16,000 mile Prudhoe Bay Trip,,, what do I need!!!

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Ok,,, I leave in just about 8 weeks!!! I,,, THOUGHT,,, I was going in 2010... WRONG!!! Tim Yow jumped it up a year and we are going this year!!!

Heading to Key West,,, San Diego,,, and Prudhoe Bay... I head home and Tim is just a little over 1/2 way on his trip... :hyp1:

I am,,, taking the ST-1300... So,,, base all comments toward this bike if ya can...

# 1 ~~~ I am thinking about wearing my Mesh Motoport the whole trip... Liners for cool weather... Rain coat over the Coat and liners for Cold weather... Do I need my Electrics??? I am trying to take as little as possible you see... Electrics do NOT pack small... But,,, the Gloves might be a necessity...

# 2 ~~~ Mesh pants,,, same deal... I am afraid the "No-See-Ums and Mosquitos will get through my Mesh and eat me alive!!!:eek:

# 3 ~~~ Only other option i see is Pack my Hein Gericke jacket and pants and at Seattle ship my Motoport home... But,,, it gets hot in Alaska too...

# 4 ~~~ I checked the valves 22,000 miles ago,,, Check again ya think???

# 5 ~~~ Considering a Spot so people can follow along... Make TLC happy I think too...

# 6 ~~~ What on the bike needs done??? Replace the Brake pads??? I flushed the Clutch and Brakes last year... I am thinking this will be smarter to do when I return...

Give me your list of "Do's and Don't"!!!

drrod

Site Supporter
Bike
'04 ST1300
STOC #
Terry,
What time of year are you going?
I ride here with a JR Alter Ego jacket and pants (has removable panels for ventilation when it gets really warm). Rarely do I put the water proof liners in (only when it gets down close to freezing) as I find that they do not breathe very well and I end up sweating. I do use a heated vest when it gets under 50 degrees and a good pair of warm weather gloves. What I find most useful is to use my under layers that I ski in. Not bulky so they pack small and you can easily vary your comfort from day to day or even during the day. An added bonus is that you can wash them out in the motel sink and they are dry by morning.
For rain protection I carry a Frogg Togg suit. Packs compact and is breathable but does end up leaking a bit if caught in a prolonged downpour.

Give some thought to coming up through the Calary/Banff/Jasper way (you kinda have to do this anyway if you want to start at the beginning of the Alaska Hiway) and maybe I can ride with you for a bit.
Hope this helps.
Rod

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
I will be taking to wear,,, for the 30 days this,,, not including what I will wear out of the shop...

3 pairs of Coolmax Socks... Different slightly each pair... I am a firm believer in,,, you wear 1 style 1 day,,, another the next...

3 Coolmax Long Sleeve shirts... I can be outside in 100 degree heat,,, and be cooler than a guy with no shirt... I kid,,, you not... Also,,, works well when i have my Cool Vest on as it helps wick the water everywhere,,, and releases the water to help cool me off too...

3 Pair of Underwear... LD Riders i will leave the Shop with... Also,,, 2 pairs of Nike Sport Underwear,,, Coolmax... 1 Bicycle padded shorts... Each day change off to something different...

1 pair of Long Underwear,,, maybe 2 pair...

1 Short sleeve Coolmax shirt...

1 swim trunks...

1 pair of Sleeping shorts/walking shorts/Pie/BBQ/Brisket eating shorts... Ok,,, make that 2 pair... :D

1 pair of sandals...

1 pair of Coolmax Pants I can walk around in...

That be it...

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Give some thought to coming up through the Calary/Banff/Jasper way (you kinda have to do this anyway if you want to start at the beginning of the Alaska Hiway) and maybe I can ride with you for a bit.
Hope this helps.
Will be parting ways with Tim north around Jasper i think... he heads off to Goose bay before then,,, heading back to Key West... :cool:

I will,,, be heading down from Jasper to Lake louise... Did it before but,,, would do it every week if i had a chance!!! :D

Be great to meet up and ride together!!! :bow1:

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
1 swim trunks...
For Prudhoe Bay I assume?!? :hyp1:

Valves aren't likely to change on your trip but you are past due on the inspection. (Ya know I could have done this for you when we did Tom's bike...).

How many miles due you typically get out of a set of brake pads? If the pads have more than half their material still on you shouldn't need to replace them before hand. You are probably going to be doing a lot of highway miles, no?

Definitely check wheel and final drive bearings as Matt suggests. These might get a pounding out there.

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Flush/bleed your hydraulics before you leave. Replace worn pads before the flush.
Will do...

Check valves before you leave. Checking takes all of half a day.
Rodger...

Change oil/filter.
Coolant, if it hasn't been done in a while, I'd do it. You're pulling plastics anyway, might as well get it done.
Might just do it again... It has 26,000 miles on it now... Might just change the T-stat while I am in there too...

