STealth 1100

OP
OP
storm

storm

Firewatcher man
The Can Am is 52" this will be about 56" but it doesn't have the electronic stability controls the CA does and it also sites 5" higher so I guess it will be OK. On the downside the wider it is the worse braking control becomes. It is a trade off so I will have to focus on front brakes being slightly softer than ideal.

okmurdog

Will Ride for Pie
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
A very cool project - keep us posted. I am very interested to see the finished product and hear how it rides...er drives...

OP
OP
storm

storm

Firewatcher man
I just got the A arms welded in and have been working on braces etc. wheels will go on soon and perhaps a test run in a couple weeks (fingers crossed)

Bike
97 ST1100A
STOC #
Fantastic project... I am forwarding your project to my cousin who might be interested in doing something similar with his 91 ST1100 after he took an unplanned and unfortunate trip into a plowed field here in TX.

Good luck with the project!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Storm, ya need to get with Fireball (he's making a complete aluminum fairing for his ST project). An all aluminum skin on yur project would be _great!_

Gotta say youse guys make me feel inadequate. My attempt at a custom involved rattle can paint and a little vinyl. :D

OP
OP
storm

storm

Firewatcher man
Well last Saturday it was official - first test ride.
I only went about a block and turned around and headed back into the shop. Toe in was all wrong and the shocks are way to light along with no sway bar so it wallowed quite a bit. Also the front brakes were almost non-existant.

I built a sway bar and adjusted the toe in from 1-1/2" to the more normal 1/4" (slight tape read error) I also swapped the stock brake master with the original that came with the Banshee front brakes. Big difference here is the stock ST master is setup for dual piston calipers and the Banshee brakes are single so the leverage was all wrong.
Next test went much better. I drove around town just to see how she handled slow speed and things went fine. Ride is smooth and I was able to stop when I needed to.
To describe the handling is simple. If you have ever ridden a four wheeler or snowmobile - that's the ticket! It takes little to get used to but what you find is the steering is quick and while you don't lean in corners you can go at them briskly.
Front tire pressure is at 12psi now which seems pretty close to right. Can Am recommends 13-17psi and the front suspension on theirs is pretty stiff. I opted to buy a pair of rear shocks for a GL1500 (two separate sprung units) as the GL used a heavy rear shock with a 2nd air bladder unit for adjustment. The other option would have been a pair of ST1100 shocks but these are to rare.
For now I replaced the shocks with solid 13" struts which works pretty well with the low air pressure.
Last night we started adding the metal skin to the front cowling and I plan on having this complete this week. I'll have to add some more pictures once the skin is on.

On the downside it's to bad the ST has such a tall first gear - takes a bit of clutch slippage to get off the line, especially when compared to my Wing or Valkyrie. I remember not liking this about my 99 model also.

OP
OP
storm

storm

Firewatcher man
Pretty much finished up - now comes the hard part, getting it titled:bow1:

http://www.kokes.org/stealth11

Heres another reverse st1100 trike [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl0oePvTIQ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl0oePvTIQ8

Lots of good work. I think you may want a little more driver protection, i.e. fairing and better lighting. I really like the sidepods from the BMW unit though.

Overall, very creative.:bow1:

I always thought the ST1100 would be a great start to a 3 wheeler with fully enclosed driver/passenger and wheel fairings. Very aero. Maybe someday.

Larry

Top Bottom