RoadSmarts - Forget What I Said Earlier...

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Looks like I'm going to have to change my opinion of the Dunlop RoadSmarts. The first set worked great, and could have lasted 10K (got a cut in one a little before that.) The second set worked great, and seemed to be wearing well. Sunday, returning from breakfast at Elk City, I noticed some vibration in the handlebars. Then I heard a slight rhythmic noise coming from the front of the bike. I thought that maybe something had come loose (fender, fairing extension, etc.) It turns out that a chunk of tread had separated from the carcass of the front tire. Fortunately, I stopped before the tire blew. (It's still holding pressure.) I plan to call Dunlop, and possibly the NHTSA, tomorrow. I'm pretty sure there was a previous post on this subject, so I'll do a forum search first. I still had a camera in the top box (from Fred's TireSTOC the day before,) so I got pictures while I waited for my wife, brother-in-law (pays to marry into a big family...) and the pickup truck.

The day after TireSTOC, and I need a new tire... Fortunately, TinyL PM'd me today that his new tire changer had arrived. Looks like I may need to head down to Arkansas City and buy him lunch...

Attachments

STOC #
That's scary looking!

Out of the blue, it just fell apart?

I'm on my second set with no problems, actually like 'em a bunch.

Hummm ?

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Holy Crap! Does anyone make a tire for this lovely bike? My next set (on order) will be Avon Storms, Bridgestones have been disappointing and Dunlops? I don't think so! What's left?
A disaster was certainly averted, Roginoz, glad for that! Explanations are in order from Dunlop.Let us all know what they have to say please. Marty

Bike
2014 FJR 1300 ES
Geez Roger, that looks really scary!!!! To bad it didn't work out that we could have taken care of it too at TireSTOC.
Jim
(I'm the guy that removed the broken muffler clamp bolt for you--)

Dang, I put a set on my Connie and like 'em. That looks terrible, thought I found a tire for the ST when the Storms wear out, now I'm leary of buying another set.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
That's scary right there! I'm on my second set of PR2's and will order my third set next month.

Muchmore

Train killer
Bike
13 BMW K1600GTL
Out of curiosity how much stuff did you have on or what was the weight of the bike? not that the front tire carries very much but just wondering? And what was the air pressure at time of obliteration?

OP
OP
roginoz
Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
Out of curiosity how much stuff did you have on or what was the weight of the bike? not that the front tire carries very much but just wondering? And what was the air pressure at time of obliteration?
I was running 42 psi in the tire. Load on the front tire wasn't an issue. Other than me, the bike was only loaded with the usual top box stuff (bulky but pretty light.)

Bike
04 ST1300 ABS
Metzlers ... Z6/ME880 combo..11+ k out of them..On 2nd set with 8k now.20k miles ,0 problems..

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I had great luck on my OEM Bridgestones. Lots of miles and ok performance. My second set...PR2s and they have been great a well. I have a set of RoadSmarts to put on next. I sure don't like the self destruct images posted in this tread!
Before I went down in my big accident, May of 07, I had just put a brand new Road Smart on the front. It was working very well....at about 1500 miles. Don't have much choice with the next set. I've got the RoadSmarts and I guess I'll give 'em a try.

Thanks for posting your failure. I'll watch these tires carefully thoughout their life!

Forest

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I've tried almost every manufacturer of tire for the 1300 except Dunlop and after seeing this now... it ain't gonna happen! :noway

Bike
ST1300 '06
STOC #
I was considering the Roadsmarts but I have heard more negative reports than I like. Considering PR2s or the new Pirelli Angel ST for my next set. Running Storms right now and I really like their bite but the centers burn off too quickly.

:06biker:

jdpfms

JD Power
Bike
ST1300A&FJR1300
Checking my records, it looks like about 5K.
The good news is you are OK and that Dunlop should replace that tire. The bad news is you will have that new tire and not want to run it. :confused: I got terrible wear out of my one set of Roadsmarts so back to PR2s and will stay with them most likely.

JDP

Top Bottom