Check the air filter.
Needs replaced,,, yup...

I'd start that trip with fresh rubber on the rims, but that's just me.
I will... Then i am sending a set up to "Wheeldog" who has a Machine in Fairbanks Tim knows well... We will both change tires there... For me I will be setting at 8,000 miles,,, and the Haul Road is next... :eek::

Check wheel bearings and final drive bearings.
Should I just replace,,, or if they are ok,,, roll with them...

I'd do most of this asap and get at least a couple of short day rides to verify the bike is go for launch.
I will have this all done by,,, June 1 for sure...

Thanks!!!

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
For Prudhoe Bay I assume?!? :hyp1:
I am walking into the artic Ocean... Swimming??? I will have to be high on a sugar rush to do that... (((66.9% chance the answer is,,, yes)))

Valves aren't likely to change on your trip but you are past due on the inspection. (Ya know I could have done this for you when we did Tom's bike...).
have ya ever noticed I suck at asking for help??? :eek:: Local Honda guy is good,,, cheap,,, and Good... Did I mention Cheap???

How many miles due you typically get out of a set of brake pads? If the pads have more than half their material still on you shouldn't need to replace them before hand. You are probably going to be doing a lot of highway miles, no?
So,,, why not just start out with new pads??? you think I need to carry a set with me??? The Calcium Cloride might just really really suck the brake pads up...

Definitely check wheel and final drive bearings as Matt suggests. These might get a pounding out there.[/QUOTE] You suggest new ones??? What about a new T-Stat???

- Tire plug kit & 12v compressor. Know how to use them.
- First aid kit
- Gorilla tape (Wally World) works better than duct tape; baling wire
- Extra storage cards for camera
- Spare bulbs for all lights
- Spare IGNITION KEY hidden somewhere on the bike.
- DEET (as strong as you can find); mosquito net. You may not need either at the time you are going, but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
- Plenty of ibuprofen or whatever you use to reduce aches & pains
- On board hydration system, Camelback, whatever. Stay hydrated!!!
- Spare set of everyday riding gloves. Nothing worse than losing ONE glove... (DAMHIKT)
- At least one Moonshine T-shirt...
- Develop a "pre-flight checklist" of things to look at every day before starting out: oil level, tire pressures, tire condition, lights, etc. Fix small problems before they become big problems. Don't want to start an oil thread war, but I use Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic/Pure One filter combination and have gone the distance without having to do an oil change.
- If you are "on the clock" get a SunPass for Florida's Turnpike. It's unique to that system and their toll booths are a PITA.
- SPOT tracker = GOOD. Please set up a public page at Jason Jonas' site so we can follow your progress.

Just my $0.02

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
If the Motoport is the Kevlar mesh there isn't a bug around that can bite through it... (the mesh is too thick).

What are the low temps that you are expecting?
A lined liner will do with extra layers underneath would work for a while; but, you're not stopping... so hypothermia would get you if you don't have the *right* stuff...

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Lots of good advice so far.

Cut yur clothes allotment in half. Carry the 'lectrics. (AMHIK!!!!)l;

Have Tim (Two Brothers Tires) send a set of tars up there, start the Haul Road on fresh rubber.

Be Careful!!

See ya in about 10 days.

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Tire plug kit & 12v compressor. Know how to use them
- First aid kit
Done...

- Gorilla tape (Wally World) works better than duct tape; baling wire
- Extra storage cards for camera
Will get...

- Spare bulbs for all lights
Need a few...

- Spare IGNITION KEY hidden somewhere on the bike.
-

I have 3,,, but you know me... :eek::

DEET (as strong as you can find); mosquito net. You may not need either at the time you are going, but better to have it and not need it than the other way around.
ordering the No-Seeum hat and will get the Deet...

-
Plenty of ibuprofen or whatever you use to reduce aches & pains
- On board hydration system, Camelback, whatever. Stay hydrated!!!
- Spare set of everyday riding gloves. Nothing worse than losing ONE glove... (DAMHIKT)
- At least one Moonshine T-shirt...
Rodger,,, Rodger,,, I am taking to many gloves,,, but that is how I roll... yup,,, 1 Moonshine shirt... That is,,, If I own a new one by then...

- Develop a "pre-flight checklist" of things to look at every day before starting out: oil level, tire pressures, tire condition, lights, etc. Fix small problems before they become big problems. Don't want to start an oil thread war, but I use Rotella T 5W-40 Synthetic/Pure One filter combination and have gone the distance without having to do an oil change.
Good Thoughts!!!

- If you are "on the clock" get a SunPass for Florida's Turnpike. It's unique to that system and their toll booths are a PITA.
- SPOT tracker = GOOD. Please set up a public page at Jason Jonas' site so we can follow your progress.

