always pull the rotors off before I do any work. If I had a shop that was open and nearby that would do this for $25. I would use them too. Unfortunately the nearest is $35 each and they were closed till Tuesday.

Top Bottom