Taking the Trace East

Bike
ST1100
STOC #
All:

A ride report I started submitting a few months back but never finished. Caveat: I write mostly for my own journals, so excuse the prose...

Enjoy!

It Begins.

As with anyone who has seen the same thing for too long, I was desperate to see something - anything - new. Escaping Texas, then, was less an exercise in ride mechanics and more an exercise in sanity retention. My trip prep was laced with the anticipation of new sights, smells and roads. Well, maybe not TOTALLY new, but at least far enough back in the memory banks as to be CONSIDERED new, and that?s all that matters at my age. As I added a new PowerLet bundle to the tankbag, checked tires and oil and bulbs, did all the clucking and preening one does before setting out, the still-widening grin was hard to miss. Even my wife, ever-sensitized to my pre-ride musings, said aloud: "Honey, you're smiling that smile."

Indeed I was.

Framing argument: I do appreciate the many good things about Texas. The food is good, the gas is pretty cheap and there are delicious quantities of roads, many of them wonderfully unpatrolled and uncaged. The people are delightful and the near absence of winter means riding season lasts for about 363 days. That said, the majority of the roads near me (read: Dallas/Fort Worth) are depressingly straight and, frankly, boring. The same kind of boring that spaghetti is to the pasta family. Spaghetti is palatable and a very fine meal, but from an entertainment value, it can't hold a candle to corkscrew or bowtie pasta. Yeah, yeah, some will protest, and I thoroughly acknowledge the presence of the Hill Country and Big Bend. Those two don't really do it for me: I'm not a big fan of dead and dry, and the Hill Country is, by comparison to my favored roads, depressingly flat and not far enough away to feel like a real trip. Like politics and religion, this discussion has proponents on both sides that are willing and able to beat their drums loudly and longly to little effect; we rarely cross the divide between us. So with a tip of the cap to the Austinians and Big Bendians, I reserve my most lascivious of riding grins for that which exists outside This Great State. That's why I go elsewhere for fave rides, and that's why I did the unthinkable and logged my escape from Texas on the Interstate. I'll confess I didn't leave Slab until just outside of Jackson, MS, giving my ST1100 easy rein, letting her set her own pace (thankfully quick!). And because this is my trip report, I'll mention nothing of that portion of the ride but to say this - "Gas was cheap," and "The exit to the Natchez Trace was clearly marked." I ate a small portion of spaghetti with the anticipation of better pastas yet to come. But the diva of this show WAS and IS the Natchez Trace, and I would be remiss if I let the spotlight stray terribly far from her.

Aside...

I won't delve into the history behind the Natchez Trace - each of you has access to the Web and Libraries and you can, at your leisure, consult those sources. I will say the Department of the Interior does a lovely job maintaining the Trace and this southern jewel deserves a spot on your ?Must Ride One Day? list. Imperative in your trip prep is to pick up the Trace Guide, a freebie flyer provided at various stops along the way, authored by the Government no less, which outlines to the tenth of a mile EVERY historical, cultural and natural landmark along the way. Oh, and there are obvious wooden mile markers every mile along the way, so with all due respect to the fine folks at Garmin, even garden-variety navigators can't get too lost. Dreamy!

I timed this ride just as a hurricane came ashore and slowly dumped it's guts over the southern United States. Many things in my life have occurred under less than optimal circumstances, and this was no exception. In a true "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all" moment, I traveled under the same cloud from Dallas to Somewhere in Central Tennessee, the rain wavering between sporadic to torrential EVERY moment of the trip. Rain, despite its wetness, is not all bad, though. Rain drives tourists and the similarly meek indoors. To wit, there were several spans while riding the Trace when I went 30 minutes or more without seeing another vehicle. Rain also mutes sounds to a dampened hush and deepens colors to lush saturations. Couple the beauty of the Trace with the solitude of traveling it unconcerned about traffic and you get a trip of truly memorable proportions.

Back to the ride...