Just my $0.02
Yeah,,, I maybe should the pass... I have had Rick Madlem offer me his spot,,, but a trip like this I might need to buy,,, rather than borrow... I will sign up with Jason Jonas site which is a very great way to stay connected... :bow1:

Still thinking about a Small Laptop but again,,, this is a trip spent a ton riding and visiting,,, not sure how much Internet Checking time I might have...

Thanks Mike!!!:bow1:

jgfried

Team Colorado
Bike
ST1300
passport!!!
are you camping (gallons of bug spray)
lots of luck
the alaska highway is always under repair, be prepared for gravel in some spots and some long delays in others
the truckers DO own the highway from fairbanks to deadhorse, stay out of their way as much as possible
have fun

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
If the Motoport is the Kevlar mesh there isn't a bug around that can bite through it... (the mesh is too thick).
It is Kevlar Mesh... I am starting to agree with you...

What are the low temps that you are expecting?
A lined liner will do with extra layers underneath would work for a while; but, you're not stopping... so hypothermia would get you if you don't have the *right* stuff...
I do not know the Temps yet... See,,, I thought I had 1 more year for these details!!! LOL!!! Tim could write a book on Alaska and he can tell me a lot of these answers but as you know,,, I like to hear everyones ideas... :bow1:;)

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
Cut yur clothes allotment in half. Carry the 'lectrics. (AMHIK!!!!)l;
That means I will be taking 1 1/2 pair of Socks/Shirts/Underwear and Shirts!!! :crackup Ok,,, counting what I am wearing when the Kitchen pass starts leaving,,, i would only be taking 2 pairs of each???

Ok,,, I will figure the electrics... ;)

Have Tim (Two Brothers Tires) send a set of tars up there, start the Haul Road on fresh rubber.

Be Careful!!

See ya in about 10 days.
Tim has already been contacted and he is looking at the BESTEST set of tires for me to change into... Talked to Tom Loftus at Moonshine and he made it up there on a set of Metzler 880's... He thinks the Pilot Road II's would be good too... Need to e-mail him and ask more info... :bow1:

George your oil cap is setting on my bench in the shop... Stainless stell Table that is... Also,,, a Decal that you are to take too... :D

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
You need comments from Uncle Phil and Motomac who have done the trip too...

I agree with the bug spray... DEET at a minimum of 27%... whenever you expect to be exposed (all day!).

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
passport!!!
are you camping (gallons of bug spray)
lots of luck
the alaska highway is always under repair, be prepared for gravel in some spots and some long delays in others
the truckers DO own the highway from fairbanks to deadhorse, stay out of their way as much as possible
have fun
Passport!!! Yup,,, I can't forget it this time like i did in Mexico this year!!! LOL!!!

Nearly none,,, maybe no Camping for us... tim knows a ton of people and places to stay... We will share a bed,,, uuumm,,, a ROOM,,, SHARE A ROOM I SAY!!! :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Austin city limits

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
You need comments from Uncle Phil and Motomac who have done the trip too...

I agree with the bug spray... DEET at a minimum of 27%... whenever you expect to be exposed (all day!).
I will contact the DEET Board and see about getting some pure,,, 109% Deet... Also,,, Deet bathing Tablets for a bath... :D

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
have ridden to alaska six times. up the dempster highway once.

here's my short "must haves" liST.

a) set of ski underwear...(weather is constantly changing and it DOES get cooold even in the summer)

b) headlight protection

c) flat-proof (some of the road surfacing can create havoc on your tires) and
a 'stop and go' tire repair kit with extra compressed air cartridges.

d) extra fuses, bulbs, duct tape, wire, rags,

e) comprehensive first -aid kit

f) fire starter flint or cubes.(find 'em at a camping store), and waterproof matches.

g) bear-spray or high decibel air horn in a can. (the kind used on boats or sports games)
it will stop a bear in it's tracks and give you time to make a hasty retreat.(i have first hand experience) the bear spray is ok but i must say if you are that close to have to use it..then it's too late. (it's more psychological)

h) three pair of gloves for warm and cold weather riding, two sets of waterproof over-gloves. one set of rubber boots with felt inner soles, wool socks.

i) prepackaged dehydrated emergency food, enough for 5 days.

j) high concentration bug repellent along with mosquito/black fly bug hat and jacket. (you can pick the bug STuff up there in a hunting store. they'll have the beST kind.

k) a very good hunting knife and top line multi-tool

h) finally..a good sleeping bag and pad (thermarest).[water-repellent if possible]

this may seem like over-kill but all you need is to have to use some of this Stuff once and it's paid for itself. even if not used at all you certainly will have peace-of-mind. none of this takes up much space and could be the difference of a safe trip or a miserable one.

get your self a 'fenda-extenda' if you can and check your rad covering constantly for mud buildup.

have fun

rob h

Top Bottom