Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Background:
One issue that has been discussed quite a bit is the one dealing with the
heat coming off the ST1300. Some riders feel it more than others, some
have even sold their ST as they could not find a fix.

Symptoms:
Excessive heat coming from the ST1300 engine. This can seep through
openings between the seat and gas tank, side fairing where the cylinder
heads are exposed and the lower fairing where the exhaust is visible.

Riders have exhibited discomfort in the crotch, knee and lower shin area
depending on where the heat is seeping out the most.

Causes:

This has been debated vigorously. To date, no specific cause has been
proven. However, some of the data points to starter valves that are
out of sync. It's possible that not all bikes are adjusted or set up the
same while being assembled and therefore, would explain the sporadic
accounts of high heat in some bikes.

Solution:

1. Starter Valve Sync - as mentioned above, performing a starter
    valve synchronization has been noted to reduce the heat affect.
    More information can be obtained by the site search.

2. Wrapping Header Pipes - Some members have reported wrapping
    their exhaust headers has reduced the heat effect. Some have also
    stated this approach moves more heat towards the center and rear
    of the bike and those areas tend to exhibit higher than normal heat.

More information can be obtained by the site search.

3. Drilling or Removing Inner Fairings - Some members have had
    some reduction in heat by removing the inner black fairing pieces
    which are located under the headlight and on the inner sides of the
    fairing. Other members have drilled many small holes in those pieces
    to aid in air flow. This approach has met with mixed results.

4. Heat Resistant Blanket or Material under seat - There have been
    members that have placed heat resistant material under the seat
    in the area where heat would come up from the engine to the lower
    portion of the tank and underneath the seat area. This approach
    has also met with mixed results.

5. Protective Gear and Heat Sensitivity - There have been many
    suggestions that those who complain about the heat are sensitive to
    heat or do not ride with enough protective gear. This may be the
    case in some instances however, there have been members that
    have switched bikes and do not have heat issues with different
    seemingly identical bikes. Obviously, adding more gear will insulate
    a rider from some heat affects.
(If you have corrections, clarifications, additions to this thread please PM us or post in
the suggestions thread.)

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300AP
Re: ST1300-Heat Issue

I have installed wind deflectors on my ST1300 and found that the problem was solved from my perspective. Am very happy with the outcome.

On a secondary issue I would be interested to learn what other members have done to stop "burning boots". My boots, particularly my right one seems to rest against the exhaust from time to time and after a period I get this bloody burning sensation on my heal which triggers a swift shift of the foot. My boot is starting to fry as is my foot - any suggestions

:policeST:

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

I first drilled and then removed the inner cowlings on my 07. The improvement was so effective that I have not tried any other measures.

Roseknight

Cone Killer
Bike
'05 ST1300

how expensive is the starter valve sink
I'll second this quesiton..
I'll be ok for a while.. but I can feel the heat and it will become an issue when the weather turns warmer and I'd like to have a plan ready for the 2 weeks of winter here in texas to work on the issue.

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #

I plan to do the starter valve sync on mine as soon as my MotionPro carb sync tool arrives. The tool was about $85 on Ebay, cheaper than what a dealer would charge to do it, I'm sure.

My biggest complaint is the hot fuel after an hour or more of riding. Once the fuel heats up and the top tank gets hot, it's time for uncomfortable roasted nuts. I keep thinking about the idea of a small oil cooler put inline on the fuel return hose to cool that fuel before it gets sent back to the top tank. Also, the possibility of thermally insulating the lower tank. First step will be the starter valve sync and I will go from there.

And yes, the front cowl pieces have been removed, for years. Still too hot.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Okay...maybe I do not understand the nature of the heat problem (Probably since I have not had the tupperware off yet), but linear thinking comes into play. Please help me understand why this happens (If anyone can). The heat seems to be on the right side mainly on my lower leg (ankle). It is like the heat has no where to go rearward, so it leaks out the side. Is that right?

When I look down under the black plastic side blisters that stick out (Not sure what else to call them...and please be kind with my lack of proper terminology...), but there are several holes in the bottom of them which make me think that is where the lower leg heat is coming from. So without actually having looked in detail yet, is there a place to install an electric fan somewhere in the back part of the engine compartment to draw air from front to rear so it does not leak out the sides like it does, and exhaust it rearward (Or downward)?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
When I look down under the black plastic side blisters that stick out (Not sure what else to call them...and please be kind with my lack of proper terminology...)
You're probably talking about the tip over bar covers... I have actually heard of some that take those off and ride without them.. and it's helped since there's more area for the heat to escape from .

