Article HID Install with Time Delay Relay

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I gave up on the TDR. I was having issues with the left bulb firing. Now with the ignition cutoff switch bypassed they just stay on when the key is turned and the starter is engaged.

Bigmak96

R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
I had problems with my install too and just started to hold the starter button in B4 turning the key. Then the lights do not fire up till you let off the starter button. Works well as long as the bike starts.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
It worked perfect for over a year. Could be just the ballast on that side but it happened after I had just replaced the HIDS.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
One of the guys in Australia is an aircraft tech.
What we did was get a plug from Easter Beaver and use it to interrupt the side stand. With the stand down, lights off. Stand up, lights on.
The best thing is that you don't have to cut any wires and it is removable in 10 seconds, ok 50 seconds with getting the side cover off.

http://ozstoc.com/index.php?topic=324.0
Now THAT'S an elegant solution.

Bike
2008 A6 St1300
I have a similar problem with the left hid which often doesn't light up. If it does, then it generally goes off after about 15 sec. It doesn't matter if I hold down the start switch whilst turning the key. I have noticed that if I then press the start switch while the engine is running then the left hid flickers rapidly before going off again.

Any clues gratefully received.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
My guess would be a ballast or a bulb. Try switching the leads to the bulbs from side to side & see if the problem moves. If it does, bulb--if not, ballast. A third possibility would be the controller. Some have a relay for each side & others have only one for both sides. If switching the bulbs & ballasts doesn't move the problem from one side to the other, check the controller. A problem there may mean you have to buy another complete kit. I have had the same problem myself.

The HID kits only use one of the two headlight sockets and the controller separates the output to the two bulbs.

This is only a guess on my part. The OP obviously has much more experience than I so he may have another diagnosis.

JZH

International Bodger
Now THAT'S an elegant solution.
I agree. Saved for future reference!

Failed ignition of HIDs is usually down to the ballast. When I ran HIDs I had plenty of false-starts. Changing to an OEM-quality ballast should solve that problem. Bulb and ballast swapping should be tried first, as this will pinpoint the defect. Places like The Retrofit Source (and eBay) can supply OEM ballasts as well as adapter cables to fit the typical HID Conversion Kit connectors.

Ciao,

Bike
2008 A6 St1300
Swapped out the ballast today. Oddly, it consistently lasted about a minute before it went out compared to 15 sec with the old one.

Checked the earth and swapped over the trigger wires and and relays to no avail.

The power went to an aux fuse box where an add-a-circuit fuse fed separate supplies to each hid. Removing this item finally fixed it.

So it was a combination of an ailing ballast and dodgy power feed.

Phew.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Those add-a-circuits are always trouble spots. I remove every one I find. Almost as bad are five wires stacked up on the battery posts. Use a terminal strip or another fuse block if you are going to do this.

HID circuits are simple. There are only three parts to the system--Controller, Ballast,& Bulbs. The problem has to be one of those, unless you have a bad input power feed or have added something else to it.

You can set the system up on the bench with a battery or use jumper leads off the bike to verify that everything works as designed.

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
While I had the plastic off on the weekend, I completed 3 jobs.
Bled the brakes entirely.
Installed a Stebel horn and relay.

Installed a TDS ( Time Delay Headlight Switch) and a 3 position switch in the right fairing pocket.

The switch has 3 settings.
1. Top: There is a 6 to 300 second delay when the headlights comes on. I have it set at a delay of 30 seconds
2. Centre: This position of the switch is called the maintenance position. No lights on while you have the key in the on position or when the bike is running.
3. Bottom: This position is the headlights come on when the key is in the on position and stays on when the bike is running. Also, the lights stay on when you hit the start button.

I did this TDS modification in preparation of installing the HID headlights I bought. Still sitting on the fence, the OEM lights are trouble free for me. I have heard people having problems with the HID kits and relays/wiring, and that's giving me cold feet on this farkle.
Might have to make up my own heavy duty wiring harness, as it sounds like the one that comes with the kit is rather light duty.

Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
Just wanted to post another big thank you to Sennister for this right up. I had my HID's on the shelf for a couple years. Finally finished the install today with the time delay relay and the bosch relay mod and they both work flawlessly.

Top Bottom