Article [13] ST1300 - Heat Issue

Bike
FJR1300
HueyDriver- ever get your heat issue figured out? You posted in March and you're in Oklahoma; I can't imagine what you may be going thru now, in summer. I am wondering, what type of gear are you wearing when you ride? I don't recall if you specified that. Are you wearing riding boots? below-the-ankle-(tennis) shoes? shorts and sandles?

Two_wheeled- looking forward to your review. What kind of seat do you have? I've always had a Corbin and never knew what a stock seat was like. Well, I recently got one and have since noticed that the seat material makes my butt sweat. Is the stock seat vinyl? seems like it. Anyway, I also have an Alaskan Leather Butt Pad, to use in cooler weather, but I found it also serves an additional benefit--it's just as comfortable in the summer. Not sure how it does it but my butt doesn't sweat like it does without it. I suppose the sheepskin acts like a barrier of sorts and perhaps is trapping air in the fur; almost like it's protecting me in much of the same ways as it would the animal. I also have the fairing deflectors, which seems to shield my knees and shins from the heat. I originally got the deflectors for creating a bigger air pocket for my pillion. Long story, short--Deflectors and the Butt Pad; both purchased for different reasons but have the discovered benefit of additional heat management.

jgfried

Team Colorado
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300
How about, instead of pushing more air in or blocking it, we could find a way to pull more air out?
Would it be possible to extend the cowling out from the cylinder heads, increasing the suction and pull the hot air out before it can become a problem in other locations?

Bike
FJR1300
jgfried - interesting notion you have. Could a natural vacuum be created if air-flow was allowed to pass through an inlet in the front and somehow exhausted out the back? Some kind of flex tubing, hose, whatever, routed from the engine compartment or other hot area, and maybe ported into the rear wheel well? The tube or air-flow channel would be only a couple of feet, if that. I have no idea if the concept, much less the execution, would help or is even plausible.

Bike
07 Yamaha FJR1300AE
My report:
The bubble wrap foil insulation (see the previous page in this thread) under the tank and seat didn't work as well as I had hoped. It made a difference but after an hour on the highway it's as if all that engine heat just needs somewhere to go, and I'm in the way.
For a test I removed the inner fairing panels, as others have done, and that made quite a significant difference. I didn't like the bike without them, however, so I put them back on. I might try to modify them to allow more air flow through them. Or maybe I'll just buy a bag of ice every couple hours and sit on it. :)

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
For a test I removed the inner fairing panels, as others have done, and that made quite a significant difference. I didn't like the bike without them, however, so I put them back on.
Steve, take them off again and use a couple black zipties to hold the side fairing panels together. That's what I did. It returns the rigidity that is missing without the inner cowlings and you can hardly even see them. :)

--Dave

Roseknight

Cone Killer
Bike
'05 ST1300
I was thinking of cutting them out to form a frame work and putting mesh in to visually fill the holes...

Bike
'07 ST1300
HueyDriver- ever get your heat issue figured out? You posted in March and you're in Oklahoma; I can't imagine what you may be going thru now, in summer. I am wondering, what type of gear are you wearing when you ride? I don't recall if you specified that. Are you wearing riding boots? below-the-ankle-(tennis) shoes? shorts and sandles?
No, I never did anything. I just have been accepting that this is an issue and after a longer trip, sometimes I just open my legs wide and allow the cool air to rush in. Mostly, I did not ride much during the 60+ days of 100+ degree heat. I have a Kawasaki Versys and rode that more...but still did not ride much. I got an open face helmet for the hotter weather, and dealt with the heat issues when I did ride.

On of those days, I was out riding the Versys in 106 degree heat, saw a kid walking in a really remote area and he kinda flagged me down, so I went to go see if I could help. He had red hair, fair skin, no hat, no water...he was already really cooked at that point...and he asked me where Czech Hall road was. It was the next one up. I asked him where he was going and I was shocked when he told me. His chosen path took him nowhere near any place to get water, food or seek shelter. He was maybe 13 years old.

