1991 ST1100 project

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
K, here's the plan. I'm leaving here early Friday, will land at Jay's house early Saturday. We'll do what we can 'til he has to quit for the day. I'll be free to do whatever the rest of Saturday 'til about noon on Sunday.

Dave, you gonna be working on yours?

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I finally got the carb out, I will be ordering some of the parts tonight or tommorrow. I peeked inside the valve...well there is a little bit of gunk on a couple of them. And George I only have some basic tools what do you think I need aside from screwdrivers and some socket wrenches.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Don't worry Jay; he'll have both sides of his bike loaded down with tools!

Of course he will not need any other than a piece of straw, a brass thread and his mac-guy-ver... Oh... and some beer! :)

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Don't worry Jay; he'll have both sides of his bike loaded down with tools!

Of course he will not need any other than a piece of straw, a brass thread and his mac-guy-ver... Oh... and some beer! :)
Shows how much you know. Coffee, I need coffee. :D

Jay, I'll have an assortment of tools (always do) including a couple of specialty tools. With what you have we'll be fine.

See ya Saturday morning.

Bike
'08 Connie C14
STOC #
:bigpop: Anxiously waiting the continuation of this thread.

BTW, I used a piece of 3/4 re bar the last time I pried the carbs up. Size was appropriate to the corner I was working in:) Oh. I used RTV Blue for lubricant when I set mine. I was very concerned about the age of the boots (isolaters) and the possibility of air leaks. I'll have to replace them next time...

Bike
2011 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
Terry, ya need the flexy-shaft D-shaped tip special tool to reach and adjust the low-speed jets. PITA, but it can be done. Some have made their own using a short piece of brass tubing flattened on one side. Don't know what they used for the flex shaft.

Is the special tool a Honda item or is it generic? If it is a Honda item does anyone have the part number? If generic, who makes it and where can it be obtained? And does anyone have any pictures of the home made variety and instructions on how to fabricate one?

This is a great thread and very timely in my circumstance. I am on the verge of pulling the carbs so I can replace coolant hoses and I have been experiencing some carb issues myself. When I first start the bike the idle speed will drop to about 800 - 900 rpm without the choke on just a bit until after I have ridden a while. Then everything is normal without the use of the choke. I have run some Sea Foam through the tank and some Techron which has helped some in that the idle doesnt drop as much as it used to when this issue first presented itself but things still arent quite right. I sure wish I could make the Carb STOC.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I ordered the parts today gaskets for the air cleaner housing, carb insulators, some screws. David put up a good point, any ideas of what kind of carb cleaners I need to have? George, I have enough coffee however I don't have breakfast blend, I have the classic roast will that be fine? Just tell me, I can stop by Costco and get some.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I ordered the parts today gaskets for the air cleaner housing, carb insulators, some screws. David put up a good point, any ideas of what kind of carb cleaners I need to have? George, I have enough coffee however I don't have breakfast blend, I have the classic roast will that be fine? Just tell me, I can stop by Costco and get some.
Classic Roast is fine, Jay. :D

I'll carry WD-40 (pretty good cleaner) and Acetone (harsh but effective) and a tube of Plumbers Grease. Pick up a can of Techron or Sea Foam to add for the after-work test ride.

I'll be amazed if the new carb insulators arrive in time.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I actually cleaned the carbs with one of my Marines with me. I found the culprit, all four jets are clogged up, a few dirt from the bowl, aside from that everything else is fine. Now my problem is the carb insulators, I just ordered them today, I haven't really looked at the old ones yet, from my quick glance I don't see any tear. I might just clean them up and use them to see if it solves my problem. Or I can just continue with the other projects, drain the coolant change the oil and filter.

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Definitely do the fluid, filter changes... don't forget the brake (front and rear) and clutch!
George's suggestion of seafoam is good as it will clean varnish off the internals; so, you'll want to run a a tank with it in through the system.

Mark

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I bought the fluids and filter today. I will be running just an ordinary oil then after a couple of thousand miles I am thinking of using AMSOIL, I have to go get my preferred customer back first. I have the pics just too lazy to put it up, I'll try tonight.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks George, wish I could be there. Jaysponger thank you for sharing your pics.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

This is prior to getting out the carbs, notice my nice shirt covering up the intake. That's very thorough right there....LOL. And if you notice those little brown pieces on top of the engine, those are some of the "broomstick" pieces. Oh, yeah those are Honda's in the garage, my Chevy is outside. You gotta have priorities...

Last edited:
OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Thanks George, as always very helpful. The insulators does not look bad, I might just use it and keep what I ordered as spare for later breakdown.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Thanks George, as always very helpful. The insulators does not look bad, I might just use it and keep what I ordered as spare for later breakdown.
Jay, the pics don't show here. Might be a size issue, I think 800x600 is the biggest you can attach.

Was gonna suggest you keep those new boots for when ya do the coolant hoses. With a hair dryer and plumber's grease we'll get yur carbs back on the old ones.

OP
OP
jaysponger

jaysponger

Jay Rena
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I can actually see the pictures hmmm...I wonder whats wrong. I am kinda embarassed i am the young'un and i am computer illiterate.

Top Bottom