Bike
honda st1300

I first drilled and then removed the inner cowlings on my 07. The improvement was so effective that I have not tried any other measures.
Hi, i am alberto from Milano, italy. could you be so kind to upload a picture of the drills and where you did them?
i cannot understand, even if ( prsonal opinion ) a 1300 cc displacement engine MUST BE HOT. i had had for like 8 years a vfr750f 1993 , only 750 CC but hot like the DEVIL!!!! i know PAN is hot, but i had my personal " jewels" portection by having my old mother " sewing together " a set of cotton bathroom towels as in a sandwich , shaped with a " big D shape" and put under my " jewels and wrapped with a few ties , under the ST seatpad. I reall feel very very " fresh" and even on a taller position that i always like so i can have my long legs stretched.

ciao and thanks

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Is this where it is coming from?

I think some of the heat is coming from below that area - where the pipes are exposed. BUT, everyone feels the heat a little differently. Some don't ever feel it and some feel it so much they want a different bike. Some feel it near the groin area where the seat/tank are, some feel it in the shins, some in the feet... There are lots of areas for heat to escape the engine area not to mention when the fans kick in, they suck are backwards so even more of the radiator-heat is pushed into the engine area.

Again, some and I would say most, never feel much of a heat issue at all that makes this bike any hotter than most they've owned.

Bike
honda st1300
I think some of the heat is coming from below that area - where the pipes are exposed. BUT, everyone feels the heat a little differently. Some don't ever feel it and some feel it so much they want a different bike. Some feel it near the groin area where the seat/tank are, some feel it in the shins, some in the feet... There are lots of areas for heat to escape the engine area not to mention when the fans kick in, they suck are backwards so even more of the radiator-heat is pushed into the engine area.

Again, some and I would say most, never feel much of a heat issue at all that makes this bike any hotter than most they've owned.
Well my ex-mechanic , owner of a st1100 says ( and i agree ) st1300 is hotter because is bigger,more powerful, has catalysers ( so engine works "leaner and littel hotter" ) and mainly beucause st1300 has a alloy frame. the st1100 has pipes frame. the different shape and size of the frame is the main cause.Winder and longer st1300 frame
gets to accumulate more hot rather then a steel pipes frame; leaving hot to flow. but i repeat and i agree with you, it's very " relative" how anyone feel this problem.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE

My biggest complaint is the hot fuel after an hour or more of riding. Once the fuel heats up and the top tank gets hot, it's time for uncomfortable roasted nuts. I keep thinking about the idea of a small oil cooler put inline on the fuel return hose to cool that fuel before it gets sent back to the top tank. Also, the possibility of thermally insulating the lower tank. First step will be the starter valve sync and I will go from there.
Treemuncher, I have the same problem with my bike. Were you ever able to fix the hot tank issue?
I tend to ride long distances and after about an hour or two of continuous riding, the upper gas tank gets EXTREMELY hot. Too hot to touch with bare hands for more than half a second and too hot to rest against it or grip it with my legs anymore.
I'm guessing it has to be around 160 to 180 degrees but I don't have anything to measure it with.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Some have tried insulating under the tank and plugging the small gap between the seat and the tank. iirc some insulating bubble wrap stuff. Method 4 in post 1.

Alberto I think this thread should explain drilling the cowls LINK

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
OK I removed the front fairing pieces and rode 1000 miles last weekend. As a result, the tank wasn't as hot anymore, but the seat was! It's like I'm sitting on a hot griddle! At one point I had to take off my wet cooling vest and place it in my crotch.
I think the extra air over the engine is now being forced under the seat. I can't find the posts by people who have put heat shields under the tank or seat. What material do you use as a shield? Is it the foil-backed material you'd use under the carpet in a car?

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
Reflectix insulating material. Usually available at Lowes. It looks like bubble wrap enclosed in Mylar foil.

This stuff is easy to work with. A pair of sharp scissors is all you need. It can also be used to make other items like insulated pouches for your water bladders. Cut to size and sew on a sewing machine with upholstery thread.

The material will age over time if it is subject to much disturbance. The material under my seat is still in good condition after a couple of years. Fewer roasted nuts, better cooling.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
Attempt number one with the heat shield.
I cut two pieces of Reflectix. One is under the tank and goes down under the rear of the tank almost to the seat latch. The second piece that you see here extends forward under the tank. I cut notches to fit it around hoses. After I took this picture I shaped it a bit better but you get the general idea. With the seat on, it's completely hidden. You can't tell it's there.
One concern I had early on was whether the material would interfere with the seat, but there is plenty of space under the seat. It doesn't get in the way at all. I hope to find time to test it next weekend. Too hot to commute on the ST this week in Phoenix.

Top Bottom