Taking that clearly marked exit to the Trace from I-20 East places you on mile 87 of the Trace (The Trace itself begins in Natchez, MS, a town that was not on my ride route). Winding north of Jackson, MS, the Trace hugs the coast of Ross Barnett reservoir, giving you occasional glimpses of bogs and swampy areas that must've been enormous obstacles to the original Trace travelers, but are only objects of passing interest to modern day voyagers. Leaving the lake, you begin winding through rolling Mississippi hills and woods that will be your companions for the balance of the day. Late in October, after an unusually dry summer, the colors in Mississippi were almost absent. Various greens were only occasionally broken by a flare of yellow or orange; thankfully, the further north I ventured, the more regular the color became.

Turnouts and points of interest are almost too numerous to mention; truthfully, if you turnout at every opportunity, you might never make it to the northern end of it all. Must-sees include Busby Park, featuring a dramatic ascent several hundred feet to an overlook giving you wonderful views to the East and West. Common sides refer to the "Old Trace," vestiges of the original path settlers, Indians and trappers followed and which the Trace loosely follows. The Old Trace is nothing more than a path, really, tunneling into the woods here and there. At some point, to frame your ride in perspective of the times, you need to dismount and walk a few yards on a segment of the Old Trace. Invariably, you'll descend or turn, leaving all evidence of the modern world behind. For a moment, you'll be surrounded by trees, swallowed by them. You?ll hear only the hush of a breeze in the leaves and snap of twigs underfoot. The Trace consumes you, absorbs you into Itself, and transports you back in time. You'll find yourself imagining walking the Trace as they did years ago. Was the chill you just felt due to the uncertainty of the path ahead, or just the shudder of an autumn breeze? Is it really 2006 or the mid 1850s? So very few places remain in America like that.

The Trace itself may be the ideal ride for the casual vacationer. Much has been said and written about speed limit. While we as a group are probably more happy the further the needle climbs on the dial, I found 50mph to be almost the perfect pace for this stretch of the road. That said, the Trace is neither technically challenging, nor appreciably strenuous to man or machine. At this pace, wind noise abates enough that, behind the screen, you can actually HEAR what you?re passing. In Mississippi, the Trace winds in and out of the terrain gently and leisurely. I'm sure the crotch rocket ilk would whine about the pedestrian pace, but that comfy 2500rpm-in-fourth-gear allows you to notice what you're passing and prevents the panic-brake-what-did-I-just-miss reaction when you spot a tasty turnout. Sight lines are impeccable - there are no shoulders to speak of, but the grounds are cleared 50 feet on either side of the pavement. Such wide easements give you confidence in an out of turns, and provide you excellent opportunities to spot wildlife. Oh, and you'll spot PLENTY of wildlife. It seemed every other turn, I rounded a bend to face wild turkey, deer, geese, you name it. On one turn, I faced off with a young buck 'stalking' two young does. I pulled over and killed the engine to preserve the silence and was rewarded with a turf battle; the buck stomped the ground noisily, snorting and posturing until, overcome by instinct, he and his girls bolted for the safety of the trees. Catch you later, Bambi! Not ten miles later, I pulled over to "join" a family of deer (a mother and three fawns) as they grazed. Mother was skittish enough to dart for the trees, but the youngsters were bold enough to stick around for a few minutes, noses decoding the smells this oddly shaped creature put forth. With nothing more than nervous wiggles of rumps, they casually and slowly followed each other to the trees, making me wonder if they were afraid or simply bored.

Honestly, this may be the most perfect asphalt bed you've ever driven. No bumps, no potholes, no heaves, no surprises. My suspension may not have traveled more than 1/4" while on the Trace, the roads were THAT good. This perfection enables you to settle into a riding rhythm, gentling leaning to and fro as needed, steering the bike with nothing more dramatic than a bending your elbow at times. Meticulously swept of leaves (there weren't even piles on the sides of the road!), it borders on road Nirvana, and you'll be reminded how Nirvana-esque when you leave the Trace for gas, food, or for one of those little side roads where the Parks Department doesn't cover. The Trace represents the best of relaxed riding and I can truly say I've never ridden a road that combined the beauty and ease of this stretch.