Usually I do not ride anyone without a helmet, but I told him to get on. I drove him 5.5 miles to his destination (I looked it up later to see how far it was). Had I not picked him up and drove him home, he probably would have died. We already had 9 heat related fatalities before then. I am glad to know we did not have another that day. The whole thing kinda freaked me out. Where were the parents???

I did not get a lot of details about the kid or why he was out walking in that area by himself, so unprepared. I was just glad I found him when I did, and got him home safely.

How about, instead of pushing more air in or blocking it, we could find a way to pull more air out?
Would it be possible to extend the cowling out from the cylinder heads, increasing the suction and pull the hot air out before it can become a problem in other locations?
I have thought about this a lot. I just have never opened the cowling up to look or take things apart, but my thoughts were a hole in the rear plastic inner fender and an electric cooling fan of some kind. I just do not know if the air would go there or not.

In all logic, I would think that if we could create an exit hole of sufficient diameter, somewhere in the aft portion of the engine compartment, with a fan substantial enough to suck the air out, we could eliminate the issue all together.

Bike
FJR1300
Wow HueyDriver, what a story. Good on you for doing what you did! Pretty heroic in my book. Your forum moniker, HueyDriver, seems quite fitting...a bird used to transport and save troops. I thank the maker that there are guys like you out there.
:bow1:

Take care.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Wow HueyDriver, what a story. Good on you for doing what you did! Pretty heroic in my book. Your forum moniker, HueyDriver, seems quite fitting...a bird used to transport and save troops. I thank the maker that there are guys like you out there.
:bow1:

Take care.
Thanks...but I like to think it is something anyone would do for another human being, and do not think it 'heroic" in any way. I think "heroic" is more like jumping in a raging river to save someone or running into a burning building when others are running out. I do not think I have ever been tested to that level, and hope to never be. You always want to think you will do something like that, but never know until you have to really pass that test.

I flew medevac for a while and when you are sitting in the front, you do not want to know what is happening in the back. All YOU want to do is get everyone there safely. If that means the patient does not make it, then that is what it means. If you worry about getting someone there at the expense of everyone else, no one wins.

Bike
2005 ST1300 ABS
Hi guys, I just got mine yesterday and rode it in 72/74 degree heat here in Vancouver with over 80% humidity which is really rare for us and I cannot imagine riding this bike in any lower usa states. It is not too warm up here and the heat coming off the bike near my ankles was overwhelming in city traffic. Did not notice heat from seat or gas tank. We usually don't go above 80 degrees here in the summer with zero humidity..

I am surprised though that people here on this thread have tried a lot of things - removed this and that.. drilled holes.. but no images or instructions so others (like me) could follow. I hope you all add some pics to share with us what you have done. Thanks.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
hmmmm. I have absolutely NO issues with heat what so ever...... I really just do not understand the complaints of heat.
I guess I must like it hot. I do know that the air deflectors make a huge difference. Yes, I am running with both sets. Must be the difference.

Bike
ST1300
Guys - Thought I'd follow up on this and add some pics of modifications. I would appreciate if someone can explain where the "inner - fairings" are that they are removing.
My issue(s) tend to be - a) heat at ankles (predominately left side), b) mid calf area.

My assumptions for heat escapes in a couple place:
1. The lower fairing near front where it opens on the side and you can see the mufflers. If you follow the lines of that area, you can see it's going to direct heat to your feet.
2. Area around the KickStand (where it connects). - Put your bike on the center stand, lay down and look at the area around the kickstand where it connects. With the kickstand up and down position.

