DIY Fork Oil Gauge

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
It was time to do the fork oil on both ST1100s and I haven't ever owned a Fork oil guage/tool before; so, since I waited to the last minute it was time to build one (not buy one).

Home Depot doesn't carry small dia tubing and neither do large chain craft stores. But, on my way to the 3rd craft/hobby store (1st one closed on Sundays) I saw an ACE Hardware.
Success!!!

1/8th OD soft copper tubing 2ft (buck a foot @ this store)
3/16th shaft collar ($2.67)
Long threaded screw ($.48. Hex head on this one; but it wouldn't matter what type head it has)

Brake bleeding vinyl tubing that I had sitting around.
30ml syringe that I had sitting around. You can find a syringe in kitchen stores (marinade injectors) or at farm supply stores as well as a medical facilities :)cool: :D)).

1st picture: parts.
2nd picture: assembled.

Use:
1) follow the manual for getting the forks off, drained, springs removed and compressed.
2) put desired weight fork oil into fork and pump the 'insides' to fill any voids.
3) make sure the oil is *above* the desired level
4) move collar to desired fork oil height.
NB: the long screw will be resting on the top of the fork so measure from the bottom of the screw not the bottom of the steel collar.
5) insert copper tube into fork and rest screw on top of fork tube.
6) Using the syringe; suck oil out until no more oil can be withdrawn. This might take multiple syringes full of fork oil depending on the size of your syringe; but, it doesn't matter, just keep withdrawing until you get only bubbles.

Reassemble according to manual.
Go ride.

Attachments

Bike
1997 ST1100
STOC #
I have always used an old squirt bottle squirter. Make a mark on the tube...overfill the fork slightly and squirt out the oil holding the mark on the top of the fork leg. Gotta admit yours is slick though!

OP
OP
Mark

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Good one!

The 'squirt-bottle' tube would lend itself to an addition of a collar really easily too...

Top Bottom