Speaking of relaxed, the ST1100 gave nary a whimper, content to idle along in 4th, the familiar cam whine rising and falling gently in response to terrain and turns. Having filled in Jackson, glances to the fuel meter revealed I was using no fuel whatsoever (Note: a lie!) as the needle refused to separate from the ?F? for nearly 3 hours. The Battlaxes beneath me, eager to sprint, reported that I was loafing, and had I a Chief Engineer manning the engine room, he?d have said in his thickest brogue, ?Cap?n? I can give you MUCH more than that. Really!? I?d have ignored him, too. Comfortable in my foul weather gear, with the taptaptap of the rain?s steady cadence on my well-worn Arai, I drank it in, cracking the visor to smell as much as I saw of this road.

The Mississippi Trace - all nine hours of riding, stopping and such - was as relaxing as a favorite pair of jeans. The scenery was calming and soothing, much like the graceful bow of leaf-laden trees in the heavy evening air. Darkness began to fall along this segment of Mississippi Trace and the Garmin Nuvi pointed me faithfully to the nearest lodging (note: not within 15 miles of the Trace). The PIAAs began revealing all manner of observing eyeballs just off the road in the gloaming, an audience of creatures investigating who was transiting their territory, judging me in much the same way I was judging them. I spanned the Tennessee River over a bridge a full mile long precisely as fog closed in. For an eerie 20 seconds, as the light faded, I was swallowed by the gray velvet, the road disappearing for and aft, nothing visible to right or left. My headlights illuminating only more gray... creepy! ?Surviving? that, I subtly invaded the Volunteer State from the south and angled for my stop for the night. A hot shower and a meal later, I relaxed quietly in the anticipation of Alabama and Tennessee ahead of me....

...to be continued

OP
OP
Bike
ST1100
STOC #
Taking the Trace East (Part II)

?Hey Porter, Hey Porter, please get my bags for me/I need nobody to tell me now that we?re in Tennessee,? Johnny Cash once sang in his throaty drawl. True to the word, I didn?t need a warning, either, as being in Tennessee is, well, OBVIOUS. At least on the Natchez Trace, it is. Just about at the state line, the Trace evolves from a lazy meander to a spry dodge-and-parry type of drive.

All that and I nearly missed it all; I got a wee-hour call from back home regarding an illness of a good friend. Up 4 hours before my wake up time, I quickly packed my gear and shuffled into the dark, grateful to the desk clerk who let me chain my ST under the port-a-cache to avoid the most of the ongoing torrential overnight rain. The engine barked to life with a single stab of the button and settled into a lopey idle as I suited up and packed my gear against the wet. I set the GPS to Nashville Airport and Garmin dutifully took me to I-65 N and up. In a night deluge of book-of-Genesis proportions, I sprinted north, quietly thanking my rain gear for keeping me dry and my Bridgestones for keeping me upright. I stopped for gas and to check my message just west of the airport to learn my friend?s medical condition had improved dramatically - Cancel Red Alert and Stand Down from Condition Zed. Relief was compounded by the welcome realization I was STILL on vacation! Forty five minutes and some mind-numbing traffic later, I had redirected completely, parked at the north end of the famous double-arched bridge near Franklin to take in the view, desperate to ?reclaim? my trip. With fingers of blue now edging overhead and the pavement drying, I stowed my foul weather gear and returned to riding-for-fun mode. A gentle stab of the spurs and the ST responded eagerly, nosing south and over the bridge.

The Natchez Trace Parkway Bridge deck is more than 100 feet above the valley below giving me achingly wonderful views of fall foliage in various states of display. It also drops the flag on some deliciously fun roads, roads that put the Mississippi Trace to shame. You can still motor along at 45-50mph with no problem, but the riding is more active. You leave cruise mode and begin dogfighting with the terrain, diving and climbing, sweeping and banking, blissfully aware of the color collage around you and the olfactory assault creeping around your face shield as autumn jabs and punches you. Whereas Mississippi was a ride through the forest, Tennessee is skipping from hilltop to hilltop, following valleys, hugging the terrain. My pace was sporadic as I tucked into every scenic spot to take a look. Easily my favorite turnout was a history lesson, the resting place of one Meriwether Lewis. He and his buddy William Clark blazed a trail westward to the Pacific, yet here he lay, nestled in the anonymous foothills of south central Tennessee. Under a morning sun peeping through the clouds, I finished a history lesson begun 30+ years before.

