What's in your tool kit?

Since the Honda tool kits seem pretty low quality, I think I'll just assemble my own. What should I absolutely carry?

I have an '03 with the 'full' Honda tool kit. :tools1:
In addition I carry:
Stubby metric wrenches - 8, 10, 12, 14, 17mm
5mm T handle allen wrench
Adjustable 6" crescent wrench
Small vice grips
Stubby screwdriver with interchangeable bits
Electrical tape
Thin flat blade screwdriver (for adjusting rear shock damping)
Small LED flashlight (because I ride in the dark quite a bit)
I stash it all in different places to keep the weight even, I didn't want to end up riding on one butt cheek all the time!

Also have a small 12v compressor, puncture kit and a digital tire gauge that fit in the left pocket.
I guess I work on the theory that if you have all the stuff you'll never need to use it - although I'm sure there are other guys who carry a lot more than I do!

Tony

Couldn't you just substitute the compressor and puncture kit for a can of Fix-a-Flat?

Also, would you mind listing the contents of the standard Honda kit? My 2004 is missing the kit.

This isn't exactly a travel kit, but it's a good tool list for the 1300. I found it here or somewhere else on the web. Thanks to the author!

Honda ST1300 Tool Kit

With these tools you will be able to: Remove both wheels, remove all the plastic, check under the tank cover, replace the fuel filter, change out the battery, repair a flat, change oil, adjust anything adjustable, replace brakes pad?s, tighten almost anything on the bike, replace the front forks?.etc?.

Screw driver?s;
Phillips #2 bit (magnetized) (2) 1-small, one larger.
The shaft should fit in the small hole?s in the front axle.
Flat blade #2
Wrenches: (open/box end)
6mm ? Can be used on a #6 Allen wrench for extra leverage.
8mm
10mm - (2)
12mm ? Right rear exhaust pipe.
14mm ? Rear brake
17mm ? Oil drain plug. (oil filter remover for long trips)
Sockets:
3/8 ratchet
3? extension (2)
Drive reducer 1/2? to 3/8? drive, and 3/8? drive to 1/4?
6mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm, 14mm ? rear brake, 22mm ? front axle (1/2 drive), 27mm rear axle (1/2 drive)
Spark plug socket ? need to make sure it fit?s the hole ? standard Honda unit
works well.
6mm (front axle, brakes, all plastic), Allen wrench socket (nice to have)
Allen wrenches:
6mm, 7mm (rear axle)
Pliers;
Small needle nose, with a 45 degree bent tip ? great for removing/installing
the small plastic pins.
Standard pliers
Magnetic pickup (looks like a pen) that extends to about 16?.
Paint brush;
Short handle 1 ? - 2? wide paint brush. (Great for cleaning areas before getting dirt in your oil,
under the seat, gas tank, etc.)
Tire repair kit.
Flashlight
Tie?s, tape and some short wire.

"I am the proud owner of the full Honda tool kit supplied with my 2006: An allen wrench and the valuable supersonic foam pad."

+1

2007 model. Much newer wrench.

That's a great list but it left out the #5 allen wrench that you need to get the bolts off on the side covers.

I'm leaning more and more towards the minimal tool kit:
Ride-On in the tires, #5 allen wrench (to get to the battery when I forget and leave my key on), HRCA membership, cell phone. :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed lists. I prefer to have a minimal kit too, but I want at least enough tools to repair minor problems well enough to limp to the nearest service center. Anything more than that and I'm reaching for the cell phone too.

I'll do some shopping this weekend, and post my results.

That's a great list but it left out the #5 allen wrench that you need to get the bolts off on the side covers.

I'm leaning more and more towards the minimal tool kit:
Ride-On in the tires, #5 allen wrench (to get to the battery when I forget and leave my key on), HRCA membership, cell phone. :D

You forgot "Credit Card with large (empty) credit limit"... :D

Mark

I have 2 versions; the always kit and an extended travel tool kit.

• The always kit is similar to Essteeguy's, and
  • the extended travel adds stuff to become like E the B's

Regards,

-Geo

Couldn't you just substitute the compressor and puncture kit for a can of Fix-a-Flat?

Also, would you mind listing the contents of the standard Honda kit? My 2004 is missing the kit.

Emphatic _NO!_

_If_ fix-a-flat don't work, you've also eliminated most of the other options as the fix-a-flat makes thing slick as much as it makes things sticky. You'll toss plugs, keep patches from sticking, and generally make a mess inside the rim.

