ST1300 key knob farkle for bag locks

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Will it allow you to unlock the seat for removal?
Yep.

One note: It appears that the key does not go into the glovebox quite as deeply as into the panniers. That is why I specified that the key must extend 1.00 inches beyond the knob periphery. If you make the glovebox key extend a little less so that the knob fits more closely when in the key hole, it may not go in the gas cap deep enough to work.

A 1.00 inch (25.4mm for the rest of the world) key exposure will produce a knob farkle that will work in the glovebox, gas cap, panniers and bag/seat locks. It will stick up a little more in the glovebox than elsewhere, but that is necessary if the glovebox key is to be used in the gas cap.

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I like the idea of this farkle a lot. I have the knobs, bought the extra keys (they all work) and am now ready to cut the keys down. What tool or tools are needed for this job? If it is a Dremel, what model and acceeories are required for this, and if it is something else, what is it? I'm not afraid of buying a new tool, as I am already a tool junkie for woodworking. I'm just not a metalworker, so I don't know what to use.

Thanks,

OP
OP
STBernard

STBernard

BlewBayou
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
A Dremel with a cut off disk is ideal, but even a hacksaw will work. Other Dremel grinders can clean up after the cut. I cut mine at an angle so they look straight when locked on a pannier

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I used a hacksaw to shorten the keys and then a bench grinder to narrow the section that inserted into the knob.

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Thanks for the idea Kayaddic, I just completed my set. For the side bags, I clamped a belt sander in the vice and the knob to a drill bit with the set screw, and ran both of them till the lip was gone.

IMG00497-20110329-0729.jpg IMG00493-20110328-1936.jpg IMG00498-20110329-0730.jpg IMG00490-20110328-1902.jpg IMG00474-20110324-1627-1.jpg IMG00529-20110403-1403.jpg

So I cut down 2 spare keys, bought some knobs at radio shack and some expoxy and spend some time putting everything together. The knobs were $1 each and had a brass insert. The drill press was used to snag and remove the inserts. I cut the keys at about a 20 degree angle because of the tilt of the lock. This way the knobs look level and when you turn them a quarter turn, they do not bind anywhere. Somewhere I saw instructions, but I could not find them so I winged it. The epoxy set up quick enough but JB Weld would have been better. The knobs have a white indicator mark that I mounted pointing inboard. The look funny out of the bike with the key tilted 20 degrees, but when in the locks, they look perfect, almost factory.

If you buy these 1.5 inch knobs at Radio Shack, you may need to make the key narrower slightly on the wide side. This allows the 20 degree tilt offset.
All the parts, including the keys cost $15. Worth twice the price not to have to constantly pull the ignition key to stash or retrieve something.

I used a Dremel tool and abrasive cutting disk to cut the keys, a bench grinder for the clean up of the key, and the drill press to remove the insert. Less than an hour of labor. Great addition to a wonderful bike.
:04biker:

Attachments

Bike
2005 ST 1300
I got my keys from the local True Value store. The owner said that the Honda ST key is actually an old Nissan Key. I wish I would have remembered the number. They were only $1.80 each, all 4 worked in all locks both directions!

I've tried a few locksmiths locally and unless i want to order/pay for 'honda' keys i'm outa luck , i even showed Mr Minute key cutter guy the photo's of the flat silver keys cut and modified and he went on with a 5 minuts tyrad of how the states has different keys to us here in Oz. I did mention to this 'knob' that the bikes all came from Japan and so the keys shouldn't be any different especially being from the same type of bike :ie ST1300 . So my search continues..............

Bike
2005 ST 1300
A side note, if you are going to do this keep in mind that the ignition key will need to be longer so you can push down and lock the steering, and by carving off the sides to the side bag keys you will always get the right keys in the right places. I need to paint the ignition knob with a different color. I wonder what nail polish my wife has...hmmm

safedoctor

Flip
Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I got my keys from the local True Value store. The owner said that the Honda ST key is actually an old Nissan Key. I wish I would have remembered the number. They were only $1.80 each, all 4 worked in all locks both directions!
The keys are NOT a old Nissan Key close but no cigar. You are better using the right key blank because the wrong one could cause wear in the lock. Our prices on keys are the same for any foreign doulble sided key so you are not saving any money usually.

Bike
2014 Kawasaki C14
STOC #
A word of advise, when you're riding and want to tweak the com system under your seat. You pull over, jump off, use the pannier key to lift the seat. Make your adjustment and snap the seat back into place. Here is where it gets tricky, one must remember to close the seat latch and return the key the pannier lock. Failure to do so will cause separation anxiety with left pannier and provide ample ribbing material from your ridding buddies who had to dodge the dancing pannier at elevated speeds...

Yup, did it twice.

STOC #
??
Good news with the blank keys . I found 4 DA23's on your ebay so in a few weeks I'll have my fully imported blanks to take to my local keycutter guy and he can cut 'em up for me. I'm thinking even getting them from the states its cheaper then here in Oz. plus the running around and arguing with ol' mate locksmith saying he hasn't got a match for my key is worth the wait........ now to find some knobs

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Here is the key knob that I installed on my ST. The knob's I used are OEM Honda Goldwing radio knobs part number 39113-MCA-671 I got three new metal keys cut and used them for the knobs cutting off the heads and using JB-weld to secure the key to the knob. I was going to use the epoxy but the stuff I have in the picture was already hard. I think these are the best looking knobs I have seen as they look like they belong on the bike.

Here are some pictures

Attachments

Bike
GL1800/ST1300A
STOC #
I just added this farkle today and love it! It sure makes getting my seat off (Russell Day Long) a lot easier than with the long ignition key.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Safedoctor, I realize this is an old thread, but do you have blanks for a 2005 ST1300?
iirc my local ace hardware had them.
Ilco x265 hd109 or curtis hd109 blank numbers among others.

SafeDr was last on the board in Sept.

Interwebs suggest these are the same blank

• Curtis HD-109, HD109
  • Ilco X265
  • Ilco EZ HD109
  • Jet HD114
  • JMA HOND-33, HON33
  • Orion HO64FP
  • Silca HON63FP
  • Taylor X265
    Honda 7M

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
If Ace does not have them a local 'real' locksmith will. A real locksmith is not the 16yr old at Home Depot or Lowes.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
For awhile it seemed tough to locate the proper blank but now it seems just about everybody has them. FWIW I had my first two duplicates on genuine Honda blanks and a "locksmith" screwed one up. .500

My second attempt was at a local Ace Hardware on a whim while getting some other bits. I told him to cut from the tip not the shoulder. 1.0

Top Bottom