Article [13] ST1300 - Modify your pocket lids for switch clearance

STOC #
I added this in an earlier reply but thought I would make it easier to find this way. Given the lack of space for switches, this worked pretty good. If you blow it, they're pretty cheap I think.

Remove the cover.
From the inside, I very carefully heated the lip area with a heat gun, directing the air flow into the forwardmost and inner corners. Watch the seal. I didn't!! Stay away from the outer corner as much as possible as you do not want it to change while re-shaping the lip. It takes a couple of minutes to reach the right temperature. Watch the lip and you will see it start to shrink a bit when it's time to shape. It does not to be molten, only rubbery. If the top gets too hot, the texture on the outside will change or the contour will change. If too cold, the desired shape is hard to make. Once it was hot enough, I placed the cover vertically on my workbench with the outer corner hanging off the edge. Then I pushed gently down, causing the lip to collapse inward. At the same time, I held the lip down to the bench so it did not roll under. As you can see, I did not adjust the entire front lip. Only 1/2 of it. It clears the switches by about
3/16" and looks good. Any minor deformation underneath is invisible on the outside. You can see how hot I had to get it by the small bubbles!! If it's not the way you want it, you can re-heat a bit but be careful as the top will start to get hot and prone to deformation.

Good luck and no fear!!! It's not brain surgery.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
Re: Modify your pocket lids for switch clearance

I almost hate to ask,, but couldn't you get lower profile knobs from an electronic supplier?

Bike
st1300
STOC #

Very clean. Nice work.

Did ya find the Clarence issues after the switches were mounted, creating the necessity to modify the lid? That's usually how I end up with those kinds of opportunity's to be creative.

OP
OP
Mikiver
STOC #

Papa, I probably could have but WTH.....Easy/to do!!!

Tom, thanks. I did in fact note somewhere in here that someone had clearance trouble with rocker switches. The lid rubbed and they just lived with it. I wanted my Heat-trollers there..and with clearance, so I came up with a solution.

STOC #

Mikiver I put my Heattroller in the same place and found on my recent trip that after a long wet day the Troller wasn't working properly. When I put it in the off position it would go to full on but I found that if I played with it turning it on and off I eventually got it off. I'm glad I noticed it because my fuse block wasn't working right at the time too and would sometimes stay on. I'm sure it would not have taken long for the hand grip heaters to kill the batt.

After a few days of relatively dry weather (notice I didn't say warm) it started working right again. I plan on contacting Mike at Warm and Safe to see if there is something I could put on the Troller to make it more water proof.

I like your install, it looks good!

PB

Top Bottom