Article [13] ST1300 - Bearings Replacement parts

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
So my bike is getting on higher in mileage, and I think its time I replace the bearings (probably this winter) ... just over 90k on the original bearings and nothing seems wrong with them just think it'd be prudent. The point of the post is to find out from you guru's if I've got everything I need... screen shots from the RonAyers website:

If someone can confirm my shopping list that'd be great. I think what I need is:

FRONT:
2x#20 = BEARING = 91053-MCS-G01 (6205 UU)
2X#21 = DUST SEAL = 91252-MCS-G01 (34X52X10)

Rear:
1x#23 = O-RING = 91358-mg9-003 (50.5X3.5)
2x#18 = BEARING = 91052-KZ4-J21 (6905RS)
1X#20 = BEARING = 91053-MN5-003 (20X47X20.6)
1X#22 = O-RING = 91302-MA6-003 (61X2)
1X#19 = BEARING = 91052-MAE-004 (6204 UU)
1X#20 = DUST SEAL = 91251-MCS-G01 (30X47X13)

Also do you guys replace the rubber damper while in there? Part number 1 on the rear wheel diagram.

Thanks guys.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Simple solution, call CBR Bearings in LA, tell'em yur model 'n year and front/rear needs. They'll have'em in stock, complete with seals. 1-800-769-5388 and http://www.cbrbearing.com/

I suppose this should all be moved to wheels 'n tars thread and saved.

I changed a set of fronts a few weeks ago in the garage using an 8" 3/8 extension and a 24 oz ball-peen hammer. Changed a rear wheel set (both on 1100 wheels) a few weeks later at John Oo's house using his traveling tool kit. I suggest if yur gonna do both ends, call John and have him ship the tools in conjunction with calling CBR.

My opinion,

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
Simple solution, call CBR Bearings in LA, tell'em yur model 'n year and front/rear needs. They'll have'em in stock, complete with seals. 1-800-769-5388 and http://www.cbrbearing.com/

I changed a set of fronts a few weeks ago in the garage using an 8" 3/8 extension and a 24 oz ball-peen hammer. Changed a rear wheel set (both on 1100 wheels) a few weeks later at John Oo's house using his traveling tool kit. I suggest if yur gonna do both ends, call John and have him ship the tools in conjunction with calling CBR.

My opinion,
actually I was looking up the Honda parts themselves because my friend working at the Honda plant is going to order them for me if I can provide him all the part numbers, he'll get 'em to me for cost he said. He can't do large items easily but he said no one would look twice at a bag of bearings he's ordering.

Gonzo

3/4 Century of Trivia
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
I just changed out all my bearings in my spare wheel set under the direction of Byron, who also has all the tools. Took a couple hours. We had already mounted new tires and balanced.

My rubber dampers looked OK so left them in.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
actually I was looking up the Honda parts themselves because my friend working at the Honda plant is going to order them for me if I can provide him all the part numbers, he'll get 'em to me for cost he said. He can't do large items easily but he said no one would look twice at a bag of bearings he's ordering.
Ya might be surprised when comparing CBR's prices against even the discounted Honda price. Worth a look.

Has anyone tried CBR's new ceramic bearing set? Don't know if they're available for us yet, just noticed the new link when getting the phone number earlier.

Phartz

Pat Thompson
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Just yesterday I called CBR about rear wheel bearings for my '06. The guy was totally familiar with the setup and offered me two options. I took the kit below that contains a replacement, double-wide, bearing that takes the place of the two that fit side by side. It was five dollars more this way than a "standard" kit with the two seperate bearings. He said the big single, roller bearing had twice the load capacity of the two single ones together. Sounded good to me. :D

The fellow at CBR was quite friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful. I'm reasonably close to their location and asked about just dropping in to pick them up. They don't have a retail storefront but he said shipping, by UPS, to my location would be next day anyway. :) So okay, and sure enough they showed up today. So pictured below is the kit that arrived and I'm planning to do the install on Saturday.

:toot1: Kudos to CBR for prompt, friendly service.

