ST1300 Rear Shock Recommendations

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
The below information relates to ST1300?s only. I did the best I could with getting information on some of the more popular options for replacement ST1300 rear shocks. If any of the information below is incorrect please let me know and I will fix.

All of the shock vendors said they would/did setup the shock/spring combo based on ST1300 specs/weight. All the vendors EXCEPT Hyperpro said they did actual machine and/or user testing of their shocks to arrive at their ST1300 shock setup. Why the Hyperpro tech admitted this I have no idea.

After all of this research it comes down to Penske for me, either the $1,200 8987 or the $875 8983. The only significant difference is the 8987 has separate low/high compression damping adjustments, where the 8983 has one adjuster that controls both low/high settings.

I settled on Penske because:
  • Reviews by forum members, and the general internet public, are generally positive on Penske shocks. Good reputation.
  • It is the only vendor in this list that has separate ride height adjustments. Some claim ride height adjustment, but this is claimed via hydraulic preload adjustment. The ride height change from hydraulic preload adjustment is a byproduct, at least from my perspective, and without a separate adjuster, for me at least, does not count. I put Sonic springs in the front, like many others, and it raised my front height. I like the option at least of raising the rear to be able to play with/compensate for this change.
  • Has low/high speed compression damping, not all do.
  • Has preload adjustment, not all do.
  • Has rebound damping, which all do.
  • Has a straight rate spring. Straight rate is more predictable, and easier to know what you are getting when doing suspension tuning, versus progressive. That is the main reason I like straight rate.
  • Sounds like they have the setup dialed in now, 22? hose, long shock top, generally 1300 pound spring. Those who came before have already paved the path for how this should be setup on the ST1300.
  • At $875 for the Penske 8983 shock/spring versus $700 for the stock ST1300 shock/spring the value is clearly there, at least for me. Update: paid $795 for Penske.
  • Some of the other shocks/vendors had issues which are detailed below.

Below is the info I gathered on these vendors. If anything is incorrect please let me know.

Shock: OEM ST1300
Price: $700
Preload: Yes
High Speed Compression Damping: No
Low Speed Compression Damping: No
Rebound Damping: Yes
Ride Height Adjustable: No. Other than preload changes, no separate ride height adjustment.
Spring Type: 900 pound, not sure if straight rate or progressive
Comments: Common knowledge is the spring is not enough for the bike/rider, especially for heavier folks or two up riders. If nothing else it would be good to replace the spring with Hyperpro, RaceTech or some other spring. I did not really look into this much because the shock on mine needs work/replacing.

Shock: Stock Shock Rebuild from RaceTech
Price: Less than $400
Ride Height Adjustable: No. Other than preload changes, no separate ride height adjustment.
Spring Type: Replaced valving with Gold valves, heavier spring and spacer.
Comments: Ddullin had some problems with price being higher than quoted, rebuild shock came with deflated preload adjuster, preload adjuster hose orientation was 180 degrees wrong, shipping was slower than expected. Other than the above, happy with the new setup.

Shock: Penske 8983
Price: $875
High Speed Compression Damping: High and low are adjusted via one knob, so no separate high/low controls, but was told high/low does exist in the shock.
Low Speed Compression Damping: See above
Ride Height Adjustable: Yes, there is a separate ride height adjustment that will change the height about ? inch.
Spring Type: Straight Rate
Comments: The main difference between the 8983 and 8987 is the 8987 has both low and high speed compression damping adjusters. Other than that the internals of these two shocks are the same. I was also told by Penske that the shocks, whether you order direct or via a dealer, are all made by Penske. So, find a local/best price, place the order, and Penske will build it. Also, they have in their system the ST1300 spec (22? hose, long top, generally 1300 pound spring). Some previous people helped them work this out.
Contact Info: 610-375-6180

