Sargent Seat

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Had one on my 03 and it was a very good seat.

Built well and comfortable. I have another one now that I'm trying out to see if it works better for me.

It's a nice firm foam but might irritate your hamstring area after a while. Will try to put the front higher than the rear even though on this one I didn't notice I was sliding forward.

Bike
2013 650 vSTrom
STOC #
Re: Sargent seat disapointment

I had a Sargent seat for awhile, although I didn't like the way it felt, I thought it was one of the finest crafted seats out there.
I don't think any seat is worth $600.00, but thats just me sayin'

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #

I have the heated version and couldn't be happier with the build quality. Perhaps they've started to take short cuts with their quality control? Mine is almost 4 years old and looks like new. Cheers Marty

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #

I bought a survival kit that packed handily in the tube under the passenger seat. That is a feature of the underside the stock and other aftermarket or custom seats don't have.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I just had a used Sargent seat (thanks Robert!) recovered and put it to the test riding the 3500+ miles to and from WeSTOC. It replaced a Corbin Solo that I had on there. First it's a definite improvement over the Corbin and second, I didn't think the workmanship looked any worse that the OEM seat and I think it's slightly better than the Corbin in that respect.

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
My new Sargent arrived a few days ago, and yesterday's 270 mile trip to Pismo Beach was the first trial run for it.

Like the others have responded, I'm VERY impressed with the build quality, and the seat so far seems better for my burning ***** than the custom Bill Mayer they built specifically for my *****!!

I bought my Sargent seat from eBay seller rccsportbikes, for $350 + $10 shipping (front seat only). The seat arrived in a large box stuffed with styrofoam peanuts. The shipping label underneath my shipping label was from Sargent, and the seat is brand new--meaning rcc just received the seat from Sargent, threw my shipping label on top, and sent it to me. And rcc had very good communication throughout the transaction--which took about 3 weeks total. I'm very happy with the merchant (and the very fair price for the seat).

Bike
2007 ST1300
Also i need to figure out a way to lighten up the throttle return springs, as my right hand goes numb real quick. :(
I use the poor man's cruise control to combat this issue. Pick up a pack of tiny bungee straps from Home Depot or Lowes. Wrap one around the handlebar between the throttle and the brake reservoir and attach both ends to the 90 degree cable connector for the throttle. It adds just enough friction that I can take my hand off at speed and it maintains my speed.

Dennis

Bike
2009 ST1300
I recently bought a Sargent seat and it is one of the best looking seats I have seen. The quality looks top notch also. I have had some serious butt burn problems and this helped, but didn't quite solve the issue so I added an Alaska sheepskin cover. This helped a little bit more. So then I added the "gel" pad from Walmart that has been talked about on this site, under the sheepskin pad and this combination has been great!! Of course I had to lower the seat setting to make up for the extra inch on add-ons...but my butt is much happier now!

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I've got 30K + on my Sargent and I'd say it still looks pretty much the way it did when I bought it new. I'd give the quality and construction very high ratings. Mine doesn't fit me exactly the way that I'd like but I don't fault Sargent for that.

Don't know what to tell you that others haven't already said. Maybe you got a bum one or something.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the seat.
Mike

Bike
2007 ST1300A6
I had a Sargent on my old R1150GS and it was excellent! Comfortable and well made, I loved it.

I have a Corbin Canyon Dual-Sport on my ST1300 and it looks pretty good, but it is seriously HEAVY and doesn't quite cure "butt-burn" the way the Sargent did.

:06biker:

You should see some of the other forums. This bunch here will seem very nice. O.K. let us go back to the Sargent seat. I have tried them all, OEM, OEM Spencer mod, Russell, Corbin etc… The Sargent worked the best for me. Every tosh is different and what may work for one, may not work for someone else. Many riders here rave about the Russell Day Long seat. It felt worse than my stock (for me anyway). I personally think that the Sargent is better made then the Russell. With that being said, just pick one that feels most comfortable. Furthermore, the aftermarket seats are grossly overpriced. Good luck.

Bike
St1300
When you mount the seat on the ST, mount the front 1 step higher than the rear, so that you are no slanted down towards the tank. For example, put th front in the middle position and the rear in the low position. Works well.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
When you mount the seat on the ST, mount the front 1 step higher than the rear, so that you are no slanted down towards the tank. For example, put th front in the middle position and the rear in the low position. Works well.
+1 on this. It's the most comfortable combination I've tried...

davidrider

Kungfu Panda
Bike
HD Road King 2017
I've had my Sargent Seat for about two months. I thought the build quality was/is good. It is better than the original seat by far. It doesn't push your groin into the tank which can make riding, esp. long distance, much more comfortable. However, I wish they put a layer of gel into it. Their foam is good but it doesn't do as much as gel would to eliminate the high freq vibes that can cause butt burn over time. It's still a good seat in my opinion but it's a little pricey and could use a gel layer.

I have had one for about 3000 miles and have found it too firm - the stock seat for me is more comfortable. However I recently drilled a few 12mm holes in the Sargent seat base which has allowed the unit to "breathe" when I sit on it. Job done the seat is now very comfortable. One important feature is it offers great support on the twisties.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I just did a 320 mile day on the Sargent saddle I bought from GSMetal. (Steve, thanks for a great packing job and quick shipping)

It's a big improvement over the stock saddle. It's much firmer, but I think that's what's needed for long-distance comfort. I moved the seat height from the middle position to the lowest position because I like to plant my feet flat on the ground when I stop. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam and about 200 lbs. If you're lighter, or shorter, the seat might not work as well, otherwise, I highly recommend it.

Sitting on a small patch of vinyl is going to be a problem no matter what saddle you have. Even with the Sargent, I like to stop at least every 100 miles or so, if only to stretch my legs (I'm thinking about highway pegs next).

An unexpected benefit of the Sargent saddle is that it pushes me a little further forward making the reach to the bars easier. I had considered spacers to move the bars higher and closer, but I won't be needing them. Since I'm sitting just a little closer to the bars, the wind pressure on my back doesn't create quite as much hand pressure as before.

And, as another poster commented, since the saddle is firmer, I feel more "connected" to the bike on twisty roads. So, all in all, I'm very happy with my purchase.

Bike
'04 ST, no abs

Hello Marty. If ever you want to sell your heated Sargent, please let me know. Thank you. Jimbo.
:CanFlag1:

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #
The stock ST13 passenger seat has a slope that's fine if there's not a backrest of any kind and sitting up or leaning forward. The problem is when there's a backrest. When the passenger leans back, they slide forward and have to keep re-positioning. My question is: Does the rear Sargent seat have the same slope, or is the front of the rear seat higher which would help with the "sliding" issue for the passenger? Thanks!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
The stock ST13 passenger seat has a slope that's fine if there's not a backrest of any kind and sitting up or leaning forward. The problem is when there's a backrest. When the passenger leans back, they slide forward and have to keep re-positioning. My question is: Does the rear Sargent seat have the same slope, or is the front of the rear seat higher which would help with the "sliding" issue for the passenger? Thanks!
The pillion seat area is slightly dished with a pronounced raised area at the front that keeps the pillion from sliding forward. This pic kind of shows it.

Last edited:

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
The rear seat has kind of a pocket you sit in. No slope.
I have had one on my ST1300 for many years and love it. I went with the new Performance Plus version on my Triumph Tiger. I like it even better.

Top Bottom