My Manometer.

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
So, I've been putting off doing some basic maintenance ( plugs, wires, K&N cleaning, etc, etc. ). But mostly I've been putting off doing my "Starter Valve" mostly because I'm lazy and cheap.

But I figured I better get to it, 55k and my ST isn't as smooth feeling as she used to be. While looking up a place to get a manometer/carb sync tool, I came across a few DIY versions. Being cheap this interested me, and a really simple ( which made it even more interesting 'cause I'm lazy ) version is here. I figured "hey, them parts and pieces should be easy and cheap".

Well, the bottles and tubing were easy, but the stoppers were hard to get. Not at Home Depoit, Lowes, Wal-mart, or even Michael's ( a local craft store ). So off to the internet I go... google gets me to homesciencetools.com who have rubber stoppers. Oh and bonus! They have stoppers with pre-drilled holes, and they have bottles, and they tell you what stoppers fit with what bottles! WOW. Nice, esp. when you are lazy :D.

So I ordered :

• 2 Erlenmeyer flasks ( science bottles )
  • 3 #6 1/2 Rubber stoppers with 2-holes ( the rubber stoppers have number designations, it helps. And I get 3 just in case*. )
  • 3 #3 Rubber stoppers with 2-holes ( The #3's will fit other bottles, just in case*)
about $17 shipped - standard shipping was quick, 2 days.

I had already gotten the tubing from Home Depot - $5? I think.

Mistake #1:
So now I'm ready right? Well I'm lazy and while ordering the stoppers I do US to Metric in my head wrong - HELL I don't even get up off the couch to double check the size of the tubing. The 3/8" OD tubing isn't anywhere close to 5mm :D. ( Thinking back, I bet homesciencetools.com probably has tubing ) O.K., So I'll drill 'em out more - luckily I ordered extras - see, just in case*.

Mistake #2:
I didn't check anywhere ( service manual, internet, or just looking ST valve tubing ) for the size of the ST's Starter Valve tubing. Ugh, off to Advanced Auto Parts, to get 3/16 to 1/4 tubing adapters. Really no big deal tho.

Well, It was successful. Below is my manometer - I didn't think to take pictures until I was done... the camera was too far a way :D. ( it was just inside the garage door.

Tom de

*remember I'm lazy and I know it. so I order extra just in case I mess up, which is good cause I do mess up. :D

**Sorry about the big images, I was to lazy to reduce them, or change the camera to web sized pics.

OP
OP
tdeboeser

tdeboeser

that's not me!
STOC #
Not if you don't mind shuffling the hoses around a lot.

--Mark
Yeah, I thought I might have to "make" a 4 cylinder version. But further reading into the subject enlighted me ( and service manual says to do balance all cylinders from the #1 cylinder).

Plus, once all the body work and fuel tank are off the time to do the job isn't long at all. Even with doing one cylinder at a time.

tom de

Last edited:
Top Bottom