Air Wings

Has anyone tried the Baker Built Air wings on their ST? I've seen them often mounted on Gold Wings, but never on an ST. I've checked their web site and they make a model specifically for the ST1300.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
I've seen them on 1100's, but not on a 1300. I do recall reading somewhere (CalSci.com, maybe) a review from someone who found them ineffective.

Bike
07 St1300
yes i got my pair last year at the hoot, sorry to here its not going on this year, but they work great

Last night I installed a set I bought in September.

IMO they don't add anything to the look of our bikes
...(nice way of saying they're ugly)...:eek:4:
and I can't say how they work either. Hopefully I will get a chance to ride tomorrow and will have something to report on function, but either way I'll take some photos and post them tomorrow evening.

You can decide on the aesthetics.

Here are some photos.

Jan 1 2009: Wanted to add that after going for a 15 mile ride the air wings can change the air flow quite a bit.

When "open" they vent the cockpit area a lot and help reduce the back pressure felt when the windshield is raised.

They also add ventilation around the lower legs and reduce the heat we feel from air coming out around the heads.

What is really noticable is when I "close" the air wings I can feel the heat stay around my thighs and shins. This is great right now as it is cooler...like having a heater. Would be bad in the summer, but with them open or in the middle position I can bet they will help manage the heat and will be more comfortable when it warms up again.

IMO the function of these units is worth the effect they have esthetically. The clear units are not as noticable as the dark tinted ones.

Attachments

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Where does the air hit you? mostly legs or up to the chest area?

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I would say crotch area. I have them and they are a life saver.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
On the Wing they are awesome. Great idea for the ST, but yes a tad ugly. I'll take if for function. Get the light smoke colour, they tend to fade into the background and not be so obnoxious.... I mean.... obvious.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just had Baker Air Wings installed by them at the BMW rally. They mount them right above the oil intake cover. Air flow is improved to the crotch area. Also if turned the opposite way air flow is reduced.
I know you're having heat issues, does this help with that?

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Funny that I should see this at this time. I just picked up some smoked ones on ebay and am awaiting their arrival. They were very helpful on my Valkyrie...and when I'm heating up on the ST I sometimes reach a hand down just past my knee, to funnel cooler air in on my lower leg and crotch area. Prior to the purchase from ebay, I too had heard that they don't work on ST's, but my hand past the knee thing really worked well...so I bought them.

Glad to hear that some of us have good things to say about them. If they help when the temps are up in the 80's and 90's, or higher, I'll put up with the less than appealing appearance, and take them off in cooler weather. But then again, if they help keep me warm in the winter I'll just deal with the looks.

Mine should be here any day...I'll keep you posted.

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
They're here! But I can't install them. I've got my switch for my heated grips installed on the left just below the pocket cover and that's where one of the Air Wing supports attach. I've got the replacement part ordered, so I can move the switch, and then I'll get them installed.

Kinda wish I had them on though as I'm headed down to Fort Leonard Wood later this week for a nephew's graduation from basic training.

Oh well...I'll survive!!

indypup

Accidents HURT! Safety doesn't
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
They're here! But I can't install them. I've got my switch for my heated grips installed on the left just below the pocket cover and that's where one of the Air Wing supports attach. I've got the replacement part ordered, so I can move the switch, and then I'll get them installed.

Kinda wish I had them on though as I'm headed down to Fort Leonard Wood later this week for a nephew's graduation from basic training.

Oh well...I'll survive!!
You don't need to move the switch. I had the same issue and just moved the wing up a bit in order to miss the switch. I have a voltmeter installed on the right side so I had to move it up too. I had to round out the corners of the lids to the easy bake ovens. ;)

DANS ST

AKA Dan Nelson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Nice job indypup. Very nice photos too. I've already spent the money on that piece...but then again I really like where my switch is.

Headed to Ft. Leonard Wood tomorrow morning after an oil change...I'll have to do some pondering.

Top Bottom