A Cautionary Cable

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
On the morning of Oct 9, I encountered a light rain on the way up to the Jackpine Savage rendevous and the visibility through the dark smoke shield I was using from the day before was not good, so I decided to pull off and change it. Took the New Madrid exit on I-55. Hmm - looks like the town is a few miles off, I'll just pull into this abandoned gas station, get under one of the roofs and change the shield. There's a beat up orange construction barrel in the middle of the drive but plenty of room on either side. The pavement is a little torn up with puddles here and there, so I slow to about 5 mph, pass on the left of the barrel and WHAM. The bike comes to an abrupt halt, but I manage to keep it upright. What the heck ?! There's a half inch steel cable about off the foot of the pavement. Did I mention I couldn't see well - should have raised the shield. The front wheel rolled over the cable then it bounced up and cut into the middle cowl on both sides. With some difficulty I yank the cable loose and notice that the inner lower cowl is loose. I pull it out and toss it aside. Get back on the bike and it won't start. Cranks good - no start. Turn the ignition on and off; no start. Looking under the front of the bike I notice a cable pulled loose from a sensor (what is this sensor?). Pins are bent back - radiator is O.K. I bend the pins, attach the connector and the bike starts.

Looks like a little plastic needs replacement.

John-

P.S. The cable now lies flat, as a service to other riders.

Bike
None
STOC #
Unbelievable!:hat2:

What an exciting adventure!!!:eek:4: I sure am glad you came to no personal harm. While it ticks us off when our rides get damaged, it sure is better than the alternative.

Also, thank you for the post as it refreshes my mind to keep an eye out and take extra care when it comes to the odd stuff we "Run Into" from time to time!!! I hope the plastics don't set you back too far...

Tom

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Looking under the front of the bike I notice a cable pulled loose from a sensor (what is this sensor?).
If it's the one just above the clutch housing, it's the crank position sensor. Bike won't run without it.

--Mark

Dinkie Diesel

------------Jeff------------
Bike
2013 GL1800
Holy Cow! I didn't get to hear that story at the event. Did your mind race thinking about how much worse it could have been? I happy you were able to continue your trip to join us. There should have been flags attached to the cable to prevent from happening.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I've just missed running into a cable a time or two. Most times they'll hang something on it so you can see it, but every once in a while they don't.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Cables are nasty...
A rider was decapitated some years ago in Southern AZ by a cable that was being strung and had dropped down (at least that is what I remember about it).

Be careful out there!
Mark

Top Bottom