ST1100-Delkevic exhaust problem

I've had the Delkevic silencers on my ST1100AX for about 2 months now and they have just about ruined their second set of seals where they connect to the collector.
The brackets on the foot peg hanger do not hold the silencers properly which means the silencers move around when riding eventually wrecking the seals.
It was a real pain to get the silencers lined up which I have now done and the whole assembly fitted perfectly when first installed but now the seals are blowing again.
Has anybody else experienced this problem?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Delkevic exhaust problem

What do you mean by 'seals'? The exhaust gaskets?

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin

I have had my Delkevics now for a year on my ST1100 and have not had this issue. One thing that is critical however is that the sleeve gasket is seated fully into the collector before you insert the mid pipe. The old gasket material can be stuck inside the collector and not allow the new gasket to fit down far enough. It is hard to get the old material out and you will need to scrape it out. There are slots cut in the collector to alow the clamps to compress around the gasket and these will not be fully covered by the gasket if the gasket does not seat down far enough and exhaust will then leak out the bottom of the slots. Make sure that this is not happening. I also use a little never-sieze compound on the mid pipe to make it easier to install.

dan

OP
OP

For those who aren't sure, I am referring to the exhaust seals where the silencers slide into the collector.

IMG_09412.jpg

I made sure that the collector was completely slear and slid the seals all of the way in. I then slid the connector pipes off the silencers into the seals and lined the silencers up on the hangers. Initially I had the hangers on the inside of the foot peg plates but the silencers were sticking out too much. I have now reversed the hangers and mounted them on the outside of the foot peg plates and the silencers were lined up nicely,

IMG_09432.jpg

that is until the left hand side started moving around and wearing the seal out.

IMG_09422.jpg

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
The one difference I see is that you have the muffler support clamps bolted to the outside of the mount. I have mine on the inside and this tucks the mufflers in tighter to the bike. Maybe this has the midpipes out of alighnment in the collector and gasket and this is causing the leaks.

Dan

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I recall someone mixing up the two pipes, left to right, that go between the mufflers and the collector. Caused some difficulties of some kind, can't remember the details.

Those pipes should be the same height both sides. Left one is way down, and it has the exhaust bracket on the outide - standard is on the inside. May be an angle problem. Are the pipes all the way in the collector, and are the clamps done up really well. My early staintunes have no gasket and no sealing problems. They are one piece however and don't use a connector pipe, so I would look into that as Jeff suggests, as that along with the clamp position may explain the uneven height..

OP
OP
Hi guys thanks for the feedback.
I phoned DK on Wednesday to say that I had a problem and they told me to call Dave at Delkevic.
I explaine the difficulty I was having and he said it sounds like I have the wrong connector pipes.
New connector pipes arrived on Friday and that now fit perfect.
Went down to DK on Saturday to get some new seals as mine were now the wrong shape. the guy in spares made a phone call and another guy turned up with a pair of seals and no charge.
Definetly a good organisation to do business with. Thanks DK and Delkevic.

Guys - bought an ST1100AY a couple of weeks ago & it's got a pair of 350mm oval Delkevic silencers fitted to the original Honda downpipes/collector.
I quite like the look and sound of the Delkevics, but the left hand one does seem to stick out more than I'd like and is out of position compared with the right hand one.
So, when these are fitted correctly, so they sit parallel to the side of the bike, tucked in nicely like the originals ?

Top Bottom