Problem with Nelson Rigg Half Cover - But they made it right!

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I bought a UV-2000 cover for my 1100. After 2 weeks use the silver on the outside of the cover was wearing off onto my paint at contact points around the elastic. It takes considerable rubbing to get the slow silver off of my fast red bike but it did come off. I contacted Nelson Rigg through their web page and explained what was happening and suggested they fold outward for the fabric around the elastic so the soft black material on the inside is all that touches the bike. They replied that they had never heard of that happening before. I then emailed pics of the silver on the bike. They had me return the cover to them. The last thing I got from them was an email saying they could not reproduce what was happening but in good faith they were sending me a new cover sewn the way I suggested. So they not only replaced the cover but they custom made the replacement as I had asked them too. :bannana

Great customer service. I will do business with them again.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
Nelson Riggs has always treated me right. I had a tankbag fly off a previous bike while I was flying down the freeway. Those magnetic wings work impressively as wings. The bag landed, slid and rolled to the shoulder. Nelson Riggs replaced it, no problem.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have used my new cover once, and noticed the same phenomenon. It is a bit hard to get off the faster colour, but not too bad. I am assuming the silver will eventually "wear in" with time........... but I may send a note to them.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Hmmmm, that's odd. I have one of those covers & use it on two bikes when traveling for two years now & haven't seen that. Guess I just got one of the good ones.... :D

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I have used my new cover once, and noticed the same phenomenon. It is a bit hard to get off the faster colour, but not too bad. I am assuming the silver will eventually "wear in" with time........... but I may send a note to them.

Since mine was the first they had heard of it, it may be a good idea for you to let them know. The only "bad" part of the whole deal was they didn't offer to cover return postage when they gave me the RA number. So it cost me about $8 to send it back to them, kinda put a dent in the money I saved buying it on sale.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I think it is because it is "new". After while, I think it will lose that......... we'll see.

I'm not too sure, because my old cover (bought it 4 or 5 years ago) was made from a different matterial then my new cover that I bought two weeks ago. That Silver seeems to rub pretty good into the finish. I had to use clear coat rubbing compound to get them out. :(

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I'm not too sure, because my old cover (bought it 4 or 5 years ago) was made from a different matterial then my new cover that I bought two weeks ago. That Silver seeems to rub pretty good into the finish. I had to use clear coat rubbing compound to get them out. :(
You're probably right. I remember my old cover (went with the bike when I sold it) didn't seem like the same material...... and the pictures posted look like what I had only not as bad. If the wind blows, it rubs more.......

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
You're probably right. I remember my old cover (went with the bike when I sold it) didn't seem like the same material...... and the pictures posted look like what I had only not as bad. If the wind blows, it rubs more.......
I got a message back from them last night and they said they haven't changed the matterial in ten years! mmm...interesting!

Anyway, I'll see what they say tonight and see if they are going to let me send it back and fix it, or I'll just have to have my wife fix it. :eek::

OP
OP
schlep1967

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I got a message back from them last night and they said they haven't changed the matterial in ten years! mmm...interesting!

Anyway, I'll see what they say tonight and see if they are going to let me send it back and fix it, or I'll just have to have my wife fix it. :eek::
So did you hear anything on this? I'm curious to see if they do the same thing for you that they did for me.

Top Bottom