250K Miles Club

Bike
ST1300
Hello john we have never met, Terry(t-bone) here how many miles on which st and what were the repairs?

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
I can only hope mine lasts that long. That's quite an accomplishment and you have to be pretty dedicated to the bike to keep it going for that many miles.

Curt

ahunt

Alan Hunt
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Hi John,

However, my classic '91 SSMST1100 has the STeed Handle of Grey GhOOST, and it indeed will disappear in front of you as the silvers as everyone knows have always been the faSTeST of all the ST1100s. Right, Alan? Right, Chuck? Right, Jeff? :D

All in good fun,

John
Well John, truth be known...we just let you pass us because we don't want to be blinded by your "eye of God" in our rear views!:D

ahunt

Alan Hunt
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
That brings up an interesting point. OK maybe only interesting to me. Was that 250K miles on the original, unrebuilt engine?

gonzo
Actually around 296K now and the engine is stock except for an exhaust valve I had to replace due to a torn diaphragm on the #4 carb vacuum piston.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/517035136sQiKaK

So if you have a high mileage ST make sure you check those diaphragms!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Actually around 296K now and the engine is stock except for an exhaust valve I had to replace due to a torn diaphragm on the #4 carb vacuum piston.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/517035136sQiKaK

So if you have a high mileage ST make sure you check those diaphragms!
Oh great!.... you mean they won't last 200k!... what was Honda thinking.. geesh... they probably think we like not having to replace our final drives all the time too..

Oh well, guess this will need to be copied in the Known Issues section .. LOL :shock:

Let me know when you hit 300k Alan... come to think of it, you probably have since you last posted.

Bike
'93 ST1100
Congrats Alan on the fun you must be having!

What type of regular maintenance are you doing?
Diligent scheduled or neglectful?

Fuel octane, Oil and filter brands and type used would be of great help!

Thanks

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Well I have 390 original miles on my 07 ST13A, I wonder how old I will be before I hit 300,000.
Say you commuted 90mi/day, 5 days/wk, for a year, that would be 23,400 miles. 300,000 mi/23,400mi/yr would be 12.82 years.

Of course, that's assuming a lot. But it was for fun to see how relatively fast someone could rack up 300K miles, not including weekend miles! :D

(FYI, 90mi/dy :bow1: commuting was someone's post I saw somewhere on the site.)

ahunt

Alan Hunt
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Congrats Alan on the fun you must be having!

What type of regular maintenance are you doing?
Diligent scheduled or neglectful?

Fuel octane, Oil and filter brands and type used would be of great help!

Thanks
Most of my miles now (60 m/day) are from commuting due to my new baby girl but it is fun, usually. Most people at work don't even know I have a car.

As far as maintenance I do all of it and roughly follow most of the important scheduled items but I'm not anal about doing everything the books says. Regular gas (Chevron), Mobile 1 every 8-10K, K&N air filter, various oil filter brands, coolant/brake fluid flush every year, fork oil 1-2 times a year. Nothing special required...its a Honda!

Probably too late to tell you that many think a K&N airfilter means you will not make 500,000 miles :) And other service items are either too often or not often enough lol!

The way the ST11 is built I don't think 250,000miles is out of the question. Most riders don't keep bikes very long and accidents intervene. All the other long term owners I have come across tend to do the same things, do what is important and don't fret about most things too much.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS
As far as maintenance I do all of it and roughly follow most of the important scheduled items but I'm not anal about doing everything the books says. Regular gas (Chevron), Mobile 1 every 8-10K, K&N air filter, various oil filter brands, coolant/brake fluid flush every year, fork oil 1-2 times a year. Nothing special required...its a Honda!
Coolant Brake Flush Every Year???

FORK OIL CHANGE 2 TIMES A YEAR?!?!?!?

NO WONDER,,, I crashed twice within 21 months of each other!!! :crackup

Last edited:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Most of my miles now (60 m/day) are from commuting due to my new baby girl but it is fun, usually. Most people at work don't even know I have a car.

Alan, what is your oil consumption like at that mileage?

Wow. I drive only 5000 miles a year in my pickup since closing my office and starting to work from home. The bike is part work/deliveries and for weekends.
When is the next Southeast STOC meeting? I need to pack on some mileage. :D

ahunt

Alan Hunt
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Alan, what is your oil consumption like at that mileage?
I don't really know...because I have an oil leak. :eek: Don't get excited everybody, it was my fault. When I had the head off repairing the valve I must have damaged the seal just inboard of the reduction gear (or put them in backwards) anyway their is a small drain hole between the seal and the case and that is where its coming from. The oil eventually finds it's way back and down and drips on the exhaust. I remember you mentioned you saw a little smoke when we where on the desert ride, maybe that was it. I've been putting off the fix because its such a pain and I don't like to interrupt my riding. I know, poor excuse.

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
I don't really know...because I have an oil leak. :eek: Don't get excited everybody, it was my fault. When I had the head off repairing the valve I must have damaged the seal just inboard of the reduction gear (or put them in backwards) anyway their is a small drain hole between the seal and the case and that is where its coming from. The oil eventually finds it's way back and down and drips on the exhaust. I remember you mentioned you saw a little smoke when we where on the desert ride, maybe that was it. I've been putting off the fix because its such a pain and I don't like to interrupt my riding. I know, poor excuse.
:grin: Try using a little Pratleys Steel on the hole? It might just save you the riding time cause I'm comming after you. Just got to my 1st 50,000miles in 2 years. So watch out! (ha-ha)..nice one.:capwin: :capwin: :capwin::wave1:

Bike
1998 Honda ST1100
STOC #
My 1998 ST11oo turned over to 400,000 kms on the weekend.

400,000 kms is about 248,500 miles.

Engine has not been rebuilt. In the last 12 months, I have refreshed the bearings in the rear-end, replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch (removed original clutch plates!), rebuilt clutch master cylinder, replaced clutch slave cylinder, new fork sliders, rebuilt Progressive shock, replaced u-joint (just because I had the swingarm off), replaced original alternator brushes.

Scoot is my daily driver and should get me through our third Iron Butt Rally together.

crazykz

R.I.P. - 2012/06/16
Rest In Peace
Bike
2007 ST1300A
STOC #
My 1998 ST11oo turned over to 400,000 kms on the weekend.

400,000 kms is about 248,500 miles.

Engine has not been rebuilt. In the last 12 months, I have refreshed the bearings in the rear-end, replaced the timing belt, water pump, clutch (removed original clutch plates!), rebuilt clutch master cylinder, replaced clutch slave cylinder, new fork sliders, rebuilt Progressive shock, replaced u-joint (just because I had the swingarm off), replaced original alternator brushes.

Scoot is my daily driver and should get me through our third Iron Butt Rally together.
Way to go Thane. Man, what a bike. Maybe we'll see you at the Chicago Checkpoint. :)

Curt

Top Bottom