Shock: Penske 8987
Price: $1,200
High Speed Compression Damping: Yes
Low Speed Compression Damping: Yes
Ride Height Adjustable: Yes, there is a separate ride height adjustment that will change the height about ? inch.
Comments: The main difference between the 8983 and 8987 is the 8987 has both low and high speed compression damping adjusters. Other than that the internals of these two shocks are the same. I was also told by Penske that the shocks, whether you order direct or via a dealer, are all made by Penske. So, find a local/best price, place the order, and Penske will build it. Also, they have in their system the ST1300 spec (22? hose, long top, generally 1300 pound spring). Some previous people helped them work this out.
Contact Info: 610-375-6180

Shock: Works Ultrasport
Price: $985
Preload: Remote hydraulic
Comments: You don?t get compression damping. For almost $1,000 I don?t see the point in getting this shock.
Contact Info: 818-701-1010

Shock: Progressive 465
Price: $500
Preload: Yes, but not via remote adjuster.
Spring Type: Progressive, 850/1200
Comments: Have an option for 1? lower shock which might be of interest to some. So, the base shock would be 1? lower. The progressive spring seems to be a weak point here. I confirmed that this spring is the heaviest weight spring they offer. With a top end of 1200 pounds this won?t work for some/many two up riders. If you go this route you might still find the bike is undersprung.
Contact Info: 714-523-8700

Shock: Progressive 465 with HRH (Hydraulic Ride Height adjuster, which is basically a remote preload adjuster)
Price: $745
Preload: Yes, via HRH-remote preload
Spring Type Progressive, 850/1200
Comments: Have an option for 1? lower shock which might be of interest to some. So, the base shock would be 1? lower. The progressive spring seems to be a weak point here. I confirmed that this spring is the heaviest weight spring they offer. With a top end of 1200 pounds this won?t work for some/many two up riders. If you go this route you might still find the bike is undersprung.
Contact Info: 714-523-8700

Shock: Hyperpro 466
Price: $680
Preload: No
Ride Height Adjustable: No.
Spring Type: Progressive
Comments: Per the person I called (same tech both times) no testing was done to make sure these shocks work on the ST. They took ST specs and then did valving and other setup based on the specs, not testing.
Contact Info: 877-786-6543

Shock: Hyperpro 461
Price: $900 shock + $270 remote preload adjuster
Preload: Yes, via optional remote preload adjuster
High Speed Compression Damping: Yes
Low Speed Compression Damping: Yes
Spring Type: Progressive
Comments: Per the person I called (same tech both times) no testing was done to make sure these shocks work on the ST. They took ST specs and then did valving and other setup based on the specs, not testing.
Contact Info: 877-786-6543

Shock: RaceTech RSSHO o5IRNN
Price: $750
Preload: No
Ride Height Adjustable: No
Comments:
Contact Info: 951-279-6655 x301

Shock: RaceTech RSSHO O5IRNR
Price: $1,000
Preload: Remote hydraulic
Comments: For $1,000 should have compression damping.
Contact Info: 951-279-6655 x301

Shock: Hagon M61085, application type N
Price: $475 + $200 for hydraulic spring adjuster
High Speed Compression Damping: Linked compression and rebound damping? Not sure what that is. Damping adjustment via a bypass control valve via a single adjuster.
Low Speed Compression Damping:
Ride Height Adjustable:
Spring Type:
Comments: Per dduelin, at least two people bought Hagon shocks and had problems. Dduelin had two that failed within 4,000 miles. Honestly, I didn?t spend a lot of time on these. Quite a bit on the internet how these shocks are not real good.
Contact Info:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have a RaceTech G3-S shock with remote reservoir/preload/hi-low compression/rebound/ride height and perhaps further inquiry to them might prompt them to offer combinations of the G3-S for the ST like they have for the FJR (7 available).

You want remote preload if you switch between one and two up, otherwise it's a manual (tedious) adjustment with a spanner. I cannot recall, but check if the Penske's preload is via remote or whether you have to use wrenches.

As for high/low speed damping, it nice but IMHO you don't really need it unless you are really into fine tuning for optimum like the racers are.