My recommendation:
1. Sticky worms and a compressor (works _way_ more often than not, though I've seen two failures this year. Fix-a-flat would not have worked in either case.)
2. Internal patch (would have worked [did work on my tire] with either failure, above.)
3. New tire. I generally carry a spare if I think the tread is gonna fail. I've used'em, too. Carry the RAN list from this forum. Many folks show spare and/or used tires available all over the country.
4. Honda Riders Club road service (or similar service of your choice.) I'd use the RAN list first but HRCA is my choice of last resort.

BTW RAN update: I have _2_ spare rear tires, 1 each ST and GL sizes. Both are plugged/patched but both hold air and have tread remaining. Call me if ya need help in the S.W.

My opinion,

Last edited:
For my 2006, about the same as has been stated, an Allen wrench, a piece of foam, a Swiss Army knife, my wireless phone, and my HCRA membership card.

Also, I make sure my wife Sue has on a good pair of walking shoes. ;)

You forgot "Credit Card with large (empty) credit limit"... :D

Mark

I'm leaning toward Mark's view: HRCA and Credit Cards can fix a plethora of ills. OTOH, how much time do ya wanna waste? On my August trip, I changed both rear and front tires (2 different stops) with next-to-no help in the time it would'a took the truck to get there. Not to mention that it was a holiday weekend and all the shops were closed anyway. I would'a got home Thursday 'stead'a Tuesday if I had made those phone calls. Maybe!

A few hand tools and a McGiver mind can go a long way toward keeping the wheels rolling. 2 weeks ago, after Leaving Don's place (with a freshly patched rear tire) I remembered what we had forgotten, to tighten the muffler mount bolt on the left side after fixing that tire. I stopped just _before_ the whoop-de-does in N.W. Nevada to check it. Of course, the bolt and nut were long gone (hope nobody following ate that bolt! :eek:) Anyway, three plastic tie-wraps served fine 'til yesterday afternoon when I swung by my local True Value and picked up a replacement set.

Anyone else notice that the 8x1.5mm bolts at the hardware store all have 13mm heads 'stead'a 12? Oh, yeah, that's why I carry a 13mm box and socket. :D

In April, I lost a 12V pig-tail that fed my radio (vibration and dirt roads!) I managed to create a replacement (still in place as we speak) with a section of 16ga lamp cord and some crimp connectors from my store of spares.

On my way home (with fresh tires) on Labor Day weekend this year, I heard a _bad_ grinding noise in the front brakes when I coasted into a gas station in N.W. New Mexico. Ugh, worn front brake pads! I checked closely and found metal-to-metal on the left/front. About 10 minutes later I had usable (very used but pad material in place) pads installed. All it takes is the appropriate tools and _vast_ on the road experience. :D

2 years ago, I did a full caliper rebuild on both fronts in an abandoned gas station parking lot next door to a NAPA store in North (South?) Carolina. This took maybe 1.5 hours and a few bucks but sticky brake pistons are worse. I wasn't in any hurry, had many miles to travel, and good brakes feel better than hot/sticky ones.

Other tools? Multi-meter, a few feet of 14 and/or 16 ga wire, some crimp connectors, 12V soldering iron and solder, afore mentioned sticky plugs/tools and 12V compressor, assorted wrenches/sockets/ratchet/hex bits. Here's an electrical tip: big wire replace small wire just fine. Too much is better than too little. _And_ a double strand of too little acts exactly like the next size (2 16 = 1 14, etc.) I usually carry 16 ga. Keep in mind that it would take _4_ 16s = 1 12ga.

Also, i carry front wheel bearings. I've changed'em on the road _3_ times in the last 4 years.

And tar arns.

With a pair of spare tires, all the above weighs a lot less than a pillion passenger.

YMMV,

Last edited:
What's in my tool kit?

Well... I ride a 91 SSMST1100 with the OEM tool kit, AND a lot of other stuff, developed over the years (and STill being worked on):
http://rides.webshots.com/album/72367960pagYjg
If I owned a ST13 that came with just the single hex key, I'd look up the early models' tools in one of the on-line microfiches and order them. You never know when you might have to pull a rear wheel in the parking lot of a Harley boutique for a tire R&R. BTDT

Regards, John

Here is what is included in the '03 tool kit.

Tony

Attachments

• Tools1.PDF
    41.6 KB · Views: 97
  • Tools2.PDF
    13.3 KB · Views: 70
So now that we've determined what tools I should have IN the kit, what should I use FOR the kit? I'd like a sturdy bag that can fit under the rear seat, and hold about 20 tools.

Does anyone use a bag or case that they really like?

Top Bottom