:06biker: :06biker: :06biker:

Attachments

OP
OP

chiller

Chowdah Ridah
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Forgot
I got mine replaced in June, just before my trip heading west... I took it to the shop to get it done, and when he took out my old bearings he let me see them before tossing them, they were ok, there was no play in the bearings ... no bad for 120k on stock bearings...

got all the seals replaced and all wheel bearings front and rear replaced

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
As a side note...There are 3 o-rings , you may also want to change the 3 rd one on the shaft/hub side while its all open. (look deep in hub area)

Mountain Mike

I frequent the IBA Motel
Bike
ST1300
STOC #

My opinion,
Thanks George,
I called and the bearings just came in.
I ended up paying the following:
$33 front "Pro-Pack"
$39 rear "Pro-Pack"
$59 Headset (steering) kit -The guy on the phone stated the price of these just went up due to suppler costs.
and shipping was reasonable.

The kits come with good looking instructions, we will see how good after I follow them. Hopefully this and different tires will wipe out the front wheel sawtooth wear and shake that has been plaguing my bike.

Bike
st1100L st1100M
so how hard is it to replace the front bearings on my 1991 st1100 should i take it to the shop or with limited knowlage could i do it my self ????

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
You can drive them out with a drift. Do you have a manual? Most procedures are shown to make doing it at home less daunting.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
so how hard is it to replace the front bearings on my 1991 st1100 should i take it to the shop or with limited knowlage could i do it my self ????
David-
If you've not done a bearing replacement, it would be good to at least have another member who has done the bearing replacements help you. The most challenging part is the new bearing installation, without damaging the new bearing. After removal and cleanup from the old bearings, drive the new bearings (freeze them first) into the wheel by pressing/tapping their outer race (drift is recommended, otherwise you'll need to makeshift a tool to fit the outer race). You can carefully heat the wheel where the bearing will seat (careful ... don't warp or melt the wheel!) that, with the frozen bearing will make the pressing into place easier at home.

(As an aside, your profile shows you've an 1100; the info in post #1 is for a 1300--don't order that list of parts)

Last edited:
Bike
st1100L st1100M
Yes i do have a 1100m so dont know why i posted on that tread Thanks for the reply Dave

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I just got back from a 5 day trip to Montana and pulled the rear wheel to change the tire before leaving on another trip in four days. All I found on the flange side was a loose mass of ball bearings and the inner and outer races. Both of the flange side bearings were totally destroyed and the brake disk side bearings were all that was supporting the wheel. Given my short turnaround time I didn't have time to order on-line or wait for the dealer to order bearings and o-rings in from Toronto. Instead I sourced the necessary parts from a local bearing supply shop, NTN bearing number 3905 LLU and size matched nitrile o-rings (at <$0.40 each). The wheel goes back on tomorrow, complete with a new Michelin PR3, and we're off back to Montana the next day.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
All I found on the flange side was a loose mass of ball bearings and the inner and outer races. Both of the flange side bearings were totally destroyed
Good thing you found it... The flange bearings are stock sizes that most bearing supplies/auto parts will carry ( easy to find ). Usu tho you do get a warning of a 'notchy' feel which is why its recommended to chk them every time the rear wheel is off.

I got a ten pack a few yrs back of cheap flange bearings and have use 6 so far... a set on my bike and 2 sets on others that needed ( the beer cost more ! :) )

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
When I call regarding 'rear wheel bearings' for my ST1300, is the flange bearing normally included? Or do aftermarket companies (such as CBR) not include/consider them to be rear wheel bearings?

Also, for those who haven't changed bearings before, its an easy job. You removed the bearings by borrowing a slide pull hammer from your local auto parts store. Installation is easy if you freeze the bearings, then use a bearing driver (Harbor Freight has a very nice kit for around $25-$35) that makes it almost impossible to mess up your bearing while hitting it with your hammer.

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I checked the flange bearings at the last tire change, about 9300 mi ago and everything was smooth as silk. What surprises me is how little the ride of the bike was affected by losing such a major amount of support for the rear axle. I attributed the twitchiness in the rear to the badly worn tire that we were babying home from Montana. Two thumbs up from me for Ma Honda's over-engineering of the rear axle support. I guess there are good reasons for some of that "extra" weight.

Anyway, it was nice to find that you don't have to go to the local Honda dealer to get overpriced parts like o-rings. I hadn't really thought to check that source of supply before I got in a bind this week.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I checked the rear wheel bearings when I replaced the tire a couple months ago. All appeared to be okay. Now, 5000 miles later, the left side bearing totally failed on the way to the RTE yesterday in Mesa, AZ. I had my "spares" with so was able to replace the bearings in Petar's drive way. Not all that easy but got'er done. She's good for another 38,012 miles. :D

Should add, CBR Bearings in a labeled package. Been carrying them for over a year, Just In Case. :D

Top Bottom