Passport 9500ix inner dash mount or new digital speedometer

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I've been unhappy with my mount for the Passport 9500ix either on the dash shelf or in the dry box extension shelf. Both mounting positions left the detector in a very conspicuous location - easy view for both LEO's and thieves - and it was always susceptible to bug strikes on the center shelf.

So, while I was making more windshield mods, I pulled off the front upper cowl cover and got to measuring to see if my RD could be mounted within the space above the instrument cluster - YES, there was room. It could fit, be reasonably well hidden and still show a read out of my current speed. I rarely use the stock speedometer any more - I rely on the RD or my GPS for true speed readings.

In order to do this, the section of the inner dash above the instrument cluster must be cut and YES, this is a painful decision that should not be entered into lightly. You might want to cry and ask yourself, "just what the H*ll am I doing to this bike?" Measure carefully several times and cut with precision. It might turn out ok if you take your time and use a fresh, sharp blade.

In order to cut out the correct shape, I started with a cardboard template that I cut out to fit the detector at the correct angles that the dash would have. This template was then centered and transferred to the plastic via a sharp scribe.

Next, the most painful part, is that first cut through the dash. I used a hole saw to open it enough for the angle tin snips to rough in the cut. I used the large washer to scribe the radius in the corners.

Tin snips easily cut the plastic and the angle snips are the easiest to access this location. I did the finish cut with a new, sharp, medium size Xacto knife.

Carefully insert the RD into the hole and attempt to get it to a level mounting position. Continue to cut small portions with the Xacto to get the fit just right. Remember to hold the knife horizontal just like the RD will lay against the edge for the best cut & fit.

The left side will need a notch cut out for the audio plug connection. Again, measure carefully and take your time and it will come out good. I used a small velcro strap to secure the RD via the top lip of the dash. There is a 0.25" or taller lip on the bottom of the RD to keep the strap securely in place. The RD, when horizontal, will just clear the top of the instrument cluster and have a clear view toward the front.

Obviously, it will not pick up laser signals through the black plastic but a clear window could be installed on the outside cover if desired. My stock speedo view is now partially blocked but my turn signal indicators are still visible, not that I ever use them with my audible turn signal reminder. No more bug guts on the RD lens, no more obvious RD sitting in the open, the RD GPS still gets a good, if not better, signal, a couple of raindrops will no longer cause me to panic about wet electronics although this mount is certainly not waterproof, yet.

I've ridden the bike 2 days now with the new RD mount. It has lost some of the sensitivity being hidden behind the black plastic. I've tested this in a Lowe's parking lot today (their door openers are K band radar) and I lose about one bar due to the windshield (1/8" lexan custom shield) and one bar due to the black plastic cowl cover. I picked up a state trooper's Ka band instant on signals about 1.5 miles away on a straight away with numerous hills so the real world application is still very, very good as Ka band is normally very short range radar from my experiences. I might consider an outer "window" later on but for now, I'm happy with the way it is working. I could fashion a bit of a lock to keep the RD mounted and secure but for right now, a black cover or my jacket will keep it out of mind of thieves.

Yes, it was a painful decision to cut the dash but the RD is out of the direct weather, sun, bugs and heat. It is still easy to read, access the controls and remain somewhat stealthy. Installation & removal is still quick and easy. Works for me.

:slv13:

Attachments

I guess my first thought is that when you get pulled over, they are going to see it anyway. You have more guts than I do. Left mine on a Shelf.

OP
OP
treemuncher

treemuncher

Vegetation Terrorist
Bike
'07 ST1300A
STOC #
I guess my first thought is that when you get pulled over, they are going to see it anyway. You have more guts than I do. Left mine on a Shelf.
Carefully placed gloves, helmet or jacket will minimize this. I might also sew a black polarfleece cover for it.

The whole objective of the RD is to avoid these stops anyway. If it is seen, it is not illegal in my state.

FJRHank

"Scooter Pimp"
Another possibility for this...

In the left hand fairing (up in front of the pocket), to access it you have to remove the inner fairing (the black part) there's enough room to mount a radar detector turned on it's side.

I didn't actually do it but looked carefully, and pretty sure it could be done.

There would be no lidar and you'd have to run some wires out peramently and the on / off would have to be outside permanently (maybe some connections in the left front pocket?

Regards,

Top Bottom