Re-Painting the ST

how long did it take you to undress her Trike

I had maybe 3 hours in removing all the plastic and disassembling the panniers and various other trim pieces. I was planning on a lot more time but it went real smooth. I did spend some additional time cleaning all the plastic real good removing all the years of grime on the inside of the pieces.

Color? now thats a good question and one that i didnt anticipate being such a difficult choice. I've eliminated the VFR scheme due to cost. So that leave red or yellow and Ive got a week or so until the painter needs to know. So I havnt made up my mind yet.

It's a real hassle and cost to have a single piece such as a mirror cover painted to a non-standard color later on.

Absolutely not contending that anyone is wrong to do so but just wishing to ensure that anyone contemplating painting includes this factor. FWIW, if considering a non-standard color, take a mirror cover to your local paint shop for an estimate. The cost can be shocking!

Just a thought, if you found a color you like, maybe there is a color fairly close at your local Pep Boys for a car your painter could match. Then if you have to make a few touch ups, or paint a mirror cover it would be a simple fix and not cost a bundle.
Just a thought. Ron

I understand the issue of not using a standard ST color but its been a non standard color for the past seven years and its never been an issue. Besides after a couple years I dont feel a new part will match the faded paint of a ridden sun exposed motorcycle. :confused:

Sorry BakerBoy green's not going to happen:eek:

Absolutely your call, Jeff as it's your bike. Paint fade isn't as big a factor as it used to be and some colors are much less affected.

There's little value in being a cheering section as you have determined to re-paint which only leaves those of us hoping to contribute the options of suggesting colors, although you seem to be very closed minded.... Brit racing green would be an excellent choice for someone else's bike ;)

I've experienced the problems in matching a non-standard color on various vehicles with much time in attempting paint scans to varying degrees of success, leafing through chip books and so on. It was my intent to ensure that anyone contemplating had taken the whole picture into account.

FWIW, my son dropped WhitSTler about 6 months ago and compared the cost of repairing and having a friend re-paint the mirror cover but it was still less expensive to simply buy a police white one off the shelf.

Looking forward to seeing photos when it is done. Are you re-doing the grey plastic also to clean things up? When did the black to white, the grey was also done which adds very materially to the cost. Count up all the pieces. The 1100 has around 30.grey and colored. Gasp! All must be prepped, primed, painted, clear coated...etc.

I like the Gold Wing yellow as it stands out against a back ground. Being more visible was a high priority in my choice of color. I will caution that white is not a fast color as people typically assume police and slow to under the posted. ;)

Enjoying the thread!

Norm

I understand the issue of not using a standard ST color but its been a non standard color for the past seven years and its never been an issue. Besides after a couple years I dont feel a new part will match the faded paint of a ridden sun exposed motorcycle. :confused:

There are literally thousands of "standard" colors to choose from for cages, which aren't an ST color- so still unique for an ST. Mild to wild, anything you want...the benefit, as was pointed out, is that its easy to get touch up mixed if you ever need it. Someone scuff a pannier? Easy to repaint just the case. "Standard" automotive colors are as simple as the store punching a code into the computer and you get an exact match.

By going truly "custom", you will be handed the code, and you better not lose it. Its YOUR code, nothing else. If you need a touchup, there is little chance the same shop will match it again exactly, let alone a different shop if they no longer exist.

Not telling you what to do...but if you spend some time with the paint code books at a body shop, or- better yet- see the exact color you want on a vehicle somewhere, get the info from it and have some mixed up.

There are literally thousands of "standard" colors to choose from for cages, which aren't an ST color- so still unique for an ST. Mild to wild, anything you want...the benefit, as was pointed out, is that its easy to get touch up mixed if you ever need it. Someone scuff a pannier? Easy to repaint just the case. "Standard" automotive colors are as simple as the store punching a code into the computer and you get an exact match.

By going truly "custom", you will be handed the code, and you better not lose it. Its YOUR code, nothing else. If you need a touchup, there is little chance the same shop will match it again exactly, let alone a different shop if they no longer exist.

Not telling you what to do...but if you spend some time with the paint code books at a body shop, or- better yet- see the exact color you want on a vehicle somewhere, get the info from it and have some mixed up.

I like the Gold Wing yellow as it stands out against a back ground. Being more visible was a high priority in my choice of color.

I should paint mine yellow...or at least a 2-tone using yellow with my black...to go with my 'Stich. But I still like black and red...hmmm...

What about completely Matt Black? Then get the aluminium main and sub frame, the wheels powder coated matt black too so the whole bike looks Stealth?

Visibility being part of risk factor riding.....this is a 'no brainer'..........for some anyway. Red being the worst refletivity(optometrist and insurance companies will verify that), after going down on my 92STealth(red) some four years ago avoiding a T-Bone on a 50mph four-lane, I chose white with a flash of red pearl. Reason being, I could see a white Wing oncoming from a good quarter mile away. It is now highly visible, even though some of those braking dips in the front from oncoming cages could be attributed to mistaking my bike with LEO bikes. Either way, makes no difference what the reason........it works!.......even on LD trips.

A few color options, not a perfect matching job but you get the idea

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    327.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 14
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    335.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    342.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    342.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Wahoo,:D its back together and thanks to Charles "chasjo" for helping with the re-assemble. The last parts went on Friday night just in time for the trip to Moonshine. The quality wasn't what I had hoped for considering the other painting and body work I have seen that this guy has done. I guess you get what you pay for is so true. I do like the color and its kind of like having a new bike. The black plastic had faded to a point of looking grey so I used carbon fiber looking vinyl wrap to cover the lower cowls and the black portion of the bags. Thanks to those who commented on the paint at Moonshine.

carbon fiber vinyl

on the way home from Moonshine

I think yellow is the best color! The Bee is painted Camaro Yellow (specifically 2011 Camaro Yellow). I like the Goldwing yellow, but you can save money (it is a Pearl Yellow), switching from pearl yellow to a gold flake. My paint job cost me about $1500, roughly $100 for each piece of tupperware.

Looks good on the 1300!

Back
Top Bottom