Having ?completed? the Natchez Trace a few miles later and wanting to avoid freeways at all costs, I picked an eastbound state road and leaned on it. I quickly realized how spoiled I had been on The Trace; Big Black communicated the alarmingly poor state of the back roads directly through my Corbin and I found myself actively dodging road repairs. That gripe aside, the quaint countriness of this part of Tennessee has always made me smile. The people extend warmth in waves and tips-of-the-hat. They yield at stop signs, and they edge to the side of the road so you can pass on the straights. You never know what you?ll find out there until you crest the next rise. The next rise for me happened to be Lynchburg, Tennessee. Coincidentally, I was really hungry, too.

Scouts? honor, I didn?t remember Jack Daniels? distilleries are headquartered in this off-the-beaten-path town. Nor did I know the umpteenth annual Jack Daniels? BBQ and Cookoff competition was in full swing and the parade was getting ready to start. But as luck would have it, I was drawn into this homely town square with almost clinical timing. Parking the bike and stripping off jacket and helmet, I was rewarded with the waft of cooking meats and greeted with the sound of a slowly approaching marching band. To the east, I could see the roof line of the distillery and up the hill behind the square sat a beautiful southern mansion almost suspended in space. Below, a building crowd of revelers milled about loudly, celebrating among other things, well cooked meat. My kind of gathering!

Welcome to Lynchburg, TN!

I managed to blend into the crowd just in time to have the local high school marching band blare by, followed by an international menagerie of BBQ chefs in full celebration mode. They tossed candy, trinkets, wet naps (wet naps!) and various bits to the crowd while carousing in their own sauce-soaked bliss. Caught up in the tidal flow of humanity, I was pressed into the BBQ Caboose Cafe for what would probably be called in the local vernacular ?a mess of good food.? I sat at a long table with people I had never met and will likely never see again, swapping condiments, huge jugs of sweet tea (there is no other kind in Tennessee), sharing in the reverie. We were probably less than a mile from hundreds of thousands of gallons of Tennessee?s finest whiskey, yet because Lynchburg is in a dry county, there was no liquor at the table. The irony was probably as thick as the BBQ sauce drenching everything in sight. At one point, one of the gentlemen at the table asked me politely, ?Who are you?? I confessed to being a transient and to having been caught up in the crowd. He gave me a toothy grin and bellowed in thrumming basso drawl, ?you picked a good day to come here, I guess.? With that, I was initiated into the group.

Where else but Little Town, USA?

The sun was clearly edging toward the western hills and I needed to get beyond Chattanooga before bedding down and succumbing to my building tryptophan coma, so I bid farewell to new friends, jotting a mental note to come back to this little corner of the world. Regearing in the twilight, I noticed steam gently rising from distillery stacks and the mansion-on-the-hill lit up, seeming to float above the town. Quietly memorable. I headed for the Interstate, willing myself up and down the Monteagle Hill and through Chattanooga to the waiting guest bedroom. No better way to wind down a great day of riding than seeing long-missed family. Winding through the last mile of horse farms and estates, I aimed my PIAAs up the familiar drive, nosing the ST1100 into the garage bay left open for me and killed the engine. I slumped forward in the dark for a couple of moments until a door opened spilling soft light across me. A familiar voice called out, ?Welcome home, stranger.?

To be continued...

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Great write up. I rode the Mississippi part of the Trace from North to South back in April. Nice ride. Would have preferred a bit more curves but the speed was fine. My buddy and I were coming back from the Barber Museum in Alabama. I whole heartily agree with your assessment of the riding in Texas. I will normally head west to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado when I need to take a ride such as yours. (see web shots) Make sure you attend TexSToc this year. It is going to be in Clarksville Arkansas. Great riding up there.

Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Great report. As a Mississippi native, now living in northern California, your report brings back fond memories. The Natchez Trace truly represents some of the nicest, most relaxing scenery in the Deep South. Nothing like the twisties and awesome scenery of the Sierras here in my adopted home, but the Trace is very soothing to the soul. Unfortunately, like Sammy Hagar, I just can't drive 55, and you will get a speeding ticket from an agent of the US Park Service for being casual about obedience to speed limits in the Parkway.

Thanks for the memories, though.

SuperDave

Top Bottom