New Twist

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
So, I finally take the bike for a ride. After an hour I reach my destination and an hour later start back home. About 5 miles from home I decide to top off the tank. Then I get on the bike and ... the key won't turn in the ignition. Curious. Take it out, put it back - nope. Take it out, turn it around - nope. Push it down, jiggle it, etc. - nope. Nuts. I remove the key, look it over, seems normal - wait, it's bent slightly. Big idea. Put it back in the ignition half way, gently bend it back (think you know how this ends?), examine it, looks straight, put it back in and it works. Now this was a silly thing to to because I have a spare key on the bike anyway. Next day, get a new key made. Don't try this far from home.

John-

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
On my '05, I did do that at home...required a new gascap/key!

After that I had a number of spare keys made!

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Check the threads for key blanks. Curtis hd109 is one of them.
When you get new ones made chuck that old key and put the remaining oem key(s) in reserve for making more spares.

Did it get bent in the gas cap? The cap should twist closed by itself with a little pressure on the lid to seat it. If you need to turn the key to get it to close it's time for some gas lock/latch maintenance.

Bike
2005 ST1300
This is why I bought a keyless and unlockable gas cap. More convenient, less wear on the key. Looks better too. Great mod for me. YMMV.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Put it back in the ignition half way, gently bend it back (think you know how this ends?), examine it, looks straight, put it back in and it works.
Was this a factory key? They're quite a bit softer than steel copies.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Wow you sound like you avoided a big problem there. I have replaced all my original keys with after market one and have made the short ones with knobs for the saddle bags and glove box, I use the short glove box key to open my gas tank leaving the ignition one in place.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Wow you sound like you avoided a big problem there. I have replaced all my original keys with after market one and have made the short ones with knobs for the saddle bags and glove box, I use the short glove box key to open my gas tank leaving the ignition one in place.
#1 tp what he said. Been doing that for years.

JCB

Bike
2008 Goldwing
STOC #
Same thing here!!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
This is why I bought a keyless and unlockable gas cap. More convenient, less wear on the key. Looks better too. Great mod for me. YMMV.
Where did you get it? How much was it? Sounds like a great idea.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Where did you get it? How much was it? Sounds like a great idea.
I paid $56 including shipping. Bought the black one. Looks sharp. 10 minute install. I painted the stock bolts black.

St1300 is not listed but it fit.

Note that the 3 bolts on our ST's are functional. The rest are decorative. So you only need the 3.

Shuey turned me on to it.Thanks again Shuey.

I have had it for about a year I think. No more fumbling with the key or worrying about it breaking, and I can open it with my gloves on.

High quality part too.

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/honda-cnc-racing-gas-cap-p-15.html

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I paid $56 including shipping. Bought the black one. Looks sharp. 10 minute install. I painted the stock bolts black.

St1300 is not listed but it fit.

Note that the 3 bolts on our ST's are functional. The rest are decorative. So you only need the 3.

Shuey turned me on to it.Thanks again Shuey.

I have had it for about a year I think. No more fumbling with the key or worrying about it breaking, and I can open it with my gloves on.

High quality part too.

http://www.slingshotracing.net/catalog/honda-cnc-racing-gas-cap-p-15.html
Thanks for the link. I've contacted them to find out which one fits.

Quick story.... Many years ago, when i was in college, my roommate had a Suzi X6(?). I learned to ride on that bike and took my MC endorsement test on it. Anyway, one morning the bike refused to start. Rick noticed that there was more gas in the tank than there had been the night before. Since our apartment was next door to a bar, it wasn't too hard to figure out that the extra gas was not gas or alcohol - it had been processed through a human. I've always liked the idea of a locking gas cap. Well, at least I don't park my ST outside near bars at night......

Bike
2005 ST1300
Yes I guess there is a slight risk but I keep my bike in the garage and when I am traveling I keep it under a cover. If the villains go far enough to take the cover off the gas cap is probably the least of my worries.

I see people that leave helmets and gloves on their bikes all the time, I do occasionally as well. sometimes we just have to trust our fellow man.

OP
OP
Old Glory
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Sorry to take so long to answer the two questions posted.
Yes it was a factory key.
Did it get bent with the gas cap? Hadn't thought of that. I always just push the cap down and let it lock by itself. Perhaps I was too vigorous in opening the cap.

John-

Top Bottom