Flange Bearings...

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
First let me tks Joe for the pretty pics/article on this... it made it go like clock work.

I was changing the rear tire ( what a dog to get on by yrself!) and found the flange bearings to feel notchy. They were fine at last tire change about 10k ago but this time def not feeling good ( bearings had about 25k ).

Thank goodness I had a set in the junk box... took about 20 mins to swap out.

Here's some pics attached...

I wonder now about the other bearings in the wheel opposite flange (bigger)... any one have them go and if so is there a part list so I can stock for next time??

EDIT: pics are outer bearing, inner bearing only scored about 1/3 of diameter

Attachments

Bike
04 ST1300
I had to replace mine at my first tire change after I bought it at about 62K. Metal all over the place and missing balls. Removed them and matched them at a bearing store.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
First let me tks Joe for the pretty pics/article on this... it made it go like clock work.

I was changing the rear tire ( what a dog to get on by yrself!) and found the flange bearings to feel notchy. They were fine at last tire change about 10k ago but this time def not feeling good ( bearings had about 25k ).

Thank goodness I had a set in the junk box... took about 20 mins to swap out.

Here's some pics attached...

I wonder now about the other bearings in the wheel opposite flange (bigger)... any one have them go and if so is there a part list so I can stock for next time??

EDIT: pics are outer bearing, inner bearing only scored about 1/3 of diameter
My flange drive bearings have been changed three times, but my wheel bearings are OK after 91k miles and 8.5 years.

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
I changed my flange bearings at 32k, they were bad, also changed the wheel bearings while I was at it but they seemed fine.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
CBR Bearings(http://www.cbrbearing.com/motorcycles_&_atv's.htm) has pre-packaged front and rear wheel bearing kits for the ST1300, as well as a kit for the steering stem tapered roller upgrade and the driven flange bearings. Just call them at 1-800-769-5388 and they'll hook you up.

By the way - they also have a big honkin' roller bearing that replaces both of the driven flange ball bearings. I think they said that it has about 50% more load bearing capacity than the two ball bearings combined. I ordered one to keep on the shelf in case mine go belly up again. (Honda replaced the OEMs a few days before the bike went out of warranty...)

Bike
2004 ST1300/XR650L
STOC #
do u have a parts list u used?
I went with the bearing kit from CBR that roginoz mentioned. I liked the idea of the "big honkin' roller bearing" :) for the driven flange. It's too soon to tell if they will hold up longer, I only have around 12k miles on mine but so far all is good.

Bike
'05 ST1300
STOC #
I don't have it in front of me (it's over at the garage,) but I think it does. I'll try to remember to check when I'm there tomorrow. The steering stem kit was very complete, with new dust seals and everything, so I imaging the wheel bearing kits do, as well.

Gus1300

Site Supporter
Bike
04 1300A
Just ordered the full kit from CBR. Haven't had the wheels off yet myself, nor gotten into the steering/fork tubes yet either but looking into doing the valve upgrade at the same time I have them off (they do have to come off, right?) for the tapered bearing installation. More to follow!

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
CBR Bearings(http://www.cbrbearing.com/motorcycles_&_atv's.htm) has pre-packaged front and rear wheel bearing kits for the ST1300, as well as a kit for the steering stem tapered roller upgrade and the driven flange bearings. Just call them at 1-800-769-5388 and they'll hook you up.

By the way - they also have a big honkin' roller bearing that replaces both of the driven flange ball bearings. I think they said that it has about 50% more load bearing capacity than the two ball bearings combined. I ordered one to keep on the shelf in case mine go belly up again. (Honda replaced the OEMs a few days before the bike went out of warranty...)
My 03 has their big honkin roller bearing and it is working out great. I could look and see what the mileage was when it was installed but I have 22K that I have ridden on it personally and it has held up well.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I just ordered the double wide flange bearing from cbr yesterday. Price has gone up- $49 now...but I felt it was worth it.

Jim

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was pleasantly surprised! I just got to pulling the rear wheel to change my flange bearing. A little history: When I changed my rear tire around 3000 miles ago, I noticed the flange bearing was every so slightly rough, but needed attention. Being toward the end of the season, and needing my bike (only transportation at the time), I put it off until winter maintenance. I crossed my fingers that no further damage would be done before I could get to changing it. Well here we are 3k miles later and I finally pulled it. I fully expected the bearing to be really trashed, and possibly even another bearing worn by now. Well I was surprised to find that the flange bearing was still exactly like it was 3k miles ago, and there was no further damage. I pressed out the bearings, and only 1 of the two flange bearings was slightly rough feeling...the other felt like new. Tomorrow I'll clean grease from the parts and press in the new bearing (its in the freezer right now), and get it back together. One more project checked off my winter maintenance list!

Jim

Top Bottom