Front wheel bind

Bike
GL1800
I just removed my front wheel tio mount a new tire. Upon mounting the wheel it got pretty hard to rotate after only a bit of tightening the bolt on the axle??? Owners manual says 58 lbs of torque, but that will really slow it down. When I removed the axle bolt it was not very tight at all. What's the deal. I can't imagine it shold be binding from the torque of the axle nut, but it does. Also it says to make the end of the axle flush withthe fork, but that ain;t ahppening either. Sticks out about 1.5 mm or so.

I'd apprecaite your advice,

Steve

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
By any chance did you put the spacers in the opposite sides?

There are different sized spacers on the front wheel between the fork and wheel, the one on the right FRONT VIEW (clutch side) is thin and the one on the left is thick... if those look 'off' like they are on the wrong side, that might be an issue.

also read this;
https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76553

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
OP
OP
Bike
GL1800
:plus1: What he said.
Nope......not the problem. I have a pretty good eye the obvious when I take it apart, and am careful to put it back together the same way. I have done this a time or two.....just not on this bike specifically.

I'll take it all apart again and see if anything changes for the better. Seems pretty basic..... two spacers, an axle and a nut??? I'm pretty sure I got it togetrher correctly, but something is fishy, cause of the tightness (or lack thereof) when I took it apart. Must have happened before. Bearing felt good when it was out. I am curious if this has happened to anyone, and if it is the nature of this beast?!

Tom...... did take the link in your post. Will try that in the a.m. Thanks for that

Killtimer

Youth Challenged Member
Somewhere in the Majestic Rocky Mountains of Alber
STOC #
Nope......not the problem. I have a pretty good eye the obvious when I take it apart, and am careful to put it back together the same way. I have done this a time or two.....just not on this bike specifically.

I'll take it all apart again and see if anything changes for the better. Seems pretty basic..... two spacers, an axle and a nut???
Remember that the spacers are directional as well as specific.... If that makes sense. It's possible to have a spacer on the correct side but inserted backwards, on the right side of the bike specifically IIRC.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Remember that the spacers are directional as well as specific.... If that makes sense. It's possible to have a spacer on the correct side but inserted backwards, on the right side of the bike specifically IIRC.
That's what I'm thinking.. but, some here have had wheels installed with the spacers switched and it cause some issues but not the binding you're talking about...

Any chance when you pushed the axle through the forks, the left/clutch side was not flush with the fork... the head of the axle should be flush with the outside of the fork... if it's out too far, it could be you're pulling the fork inward as you are tightening the axle bolt. That also assumes you tightened the left fork pinch bolts first which is out of sequence.

Check the dealer setup instructions here, page 7 for the proper sequence:
http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/viewfile/ST13/SetupInstructions?rev=1;filename=2008-setup.pdf

OP
OP
Bike
GL1800
That's what I'm thinking.. but, some here have had wheels installed with the spacers switched and it cause some issues but not the binding you're talking about...

Any chance when you pushed the axle through the forks, the left/clutch side was not flush with the fork... the head of the axle should be flush with the outside of the fork... if it's out too far, it could be you're pulling the fork inward as you are tightening the axle bolt. That also assumes you tightened the left fork pinch bolts first which is out of sequence.

Check the dealer setup instructions here, page 7 for the proper sequence:
http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/viewfile/ST13/SetupInstructions?rev=1;filename=2008-setup.pdf
Well it is out a bit.....about 1-1.5mm as I stated in my original post. I'm taking it all apart again in the a.m. and give it another go. I guess what is puzzling me a bit now is that when I took off the axle nut it was not very tight....making me think that this happened last time it was off?? I'll check those links you posted.....thanks. I'm sure I'll figure it out....I was just wondering if it happened to anyone else and if it may be a common issue.

Cheers

OP
OP
Bike
GL1800
I'm thinking now after reviewing the setup instructions that the axle is not seating in the proper place. I cannot get it to come flush with the fork. That will be my first objective......I imagine after that is cured all will be fine.
I'm pretty sure I got the spacers in correctly. Guess I was jumping to conclusions a bit before getting that axle in the right spot. :eek::

Bike
98 ST1100

There are different sized spacers on the front wheel between the fork and wheel, the one on the right (clutch side) is thin and the one on the left is thick... if those look 'off' like they are on the wrong side, that might be an issue.

also read this;
Tom, you said the one on the right (clutch side)...my clutch is on the left of the bike ;) so I assume you mean on the right as you look at the wheel from the front, want to verify.

Mine is doing something similar. After I drive about a mile or two, things loosen up but the front rotors are pretty warm. I'm going to go out and check on this.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Tom, you said the one on the right (clutch side)...my clutch is on the left of the bike ;) so I assume you mean on the right as you look at the wheel from the front, want to verify.

Mine is doing something similar. After I drive about a mile or two, things loosen up but the front rotors are pretty warm. I'm going to go out and check on this.
Looking at the wheel from the front of the bike this is what the spacer on the left side looks like - this is the brake side. The clutch side is much thinner of a spacer.

2807.jpg

Bike
98 ST1100
Hang on a second. I've got a 98 non-ABS and I went out to look. I have no spacer at all on the clutch side of the front axle. The speedometer gearing box goes from the bearing seal up to the fork tube. I called the dealership thinking I had somehow lost it when I was changing the front tire and the parts guy is saying there is no spacer shown at all on the clutch side.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hang on a second. I've got a 98 non-ABS and I went out to look. I have no spacer at all on the clutch side of the front axle. The speedometer gearing box goes from the bearing seal up to the fork tube. I called the dealership thinking I had somehow lost it when I was changing the front tire and the parts guy is saying there is no spacer shown at all on the clutch side.
I believe this whole thread was ST1300 specific, I'm moving it to that location, sorry about the confusion.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #

There are different sized spacers on the front wheel between the fork and wheel, the one on the right (clutch side) is thin and the one on the left is thick... if those look 'off' like they are on the wrong side, that might be an issue.

also read this;
Sorry .... As I should have remembered... default is "as if sitting on the bike".... Tks Joe for clearing that up with pix
Added FRONT VIEW

Read / look at the st wiki; http://stwiki.notonthe.net/twiki/bin/view/ST13/FrontWheelQuickGuide

Last edited:
Bike
ex-ST'r
STOC #
If the nut was loose on disassembly, then I suspect you are not doing the install procedure right. ALL pinch bolts should be loose when you torque the axle. This requires you have something for both ends of the axle (I use an inverted plug socket that fits the left side). Once torqued, then bounce the front end with the pinch bolts loose to align the fork, then tighten the pinch bolts, right side first works best for me. Be sure the left axle head is flush with the machined flat part of the fork. If it isn't something else is wrong.

Bike
2012 Kawasaki C14
STOC #

That sounds more like brakes draggin'

Bike
98 ST1100
Sorry folks, didn't notice this was a 1300 thread. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the brakes are dragging since the spacer thing isn't in play.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
tks joe...

and @mp66226, disc brakes will always have a bit of contact with the rotor and even make noise... but when the bike is up on the centerstand you should be able to give the wheel a spin... it will spin a turn or two. If the pads are really dragging, the rotor will far to hot to touch . ( easy way to to compare the left to right by CAREFUL touch... they should be about the same, warm to hot but NOT Very hot after short ride )

Top Bottom