Avon Storm Info

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
OK guys spoke with the customer service rep.
The reasoning for the non-approval on the ST1300 is they have experianced some high wobble issues with the tire on ST1300's.
They have not seen any failures on the tires, but there is some concern on the "wobble" issue.

They are currently looking into the situation and doing research into it.
The rep said that it could be up to a year before they release an upgraded tire. He stated that a news release when they find out what the problem is will be released.

Now for the good part. He also stated that in the case of a failure on these tires they will not be responsible for any liabilty if it's installed incorrectly ie: Avon Storm on a ST1300.

This being said Two Brothers will not install any of these tires on ST1300's out of our shop. As far as selling to Forum members I'm not sure at this point.
We ride way to fast and too many miles to get hurt for something stupid.

It would weigh heavy on our mind and hearts knowing we sold something to someone that we knew was wrong and something happen to them.

Hope this clears things up a little.
Everyone ride safe and check your air pressure.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Tim, any mention made by them regarding Storms on a ST1100? Just installed mine (balanced well), and there is the deceleration handlebar shake from about 50-40mph. Can also slightly detect it accelerating. Never had a hint of it with the Exedras. Wondering if I should try another front....

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Thanks for the Info.. I'll be buying my next set of tires from you guys.........

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Thanks for looking out for us. I have the Storms now but go with a differant brand next time. Hope they get them right so I can try them again. I've always liked Avons.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Tim, any mention made by them regarding Storms on a ST1100? Just installed mine (balanced well), and there is the deceleration handlebar shake from about 50-40mph. Can also slightly detect it accelerating. Never had a hint of it with the Exedras. Wondering if I should try another front....
I have the same thing in about the same speed range. Still controllable with a single hand but I can feel it.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's not like a news flash that the ST1300 may wobble at high speed on approved tires or unapproved tires. Ride 120 or better on anything you take your chances but I guess this is your way of telling us you aren't selling this tire anymore and if you did sell me a set don't have a lawyer call you?

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
PHP:
It's not like a news flash that the ST1300 may wobble at high speed on approved tires or unapproved tires. Ride 120 or better on anything you take your chances but I guess this is your way of telling us you aren't selling this tire anymore and if you did sell me a set don't have a lawyer call you?
Huh ?

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Seems the wobble is an issue on SOME ST1300's regardless of tire. Sure doesn't stop Bridgestone or Dunlop.

Meanwhile, I'll have to agree with Rob Hephner that it's an issue with improper suspension set up as opposed to tires.

I've run the Storms thousands of miles on the road (with and without loaded bags and with and without the topbox, although mostly with) and at least a couple thousand high performance, high speed track miles with zero issues. YMMV

Byron

STOC #
I've worn out 3 sets of Avon Storms. As previously mentioned, the company is burying it's head in the sand waiting for anything else to be pointed to concerning the wobble issue before they will say it is an approved tire. I'm calling BS here on Avon because the tire is the correct size and is the correct weight and speed rating for the ST1300 so for them not to claim it is an approved tire is pure BS.
:bsflag:

That would be the same as someone claiming gasoline causes fires so therefore they won't say it is approved for use in your bike.

Sorry for the rant but this sort of BS just gets to me from time to time.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have been happy with the 3 sets I have worn out as well. I agree it's BS and lawyerly BS to boot. Avon still lists the ST 1300 Pan European as an approved fitment. I guess it's OK to sell and fit them in Europe but not in the USA.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

Guys I understand the BS call. I'm just repeating what I'm told. We have to watch out for our shop. If we sell a tire that is not recommended fitment and you crash and die, then your family comes back to the manufacturer. The manufacturer then looks at us and will not stand behind the product. Then Two Brothers is hung out to dry.
They have made this real plain to us.

On the flip side they tell me they will replace any bad tires. ie: wobbles at low/high speeds, hops or nail issues. So don't think ole Tim is not confused.

Trust me, I wish they had told me sell the heck out of them.

Sorry guys but my wife works for a lawyer. I hear what these lawyers can do.

You know every tire manufacturer has issues. Michelin had a 2CT recall back last year they were coming apart at high speed. They performed a recall and replaced the tires.

I wish that Avon would pony up if there is a issue and put all the tires on hold. I just don't see them doing this.

Dean as far your question on the they told me the ST1100's are fine for Storms.

So maybe we can make a differance heres the customer service number in WA.
(800) 624 7470
Give'em a call let them hear your complaints tell'em Two Brothers told you to call.

Lets get it fixed so I can sell these tires again. I'll see my Avon rep again soon and will be bending his ear.

I still love this forum. Thanks again guys for all the help in the past and the future.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Will they take my half used set back and refund me the money? Or should I continue to use them till they need replaced? Guess I will go back to the PR2. Makes the decision easier for the next set.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
Good question them a ring and see.
I was just ribbin' you! I am not going to call and asked for my money back from a half used set. I will use them up and then move on. Its not bothered me to run them for the last 4k.

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

I was just ribbin' you! I am not going to call and asked for my money back from a half used set. I will use them up and then move on. Its not bothered me to run them for the last 4k.
I know that but it would be funny to hear the silence on the other end of the line.

Hey can I camp in your back yard for the MotoGP? They'll only be twenty or so of us:D

OP
OP
Two Brothers

Two Brothers

There is one guarantee with give with all tires...

"All tires guaranteed to wear out."

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
I know that but it would be funny to hear the silence on the other end of the line.

Hey can I camp in your back yard for the MotoGP? They'll only be twenty or so of us:D
Sure... I have two acres. I have the room...the last 19 or so of you may have to take a cold shower! I have a garden hose you guys can use to speed the shower process up.

Top Bottom