Article [11] ST1100 - How to fix mirror if necessary

Bike
I do not have a bike
STOC #
How to fix mirror

Two days ago, my dear Flying Pig fainted again and leaned against the garage wall. In the process my right mirror cover popped off but mirror handle snapped. Cover is glued many times and I assume there is enough glue to keep it together even in a hit like this. Good, I need all the help I can get. Mirror head was in one piece, actual mirror glass is in one piece but completely separated from the bike. I had same problem with the left mirror over a year ago; I tried few times to put it together with different epoxies and no luck. This time I decided not to try that route. I hate to ride with out mirrors so I decide to try different way and I can report it worked. I may get replacement some day but this worked very well. I used bracket (flat piece used to connect lights to electric box), it is flat and has two long slots for screws to match different box sizes. First I bent the end to fit recessed area on the mirror side. I drilled the hole and put machine bolt with flat washer on the head side and lock washer on the nut side. After that I bent the bracket 90 degrees (with pliers) and estimated the length I will need. I cut excess off and with pliers bent the bracket to closely match the curvature of the spring loaded mirror mount. Finally I used channel lock pliers to force bracket to the mirror mount to form the curvature as close as possible. After that I drilled two holes to facilitate two self taping screws. Since I had to rotate mirror head 90 degrees to free access to the area for bolting the bracket to the broken side, I rotated it back to proper position, re attached small piece that hides the internals (I do not know the name for that), snapped the cover on, And I was back in business. It took about and hour to do all. Mirror is solid and looks good, if you ignore glued cover. This way I am not riding without the mirror nor have bike parked until search, order or shipping is being conducted. I hope this helps someone like me, who likes to thinker and fix things instead of order and replace.

Have fun and go ride.

PS - it is hard to get close up picture in focus with no manual focus override.

:rd11::pf1:

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Re: How to fix mirror if necessary

Had an experience where my right mirror did break. The dealer cost was scarry and so was the local glass supplier. So, with a regular mirror in hand and a stainded glass grinder a new one was fashioned.

Interesting thing was the new piece did not alter the distance aspect. So the factory glass (Left) shows things as being farther away and the right mirror shows reality. This gives you the ability to pick out the actual make of vechicle behind you, something I can't do in with the factory glass. Easy to pick out the LEO's way behind you......Not that I need to, just curious you see.

OP
OP
FlyingPig
Bike
I do not have a bike
STOC #
Re: How to fix mirror if necessary

I did that when I had to replace mirror on the left side. I found mirror but no glass. I installed flat mirror glass, but in my case I did not like limited visibility. That was before I had wide angle mirrors that I have now, mounted on the top of my regular mirrors. They give additional coverage, plus they act as a wind deflectors. I ordered MultiVex mirror and installed it on top of the flat glass. In this case I had to solve the problem of re-attaching the head to the body. Honda mirror mounts are made of cast aluminum and that is not easy to weld or glue. That is why I chose to create additional bracket. I am glad you added your solution too. We all can use other riders experience; it is combined knowledge that makes it fun and helpful to be part of the forum.

:rd11:

BROCCOLI

GOD I HATE WHEN THAT HAPPENS !
Bike
03 ST 1100-P
STOC #
Oh yeah, my first of 3 tip overs on my 2500 return trip after buying it in california & driving it back to Minnesota, :wht11:
This was the only tip over of 3 to cause damage.It cracked a chunk out of my rt side housing & spider webbed the mirror (the miracle adhesive "j.b. Weld" did the trick, ) plus a flat mirror from a auto parts store and lots more jb weld and the flat surface really does give you a much better image resolution-t.c.

Bike
2001 ST1100
My St fell over this morning in the driveway. Can't quite figure out how as I was locking the door to the house. I think it rolled forward off the side stand, but not sure why it fell to the other side (right).

Anyway the mirror is shot. I got the cover glued back together.

Now I need new mirror. I was going to try the local glass place, but how to you get the mirror in to the black frame. The bolt to take the frame off is behind the mirror. Do you just pus it in until it clicks??

any ideas would be great. I have a 12 day trip planned in 1 week and would like a right mirror.

Bike
ST 1100
I did my right side mirror and housing in a parking lot tip over about a month ago. I bit the bullet, called the dealer and it looks new again! It was $118 for the entire mirror assembly and $140 for the colored housing. I did a stick-on convex mirror during my trip to West Va. and back and it worked well for a fix-on-the-road job. Its such a nice machine I just wanted to keep it up to date and in top shape. Dealer had the parts in 2 days.

I too have been victim of a tip over. this spring we had a really wild wind storm and it actually blew my beloved off her centre stand onto her right side. long story short, $650.00 later all the damaged parts were replaced. Except the glass mirror, I bought a stick on convex mirror from CTC (where Canada shops..lol) and I liked the view so much I kept it!

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
Bar end mirrors can be attached . Honda developed a very bad habit of making so much in plastic with no way to see how it`s all fitted .

Bike
ST 1100 year 2002.
My mirrors on the right side have lost all the stubby bits that should click together so I use gaffer tape along the join to keep it in place. In the event of another breakage I imagined some bungy elastic tied inside the assembly and threaded through a new hole (with a grommet ?) to tie onto the middle frame near the headlamp. It could simply be a loose attachment or tighter to make the mirror spring back into position . Like a doll with moveable arms on elastic bands .

Top Bottom