No Tool Tire Mounting

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Another reason to use the no-tools methods is because yur Coates or HF tire machines don't carry well on the pillion. I can carry everything I need, along with the spare tires. Only thing I gotta find in the field is enuff air to seat the beads. Any car or truck tire shop will do it for free.

Zip ties definitely work on the rear tire. It was very easy.
All I had were 14", so had to connect two together. 24" would be better.
Pressed it about half way on by hand, then stood on it and gave it three stomps to finish. Also, used a small spritz of WD40 for the second half.
Pics attached.

Attachments

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Zip ties definitely work on the rear tire. It was very easy.
All I had were 14", so had to connect two together. 24" would be better.
Pressed it about half way on by hand, then stood on it and gave it three stomps to finish. Also, used a small spritz of WD40 for the second half.
Pics attached.
That's cool... thanks for the pics.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
There goes your No-Mar investment. ;)
I'm happy with the no mar... but is is nice to know there are other ways of doing it in case you are in a situation where you need to.

I had been meaning to try the zip ties but I only have 2 of the long ones and keep forgetting to get more..

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I will definitely be putting a handful of zip ties under my seat on my next trip!
I don't know about using wd40 though... I think I'll try water...

Thanks,
Mark

OP
OP
TearlessTom

TearlessTom

Bike Whisperer
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I will definitely be putting a handful of zip ties under my seat on my next trip!
I don't know about using wd40 though... I think I'll try water...

Thanks,
Mark
have you seen the WD-40 auto inflate method. Aparerently it works but a bit too risky for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUtUeNWBEc

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Not my style... light a flammable liquid while spraying it at a motorcycle tire...
nope... no way... But, I can hear "Hey, hold my beer and watch this" while the score Deliverance is gently playing in the back ground...
;)

Last edited:
Bike
st1300
STOC #
I would NOT do that with an MC tire, but, I have done large off road tires many times. Not uncommon to knock one off the bead when running low pressure in the soft stuff. I use ether (starting fluid) & make trail to the tire so I can stand way back n lite it. The poof is not enough to actually blow the tire on the bead. You gotta have the air hose on & ready. Add air as soon as she blows or it the will not stay on the bead. Heck yeah it was scary the first couple of times, but some times ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

That no tool mounting is way too cool.... Great post!

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
That hits the nail on the head...Cliff and Norm...two smartest guys on the planet. ;)

:slv13:

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I subscribe to Cliff's theory as well. "Hey, Martha, I gotta pass this test, hand me another beer!" :D

Joe, on using 2x4s as a bead breaker, substitue a Wonder Bar for the "down" board, the shape of the straight end is angled perfectly to go under the edge of the rim and slips the tar right off the rim. I think every guy has at least one in the ol' tool box. I have three, always carry one with along with my tar arns.

Gotta try that zip try trick. In fact, STrayCatt and I are gonna use zip ties to remove the spring from his new/used shock. Works about the same way according to some note he read somewhere.

I love the 'net!

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #
Been using the tie wrap trick for 3 years now it's the only way to easily mount tires by your self !!

Bike
2006 ST1300
So to rehash, you still have to remove the old tire the normal way right? Can the tie wraps work on a OEM B'stone 020?

STOC #
I'm skeptical about zip ties working on an 020 rear. I can barely pinch the beads toward the center on that tire. Much much harder than Avons.

Replaced patched Storm with BT020F.
Zip ties were not much help.
Three light stomps put the Storm on.
Multiple almost-jumps finally just broke the zip ties with ~1/3 left to go on the 020F!
Two irons made quick work of that, though.

Just my opinion: After working with the BT020F, the Storm seems like a toy. Best I could measure, the Storm sidewalls mic'd about 0.325in, and the 020F about 0.450in.
Could squeeze the beads together with one hand on the Storm, had to STAND on the 020F.
Thinking I have a lot more confidence in the Bridgestone.

STOC #
Hi,
Just installed the 020F fronts using the zip ty method.. Worked like a champ. Just needed the tire iron to pop the last bit over the rim. Left the tire in the car all day today. Inside temp in the car was 120 so I had a nice warm flexy tire. Im gonna do the rear 020F this week end and I'll let you know how it goes..
Removed the tire using Scudman's method..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Pfp2Z9k0n0&feature=related
Check out the last part how he finally removes the tire (4:44), again, works like a champ. Stand it up and pop it off........ bada bing bada boom........ heyyyyyyyyyyy

m

STOC #
I just used the flat parts of a laundry detergent jug... easy peasy, mate..
There is another video of a guy using bicycle pump to fill the tire after the tire change... Yes it works but takes FOREVER. I used my little 12v pump and while not fast it was "fast enough"..

mitch

STOC #
Yo,
"tried" to install the rear tire with the zip ty's. Nada, zilch, noWorkie.. Tire nice and warm, rim nice and clean.. First of all if you can't pinch the two bead's together it ain't gonna work. The B'stone 020f is one stiffwalled sob. Could not get the ty wraps to make the beads kiss.. Oh well off to the dealer to have him mount the rear (keep your mind out of the gutter!!) Doing the front was so easy so I'm gonna continue doing the front's and leave the rear for the dealer..
Leaving for WESTOC on thursday morning at about 0-dark thirty and I can't wait!!

mitch

Top Bottom