New noises

Bike
05" ST
I have a 05 with 40k miles that has developed some od noises as of late. The electronic sound the bike makes when the ignition is turned on has gone to an abnormal squelching sound. The bike starts and runs normally so I thought I would just live with it until today I started the bike and noticed a new sound, like something rapping against the inner fairing. I turned the bike off and it continued to make the rapping sound with very irregular intervals. I went ahead and rode home 50 miles (no choice) didn't hear it on the freeway. The bike ran normal, got home fine, no noise. I'm going to investigate more this weekend, just wondered if anyone else has experienced this odd problem.

Tankereng

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 Goldwing
STOC #
Sounds like fuel pump going out.....as for the new noise....fuel gurgling back into the tank from the fuel system perhaps?

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The headlight motor has been known to make some strange sounds when defective. I'd start by messing with that knob to see if it makes a difference.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
It's not the air pressure escaping/getting in to the tank noise thing is it?

OP
OP
Bike
05" ST
Thanks mellow, I never would have thought the headlight adjustment knob required a motor to operate that function. Sounds like a great place to start my search.

You are disturbing the cute little critter that has taken up residence in your motorcycle? On the freeway he's hangin' on with all four but when you start up the ST you wake him up and he's not happy? Offer him some coffee and see if that helps.

All seriousness aside, I vote for Mellow's headlight adjuster problem. I have heard of them cycling on and off for no apparent reason.

pete

OP
OP
Bike
05" ST
Thanks again Mellow, you are right, it is the headlight motor you spoke of. Sounds like the rapping noise is the motor trying to go beyond it's stop skipping a gear perhaps? What a bizarre bit of over engineering on Honda's part. I haven't touched that knob since 06' when I bought the bike. Hopefully I can just disconnect it and not have the headlight move on it's own.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
ST-RAY,
When you unplugged the headlight aiming motor did that solve the problem? I have the same issue. I can hear the thumping sound and see the headlights jump. I am hoping that if I just unplug the motor the headlights will remain fixed in the current location. I rarely ever used the adjustment anyway so it won’t be much of an inconvenience if that works.

Thanks
Mel

Top Bottom