3.Mentioned here but not experienced - Seat Heat (crotch area): I've had my tank off several times for running wires. There is 1 area under the tank, near the crotch area where there is insulation in all but that spot. I'm curious if others have a larger opening in that area OR if it is possible to cover that opening with a piece of insulation. I believe it is there merely to allow an opening for running wires. To lift of the tank, it's 2 screws in the front of the tank (9mm I think) and nut and bolt under the tank /under seat. Just slide it up and back and you can see under the shell of it. There really isn't much to the tank. It's surprisingly small.

So, I started with locations 1 - 2 above.

Here are a couple of farkles I have undertaken to test various scenarios about the heat.
1. Aluminum Piece / Heat shield : Simple fix, Remove the two bolts from the kickstand to expose the area. Make pattern, I used cardboard. Cut out a small piece of aluminum to work behind that spot on the bike. NOTE- it is best to approach sliding the material into the area by pushing it in and down, then pull it back up into place. Takes a little bit but you'll figure it out. tools needed (Socket to fit, Aluminum Piece (maybe 5" x 6"), and tin snips.

Behind Kickstand.JPG
Kickstand_Post Mod.JPG

Once your kickstand is screwed back on, you won't even notice it is there. Heat seemed to be less but hard to give any quantifiable measurement.

Area 2 - Lower fairing where primary exhaust pipes are visible.
I was interested in testing this to see if the airflow moving outward would help deflect some of the air, and as a side benefit, rain around my feet in event of rain rinding.

photo 3.JPG

Did this on both sides. My results / opinions:
1. Heat shield behind kickstand - easy tweak and worth the try.
2. Deflectors - just something to do, can't really say if that wind coming back is better than no wind at all in an already hot area. Really aren't even noticeable.

PS- I have a Seargent Seat (so not as much on the heat front), built a custom little back rest that fits between the seat and pillion, and a couple other modifications.
One way to consider heat is also to not forget your front windshield. I posted a customization effort on that front to raise the screen up 1" and it creates a little more air coming underneath.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I have a 2005 ST-1300. When I got it, it would definitely roast your chestnuts and your ankles. After reading countless posts, I did the following that reduced the heat to the point that it is no longer uncomfortable on warm/hot days (in fact on very cold winter days I kind of wish I could get some of that heat back).

1. I totally removed the inner cowlings.

2. I got some heat resistant muffler wrap tape (its silver metallic over a mesh backing) at an auto parts store for about $10. Then I removed the seat and the gas tank, and covered every exposed metal part that I thought could radiate heat, including the metal frame. I know the frame radiates heat because the exposed part inside my knee when riding gets very hot to the touch. I also covered the plastic underside of my seat with the tape. You have to be careful not to obstruct the latch mechanism. Also if you cover too much of the frame with tape, the tape will protrude beneath the bottom of the seat and be visible. About a 1/2 inch of tape is visible on mine, but it's silver tape on a silver frame, so I just left it there rather than trimming it off.

Combined these two modifications really work! I now ride without any concern for getting cooked.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I don't know, but my 07 has not been a problem for me. I rode 350 miles this past Sunday in temps up to 93 and 87% humidity. I did feel some heat, but nothing uncomfortable at all. I do only have a 30" inseam and ride comfortably with my knees and legs tucked behind the fairing and the balls of my feet on the pegs. I've had no issues with my shins or feet getting too hot.

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
2008 and have looked for issues with heat and have had no problem. Since I put my Beadrider on, I have no complaints.

troystr68

Troyster
I just got a 2009 and I noticed with the windshield UP I am hot like a demon
BUT if I lower it I have no issues at all ( so far )
need to get a few thousand more miles on it to be sure

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
For those that have removed their inner cowlings I have a couple of questions;

1) Did you just remove the cowlings and not do anything to support the outer fairings ?
2) If you did the above do you notice and movement, vibration or noise from the outer fairings, are they strong enough without extra support ?
3) I think one member said he zip tied the the outer fairing to something, do we know what is zip tied to what/where ?
4) A big question for me is, if you removed the inner cowlings did you find the bike more stable in dirty air ?

Thanks
JimC

Top Bottom