Also, Penske, Wilbers (Hyperpro), RaceTech and perhaps others are rebuildable down the road.

Bike
ST1300 '05
Thanks for the info, well thought out. I don't remember the details but Race Tech was at Westoc and offered a good discount on orders up to or maybe thru November, I think all you have to do is mention Westoc and ask for the discount.

RCS

Thank you for the research and information.

Out of curiosity, what is the advantage for selecting a penske versus a rebuilt by Racetech stock shock? Are there big potholes where you ride that would require hi and low compression damping?

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Thanks for the comparison info Tom!

OP
OP
tlartist

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Well.....the rebuild from racetech is of the stock shock. The stock shock is kind of crappy by association with the rear spring. ;-)

Honestly I don't know the quality of the stock shock as compared to the Penske. I am assuming the Penske is made with better materials, but don't know that for a fact. I don't know what testing racetech did of the rebuilt OEM shock on a 1300? I assume they maybe didn't test it, but don't know for sure.

Once preload is set you don't usually mess with that much, at least I don't. Once preload is dialed in for one up riding I leave it alone. The amount of compression damping affects traction, plushness, bottoming resistance, etc. I guess from my perspective compression damping is one of the most important things you can tweak and have direct control over.

The Penske is also height adjustable where the stock is not. I added the sonic springs up front and this raised the front of my bike. I want to increase the rear height to see if this will improve bike handling. The front feels a little looser to me since the sonic install. I love the Sonics, just seems a little light.

Honestly I think the big problem on the rear is the spring. If your spring is bottomed out your shock isn't going to be able to help much. Changing that alone seems like a good move for pretty much anyone, and it doesn't cost that much. I wanted the Penske 8983 because of all the things above and the newer spring.

I also wanted to throw this out there. I asked Penske for a recommended shock rebuild interval and they said 25,000 miles. So if you have greater than 25,000 miles on your rear shock you might want to consider a rebuild/service. I am also a fan of using synthetic fluid in the front forks, like redline, and changing this out every 25,000 or sooner.
Posted via Mobile Device

RCS

Thank you for the insight. Rebuild at 25,000 miles is a good data point. Don't think I'm going to rebuild until I begin bouncing around.:D I'm at 25,000 miles right now so it could be on my 1,200 mile ride beginning at half past dark.

Bike
'06 ST1300A
I believe all of the shocks listed are rebuildable.
The OEM shock is not "rebuildable" in the normal sense. As you probably know, "Rebuildable" generally means replace the fluid and the seals and you're good to go for a (relative) pittance. There's no provision in the OEM for opening up the shock and doing that. A RaceTech rebuild of the OEM is shock surgery, which does result in the shock being "rebuildable" subsequently, i.e. it won't cost you $400-600 again.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Well I have to say that you investigation is very complete and informative, I kinda did the same thing and I got caught up in the adjustment trap, I ended up getting a Works Racer shock for my ST1100 and after adjusting it till the cows come home found that all the settings didn't make all that much difference, once I got it set I didn't change it unless I was loaded up for a Trip and then it was only preload to get my 1 5/8th's sag, it sounded good at the time but after all was said and done all those adjustments was a wast of money. I'm saying this from my own experience so YMMV :03biker:

STOC #
I opted for the Racetech rebuild of my stock shock (showa). Gold valve and new eibach spring for my weight. It is rebuildable so I can now have the oil and gas changed. I also know that it will fit. Some folks had problems with the penske shock not fitting and a grinding wheel was involved. Correct me if I'm wrong..
The rear of the 1300 now feels more planted than before. Tracks better too. Sonic springs and Racetech gold valves up front...
And I swore I wouldn't farkle up this bike........................... sheeeeeeche......

mitch

OP
OP
tlartist

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Yup, some of the original Penske shocks setup needed some tweaking but my understanding is the recent ones have not. I will report how it goes once I get mine.
Posted via Mobile Device

