Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
Re: ST1300-HISS Key Programming

I hope I never have to use it, but thanks! :yes:

Hi,

I've created three how to's after reprogramming the keys into my ST1300.

Note this is only for bikes with HISS.
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your comprehensive information to enable replacement ignition keys to be recognised by the ECU. I have ordered replacement Honda blanks and will need to get them cut on arrival.
I have been to my local Honda dealer today who wants to charge me ?92.00 to supply and programme one key. This has induced me to utilise your information to undertake the works myself. He did warn me however that if I got it wrong I could trash the ECU which would cost in excess of ?1000.00 to replace, so I want to be sure about every detail before undertaking the job.
I have read other forum contributions on the subject and their detail for the made up harness included a 100 ohm resistor in series in the positive cable being connected between the ignition Pulse Generator and battery.
Bearing in mind the scary cost of error can you confirm that the connection harness does not require incorporation of the resistor.
One other thing the dealer advised was that if the new key was inserted into the ignition and turned on before the programming mode had been entered, then permanent damage would again occur to the ECU requiring replacement. Are you aware if this is the case or is it just scaremongering?

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I just tried my newly cut key in the ignition....turned it on, (bike wouldn't start obviously), but no damage to the ECU. I'm curious about an answer to your last question as well, (resistor or no resistor?).

Bike
2003 ST1300
I got caught out after braking a key in the fuel cap. Thankfully not too far from home. Only a short walk. I bought a blank through the local Honda dealer, got it cut by a lock smith and did the "Transfer" as detailed above, Real easy and it works. I now carry a spare non genuine key (cost was bugger all from the lock smith). I can now use the non genuine key to start the bike if need be by having the Original key near the ignition when using the spare to start the bike. Once started the ECU dosen't check again and the original isn't required. I use the "spare" for accessing the panniers etc and only use the Original/Genuine in the ignition. Hope this helps some one else from the long walk home.

Cheers

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Hi Folks,
In need of a little bit of help here. It was my intention to make up a wiring harness to enable me to code keys for my ST1300. However, the guys at my local club persuaded me not to do this and to purchase the proper harness from Honda. As the cost of the harness was going to be less than the cost of having the dealer do the work, I ordered the correct harness from David Silver.

The harness arrived after a 5 week delay and for some reason I decided to test it prior to use. I think it was due to the fact that ?60 seemed a little OTT for a few bits of wire and some connectors. The test showed a discontinuity in the earth lead and I returned it.

A second harness was received but again there was the same discontinuity in the earth lead and on occasion, when the connector was wiggled, a connection between the negative and positive terminals was made.

The ohmeter show no resistance in the positive lead.

Before I send this one back I was just wondering if I was missing something here?

Bike
ST1300 Pan
Did what you suggested and made my own harness with the 100 ohm resistor incorporated into the positive lead. The home made harness worked a treat. I am now absolutely convinced that the problem lies with the Honda harness.

Thanks very much for your advice.

owlmike

cogito sumere potum alterum
Bike
ST1300
Hi, I am aware this is an old thread. Do the keys loss this function if not used for a while?? i have not been getting much use of my bike recently.

The HISS key includes a transponder with an induction loop. The loop generates sufficient voltage to power the RF chip in the key, which can then talk to the HISS unit and exchange code numbers.

The HISS code is stored in PROM memory inside the key transponder. This is good for at least 20 years.
If you remove the Honda emblem, you will see the transponder bonded into the key body.

An old trick if you break your only HISS key is to carefully remove the transponder with a scalpel, and replace the transponder in the new HISS key to avoid reprogramming.

Bike
04 ST1300
Had the same problem, my only key got broken. I hope i would be able to buy the blank programmable key from a US store. My unique issue is that i have a UK Pan European and can only buy parts from US stores. My understanding is that US spec bikes don't come with the HISS.

Attachments

Bike
04 ST1300
Trosty(Judge Dread),and choppers suggestion to avoid programming is a nice hassle free suggestion, only caveat is that you can only make 1 key.

Bike
ST1300 V4 2005
Super guide just programmed key was very simple to do. A bigger issue was had getting key cut, local locksmith wanted ?20 to cut key, local woodies apologised for charging me full price @ ?3.79 ;)

Bike
2007 ST-1300A-6
Made my own harness and it worked perfectly for me. I'll sleep better tonight knowing I have a spare key for the bike again.

Thanks,
Colm.

Bike
2002 ST 1300
Hello,
I used this decree to program the new key for my Honda ST 1300, but I used a 10Amp fuse and a 100ohm resistor inserted in the red wire (positive connection). It worked everything correctly, even very simple.
Thank you.
Greetings from Portugal

Bike
Honda ST1300 A8
Hi Jon
Thanks for your article on how to program the HISS key. You saved me a lot of hassles. Was a bit scared to try it, in case I stuffed something else up, but all went well, albeit I had to do it twice to get the HISS light blinking as required.
Thanks again, you're a legend.
Cheers
Ben
Perth, Western Australia

Hey, just wanted to say thanks. Made my own harness, with the 1w 100 ohms resister wired in. Worked 1st time, no problem.

If anyone around the Guildford (England) area wants to code a key in, feel free to come over and I'll do it for you. You just provide the bike and the key, I'll supply the harness, second hand know how and the tea.

Top Bottom