Custom pipes fitted on my ST13

Hi guys,

Just wanted to share, my custom pipe project is done.

I bought a pair of used stock VTR1000 cans and had them fitted to the ST at a local muffler shop.

The stock VTR cans were a bit too quiet for my taste, never the less a nice improvement over the stock cans of the ST, added a quiet yet deep bass to the sound.

Next I performed the bafflectomy procedure outlined on the superhawk forum:

http://www.superhawkforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3874

That made the sound fantastic, amazing, deep v4 rumble :)
but just a tad loud for my taste, so back to the muffler shop and had a pair of baffles made which I will install this weekend. There is no audible decel pop even without the baffles, no repacking, these are stainless steel pipes, fit and quality is Honda .... need I say more

With the baffles it should be perfect !

Some pics will follow

Now for the pricing .

Pipes + shiping from the US to Canada $114 CDN
pipe instalaltion, mandrel bending, welding, making the baffles: $300 CDN.

This $300 includes the second trip to the shop where I had the right muffler almost completly redone so the pipes would be fitted perfectly simmetrical on both sides. The first time around I only left the stock pipes and the VTR cans at the shop, the bike was not there so the right pipe ended up sticking out about an inch too long and slightly to the side, had they had the bike the first time the fit would have been perfect and I would not have needed the second trip (-$100)

I belive this is a very viable alternative to the 2bros or Staintunes, once I got the pictures up, you be the judge.

Henrik

Last edited:
Being in Canada, we in the lower 48 may never get the privilege to hear this ST-VTR. It appears the stock cans were sacrificed for this project, in order to retain the pipe bend and connector junction? $300 CAD = $270 US according to an On-Line conversion. Very clean looking job.

:04biker: :)

No stock cans were harmed in the process, the connector pipe was mandrel bent and welded to the VTR cans.

One of the reasons why I chose the VTR cans for the project is because they are almost identical in length to the stock ST pipes, they also look nice imho, not to mention the sound :)

A lot of R&D work is put into an exhaust system.... You can't just slap parts together and expect it to work well. It may look and sound better, but there's no way it can perform as well as a system designed for the bike.

I agree, but with all the sensors etc, the fuel management system should be able to adjust for optimum engine function. Changing the intake/exhaust pressures DOES upset an engine and why I stick to stock air filter, but again, the FMS should adjust. I would suggest monitoring the spark plug appearances with an aftermarket can on the bike. But if I need something different, I'll swap to a DUC ST3, thank you. Glad you did not have to harm the stock system, Henrik. I do like it.

:04biker: :)

Last edited:
To be honest with you, I was not looking for more performance, just better sound and different looks - which is what most are after I think when they put a aftermarket exhaust on the St. Aside of that, there is no "seat of the pants" performance change detectable on the bike's performance, it feels it breaths a little easier. Fuel consumption seems to be the same, maybe a tad better even. I retained the stock air filter too.

It makes the bike more personal to me, and gives me the satiscation that I was able to do it :) I also figured, folks who wanted something similar but did not want to shell out $8-900 US for the Staintunes would have another alternative.

Henrik

Perhaps it's just me, or the photos, but they look to be wider spaced than the stock pipes and like they will ground long before the stock pipes. There's a reason the stock pipes are triangular. Have you noticed any grounding? It looks like a great piece of engineering by the way.

Regards,

Dave,

The most I have dragged so far were the pegs (which accoring to those who have done it is followed by the center stand and finally the lower cowling) so no problems with clearance so far. I think the bottom of these pipes is higher then the tunes, which are oval.

No ground clearance issues thus far.

Henrik

A lot of R&D work is put into an exhaust system.... You can't just slap parts together and expect it to work well. It may look and sound better, but there's no way it can perform as well as a system designed for the bike.

The thought of changing anything concerning fuel, air, exhaust, without a base and follow up dyno run scares me to death. I'm just not gonna feel comfortable "Hoping" everything is gonna be alright. :coffee1:

Perhaps it's just me, or the photos, but they look to be wider spaced than the stock pipes and like they will ground long before the stock pipes. There's a reason the stock pipes are triangular. Have you noticed any grounding? It looks like a great piece of engineering by the way.

Regards,
Other hard bits will touch down long before the stock pipes though...

As an ex-VTR owner :(, I know the sound, and it is good :). This custom job does look good.
Some questions tho; the mufflers aren't hung from brackets? And are they still clamped on? I can't see below the bike where the clamps are. If not, access to the rear tire will be a PITA.

Still... I do like the look... any chance you can get a sound bite from them?

Thanks,

Tom de

Tom,

The pipes are hung exactly like the stock ones, The VTR pipes have 2 hangers as well which I kept and had it repositioned to fit the mounting holes on the ST.

I will check if my digital camara can record sound.

Henrik

:scared2: I don't wanna be picky but................the right one is lower than the left one................... :shrug2: :coffee1:

Just like my nuts :)

Seriously though, it's possible, it does not look that way to me when looking at the bike though, at least not to the degree that it would catch my eye.

Henrik

Just like my nuts :)

Seriously though, it's possible, it does not look that way to me when looking at the bike though, at least not to the degree that it would catch my eye.

Henrik

Sorry about your uneven nuts man..............:crackup ...... :beer3:

I agree - Staintunes too expensive
Two Brothers too loud and expensive

I fitted cans from a Ducati 998
$60 Ebay including shipping
$60+ supplies
Lots of TIG welding and polishing
Cored out with conventional muffler packing
Quieter than Two Brothers
MUCH cooler than stock
Always wanted a Ducati...

Attachments

• st13 duc 6.JPG
    st13 duc 6.JPG
    866 KB · Views: 78
That is one nice clean job, like it a lot !

I think the aftermarket pipe prices are calculated considering the value of a new bike, not on what they are actually worth plus a decent profit.

How the hell can a pipe cost $8-900 ? Even with the R&D costs, come on !

Back
Top Bottom