OP
OP
tlartist

tlartist

Tom Laux
Bike
ST1300
Well I have to say that you investigation is very complete and informative, I kinda did the same thing and I got caught up in the adjustment trap, I ended up getting a Works Racer shock for my ST1100 and after adjusting it till the cows come home found that all the settings didn't make all that much difference, once I got it set I didn't change it unless I was loaded up for a Trip and then it was only preload to get my 1 5/8th's sag, it sounded good at the time but after all was said and done all those adjustments was a wast of money. I'm saying this from my own experience so YMMV :03biker:

I mostly agree with this. That is why I am going with the 8983 vs 8987. Heard Penske usually has a sale coming up soon so hopefully I will get the 8983 for about $775. Worth it to me to have ride height, compression adjustment, new spring and new shock. Kind of a compromise between the racetech rebuild and 8987.
Posted via Mobile Device

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I opted for the Racetech rebuild of my stock shock (showa). Gold valve and new eibach spring for my weight. It is rebuildable so I can now have the oil and gas changed. I also know that it will fit. Some folks had problems with the penske shock not fitting and a grinding wheel was involved. Correct me if I'm wrong..
The rear of the 1300 now feels more planted than before. Tracks better too. Sonic springs and Racetech gold valves up front...
And I swore I wouldn't farkle up this bike........................... sheeeeeeche......

mitch
I'm about to go down this same path. I have my Racetech spring (Eibach) and am about to remove the shock and send it to Racetech. I'll also order a set of Gold Valves for the forks (already have Sonics in there). Planning to install the Gold Valves in the forks myself. Has anyone done this and have any pointers?

Very informative discussion! Thanks to all of those that have inquired and submitted reports.
I'm concerned about fitment issues, too! I remember reading about someone grinding to fit a shock! Anyway, I'm at 43,000 miles and my shock doesn't feel good like it used too; however, I'm a slow rider and want to throw it out there and ask if its even worth getting a penske?
Price wise there is a small difference between a replacement stock and penske, but is it worth the hassle? A rebulild is something I won't consider since I would miss riding time. I would want better handling, but is a stock replacement just easier to swap out and be done with it?

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
A rebulild is something I won't consider since I would miss riding time.
I had this concern also. I don't know if this is their typical service but I sent my rear shock to Race Tech last Thursday and got it back finished on Monday! Of course it helps that they are less than 100 miles from me in California too, still that's pretty amazing turn around.

I actually purchased a low-mileage spare from eBay for $60 just in case it was going to be a long turn around, but after the hassle removing the old one (don't know if it's easier on a non-ABS bike or not) I decided to wait for the rebuilt one instead of going through the motions twice. Luckily it came very quickly.

I have the gold valves for the forks on the bench but am waiting for new bushings and seals from Zanotti.

STOC #
I have the gold valves for the forks on the bench but am waiting for new bushings and seals from Zanotti.

I opted to change out the bushing and seals when the gold valves were installed. I had a local GMD Computrac guy do it.. Took a week as he is the local suspension guru down here. Came highly recomended. I took him just the forks and a week later I got them back and installed them. They squeeked. He told me this is normal and the springs needed to "seat" and get moved up and down a few times.. Rode 100 miles and they still squeeked. I opened up the forks from the top and he had the springs set up different than Honda. I put them back to honda spec and they still squeeked. I'm thinking bushings or ???????
Took the fork legs off the bike and took them back to him and waited a week.. Got them back and no squeek. He gave me some cockamamie answer about him "rebuilding" the shocks from scratch. He also put 15 wt oil in and could probally use 7 after going for a ride.. He also changed the preload spacers and that's a little off too.. Then again he is the guru, what do I know as a mear mortal... That's why I like doing this stuff my self. And I learn something sometimes too!!!
Sorry for the hijack....

mitch
All in all it was worth it

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
If they were progressively wound springs, I've found they squeak if the close wound coils are up, if you turn the spring upside down (per Honda's recommended orientation), they don't squeak any more.

Top Bottom