Bike Turntable Option

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Ok folks here is another option that has worked very well for me. It would work perfect on a concrete floor or wooden floor like mine.

UPs - it is so easy to turn your bike around it almost feels like it is on ball bearings.
DOWNs - You have to have a designated bike parking spot.

Supplies
1 each 4x8 sheet of 3/4" plywood (rough on both sides is fine) Not really necessary but I didn't want to mess up the wood floor of my shop.

1 each 4 foot by 16 inches piece of metal (I used a piece of sheet metal I found on the road that had fallen out of some trash truck. It needed some straighting but a hammer and and a piece of 2x4 worked fine.

1 each piece of heavy plastic at least 16" in diameter (I cut up a piece of carpet protection matting. The kind you slide under your desk so your chair will roll easier. I had to rasp off the little knobbies so both sides would be smooth.

1 each 3/4" round head bolt - Mine is 1/4" thick - you can use larger if you want but it only needs to be long enough to just go through the plywood, metal and plastic and not stick up like a thorn that would damage your tire.

2 tablespoons of bearing grease

4 to 6 flat head wood screws coarse thread 1/2 inch long

Tools
1 each drill
1 each drill bit slightly smaller than your wood screws
1 each drill bit slightly LARGER than your round head bolt
1 each screwdriver - cross or slot would depend on the screws you use

Instructions:
1 - lay the plywood down on the floor where you want to spin your bike
2 - lay the piece of metal on the plywood board approximately in the middle of the plywood
NOTE: For most bikes with a centerstand it is easier to lift it if the front wheel is lower than the rear wheel. Thus if you position your metal so that is the case the metal will be closer to one end of the plywood. Or you could use a piece of 1x6 and that works just fine too.
3 - using the drill and a selected drill bit slightly smaller than the wood screws - drill a hole in each of the corners of the metal.
NOTE: You want to get pretty close to the corner to keep it from folding up on you with standard ware.
4 - Using the screwdriver, secure the metal to the 4x8 sheet of plywood with the wood screws
5 - Position the plastic on top of the metal in the center (width) of the plywood.
6 - Using the Drill and large drill bit, drill a hole in the center of the plastic continuing on through the metal and plywood.
7 - Evenly spread the grease on the plastic
8 - Put the greased side down on the metal so the holes line up
9 - Insert the round head bolt through the hole - it should be slightly snug but not so much as to bind the rotation of the plastic on the metal

If I can figure out how to upload pics they will accompany this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom