BlueGauges - red LED, right side LCD

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
Well, just got my gauges back from Scott at BlueGauges

Had the right side LCD display done in red. $90

This includes return shipping and, extremely well done packing on the return trip!

So far, what an improvement!! I can actually see the display in direct evening sun and, from 40 feet away!

Got to see Woodybell's at Tentstoc and, I knew I had to have this farkle performed.

Here are a couple of shots. It's currently overcast in Denver but, I did manage to grab on shot from 40 feet away with the evening sun hitting the cluster.

I will post some other shots with reflected and direct sunlight as soon as we get that here.

First shot, 40 feet away. Evening sun hitting gauges.

Second shot, closer. Ton of glare from evening sun on gauges!

Third shot, up close from driver position. In garage.

If the sun comes out in the next few days, I'll put on my HiViz and, take some reflected sun pictures at helmet height position.

Quick, professional service and turn around from Scott. Extremely fast responses to e-mails & questions. So far, I would give them a +10 on service.

Blue STreak

Bob Meyer
STOC #
Re: BlueGauges, red LED, right side LCD

How bright is it at night? My concern with making the gauges brighter in daylight is that they'll be too bright at night.

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

How bright is it at night? My concern with making the gauges brighter in daylight is that they'll be too bright at night.
The pictures posted are with the clock/illum function at the highest function/setting.

The sun was poking through the clouds, about 2 hours from sunset, with almost maximum glare on the cluster.

You have two more clicks to lower illumination. :)

This weekend, I will toss up some more information & pictures of night riding and, overall visibility.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

I really like the looks fo the reverse LCD mod but I'm curious how bright that is at night.. the red is probably the best option for night vision.

Blue One

Vendor
Bike
04 ABS ST1300

I had my gauges changed to blue for the gauge backlight and the LCD reversal and the LCD in blue also.

I have posted pictures of them in the dark, but it is very difficult to get a true idea of how they look in the dark with a camera picture. The camera tends to gather the light and amplify it makeing it look much brighter than it is.

With the LCD screen in blue and dimmed to the lowest setting it is a nice soft blue easy on the eyes at night. And the display is still easy to read.

During the day it is amazing. Take a look at these two daylight shots. I was sitting in the seat for the first one and standing behind the trunk for the second.

I can actually see my display with my 55 yr old eyes and no reading glasses. :bow1:

Not a hope to do the same before this. I had to lean down towards the dash and squint :D

No more of that !

Larry .

Attachments

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #

:doh1:
I was half way home last night, probably 2 min behind you Mark, when I remembered that I wanted to look at your sporty new dash colors! What are your impressions now that you've got a night ride in? Which of the 3 brightness levels did you end up using at night? :)

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Hey!!! Can they 'reverse' the whole thing? I think I would prefer 'black-on-white' instead of 'white-on-black'.... ??? :confused:
:cool:

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

Just wanted to give an update on how well I am liking the right side, red LED's so far.

The first trip, got to try them at night.

They are really cool at night! I passed an SUV who later caught up with me at a traffic light. The driver rolled down his window and remarked "dude, that is a totally awesome bike." He really wanted to know all about my STeed. He also said "It looks like a friggin fighter jet from behind with your gauges!" :bow1:

I had the dimmer set on full brightness the first night. They are wicked at night! It really does feel like you are in a fighter jet.

The next day, I got to see how they looked all day. From sun up at 6:00 AM to nighttime at 8:45 PM.

I love this modification/farkle!

The whole trip, with the sun directly behind me at times hitting the gauges and, later with the sun in front of me with it reflected off my Hi-Vis jacket, I could actually read the right side gauges for the entire trip.

It really was a great experience to be able to look at the right side gauges any time I wanted and, be able to see and read them every time!

I actually clicked the dimmer down a notch or two, coming home the second night.

I could still see the "worthless" speedo (untouched, no mod's done) and, the right side gauges where still "wicked!"

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #

What was the turnaround time? Total time you were without the bike?

Thanks!
Week & a half bike down.

I made the mistake and shipped on a Friday. Better to wait and ship on a Monday. Probably knock a day or two off total down time.

Scott at blue gauges let me know when they arrived in NY and, 3 days later they where back on my door step.

Good time to clean & lube the windshield tracks and, install ACL's laser turn signal indicator thingies.

Bike
ST1300ABS
STOC #

I had my gauges changed to blue for the gauge backlight and the LCD reversal and the LCD in blue also.

I have posted pictures of them in the dark, but it is very difficult to get a true idea of how they look in the dark with a camera picture. The camera tends to gather the light and amplify it makeing it look much brighter than it is.

With the LCD screen in blue and dimmed to the lowest setting it is a nice soft blue easy on the eyes at night. And the display is still easy to read.

During the day it is amazing. Take a look at these two daylight shots. I was sitting in the seat for the first one and standing behind the trunk for the second.

I can actually see my display with my 55 yr old eyes and no reading glasses. :bow1:

Not a hope to do the same before this. I had to lean down towards the dash and squint :D

No more of that !

Larry .
I assume that is a gear indicator you have installed within the gauge cluster on the right? Would love to hear how to do that and where to get the part from.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300

I am so confused...Before I found this thread I sent this message to Scott and got this reply:
Don't let him confuse you. Just get an upgrade done, whichever you like and can afford. You will like it, especially if not being able to read it is bugging you. I got the red upgrade like Milehigh and love it, it is perfectly readable in all daylight conditions.

Bike
2007 ST 1300

Your photos are the first I've seen with the reverse LCD in blue. I think its totally what I am looking for! Thanks for the photos, have you ever shot them in dark?

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
Does anyone know what Bluegauges is actually doing to enhance the visibility of the display? Is it more than just changing the color?

Bike
2012 GL1800 III
Does anyone know what Bluegauges is actually doing to enhance the visibility of the display? Is it more than just changing the color?
I'm currently doing my own .. Bluegauge is replacing the stock yellow plcc-2 LED's with brighter color choice LED's and replacing the LCD color filter/reflector film that the LED's shine through with either a clear/white in order to get the background color. To reverse the polarity , they are removing the polarity film from the back of the LCD and installing reverse polarity film ( characters are black).
Using the stock color filter/reflector film (Yellow) , red or green is the only LED's that actually work . I've tested blue ( looks green) , White ( looks stock but brighter), Green ( looks green), and Red ( looks red). I also swapped out the yellow stock LED's on the turn signal with blue. They shine through a amber lens so now they look green.
By the way, if your decent with SMD soldering (not that hard), you can do the red or green with polarity reverse for about $70.00 dollars in materials , versus $190.00 .
Hope that helps.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #

<snip!>
Larry .
I assume that is a gear indicator you have installed within the gauge cluster on the right? Would love to hear how to do that and where to get the part from.
Hi Larry, I don't see that you answered Toaster's question about the gear indicator.

Can you answer that? Thanks!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
I believe his GPI was built by another member here. Don't know that member still makes them. A popular commercial source is Heal-Tech.

Top Bottom