Article [13] ST1300 - Heat Issue

Bike
2012 ST1300
Has Honda made any adjustments to the ST's over the years to address the heat issues? Are the newer models just as susceptible as a 7 yrs old ST?

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Has Honda made any adjustments to the ST's over the years to address the heat issues? Are the newer models just as susceptible as a 7 yrs old ST?
Nothing to do with age... just some bikes are bad, sone aren't. My '04 was not a hot feeling bike, my '05 definitely let's you know it is summer. Parts are exactly the same between them. Must be just a subtle difference in the rubber mat ubder the throttle bodies, orbthe angle of the fan brackets, or the moon under wich your bike was built. :-D

STumped

Because I usually am . . . .
Bike
2012 BMW K1600GT
For those that have removed their inner cowlings I have a couple of questions;

1) Did you just remove the cowlings and not do anything to support the outer fairings ?
2) If you did the above do you notice and movement, vibration or noise from the outer fairings, are they strong enough without extra support ?
3) I think one member said he zip tied the the outer fairing to something, do we know what is zip tied to what/where ?
4) A big question for me is, if you removed the inner cowlings did you find the bike more stable in dirty air ?

Thanks
JimC
Jim, I removed the inner cowlings and I zip tied the outer fairing to each other. I had to use a few zip ties, tied together, to reach but they make a loop across the front of the forks. I even hung an "angel bell" on the ties. When I want to remove the outer cowlings, I simply cut the zip tie in the middle and replace it with a new one on reassembly.

I didn't notice any difference in dirty air but I wasn't paying much attention to that either.

Bike
2006 ST1300
My '06 has some severe heat issues, and where I live probably has something to do with it. However, I hate giving up easy!

I had removed the inner cowl, tie-wrapped the two halves together, and it did make some difference. The Ivan's FCE made no difference in the heat issue, and I resolved, until recently just to put up with it. A ride with my wife in the mountains changed all that- despite wearing mesh gear, and staying moving as much as possible did not really affect the heat problem, so I decided to take action.

I did the Don Ferrario heat fix (http://www.donferrario.com/St1300/), and modified it somewhat. He shows running the reflectix up onto the frame on the sides, which I found to be less than optimal. I ran the reflectix UNDER the frame, isolating it from the heat of the radiator. I also added home made "Baker Air Wings", which cost about $12 to build. I took it on a longish ride in both traffic and back road areas, and the heat is reduced at least 80%. Especially while moving, the heat is tolerable. I now have to remember to keep my knees away from the tank, to allow more cooling, but it's not that hard. The tank is much cooler, and the bike is MUCH nicer to ride.

I still avoid riding when it's above 95*, but now at least.morning rides are okay. I'd love to hear of more "heat fixes" if anybody has any.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Install the factory faring deflectors as these will keep a ton of heat off of you.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

how about remove the side fairings put washers on the bolts and replace creating a gap along the back edge so heat wont collect

Bike
st1300, 2008
I have 2008 st1300 , and so far did not notice any heath related issues, bike is running at steady temprrsture, and yes there is some heath comming from engine , but is quickly dissipsted under and around, there is no hon nuts or hesth on the legs.
Maybe just it is the fix honda did when they changed emission mapings for 2008 model year?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
It is a big motorcycle, with a big engine, and it is gonna get hot.

My '03 gets hot, but not nearly as hot as my air/oil cooled Ducati and/or my Harley.

One thing I did was to put Mylar bubble wrap under the seat at the interface with the tank. Made a big difference.

Two weeks ago I rode my ST 600 miles in one day through eastern Colorado into Kansas. By 2pm it was 104 degrees outside. By 6pm it was 106 degrees. I had a cooling vest and a cooler full of water. Any heat issue I had was with the atmosphere, not the bike.

Top Bottom