Linked brakes

I have LBS on my VFR and really enjoy it. It's comforting knowing that more contact patch is getting used regardless of which brake is applied. Half the time I just use the front brake lever, which activates one piston in the back too. Likewise the rear brake...the harder the front dives, the more the brake is applied.

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
I like it. The only time I would not want the front brake activated is in the dirt, not likely on a ST.

Bike
2005 ST1300
I think the LBS adds to the cost of the bike and makes bleeding the system more complex; not worth it.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
I don't like it. Grumpy old man rant on. f you can't ride a bike without linked brakes, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Grumpy old man rant off.

Critters

Retired Black Rat
Bike
Red 2003 ST1300
STOC #
Having ridden ST1100's with and without it, I like it, my work ST11 had it and when the bike was ridden very hard to catch the bad guys or go somewhere in an emergency, it was very comforting to know when pressure was applied to rear brake a percentage of pressure was applied to the front brake, IMO it steadied the bike under braking.

I only used the front brake when needing to bring the bike to a halt in a shorter distance, this showed up in the servicing when the rear pads were replaced more often than the front. As far as the bleeding was concerned, this was always carried out at the Honda shop, so I was not concerned about the complexities of bleeding the system.

My old 1997 ST1100 did not have linked brakes and I found that it was really easy to "lock" the rear wheel.

Given the choice I would go for a bike with linked brakes, but could use either, it all comes down to personal choices, if it wasn't a good idea, I am sure Mr Honda would have ditched the idea long ago.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Having ridden ST1100's with and without it, I like it, my work ST11 had it and when the bike was ridden very hard to catch the bad guys or go somewhere in an emergency, it was very comforting to know when pressure was applied to rear brake a percentage of pressure was applied to the front brake, IMO it steadied the bike under braking.

I only used the front brake when needing to bring the bike to a halt in a shorter distance, this showed up in the servicing when the rear pads were replaced more often than the front. As far as the bleeding was concerned, this was always carried out at the Honda shop, so I was not concerned about the complexities of bleeding the system.

My old 1997 ST1100 did not have linked brakes and I found that it was really easy to "lock" the rear wheel.

Given the choice I would go for a bike with linked brakes, but could use either, it all comes down to personal choices, if it wasn't a good idea, I am sure Mr Honda would have ditched the idea long ago.
Or other manufacturers would have adopted the idea for all their bikes.

KAJ

The Motorcycle Safety Foundation classes teach you to use both brakes in almost every situation. I have followed this practice without issue. Maybe for more advanced riders there are certain situations where this is not appropriate. But, for me, I use all the tools available.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I like it and bleeding is not really a problem. Use a pnumatic bleeder and it just takes a few minutes. We did it at our last Tech STOC in NJ with no problem at all!

I don't like it. Grumpy old man rant on. f you can't ride a bike without linked brakes, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Grumpy old man rant off.

Let me start by saying that I love my linked brakes and I am a very capable rider even if I didn't have them. But if you are going to start an rant like above why stop with linked brakes. Why not say if you need more than a rear mechanical drum brake, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Or why have a hydrolic clutch, the cables worked fine.

Why bring up riding ability when someone is asking "Anyone had any trouble with the brakes being linked?" Or when we are talking about personal preference. If you don't like them then just say you don't like them.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Let me start by saying that I love my linked brakes and I am a very capable rider even if I didn't have them. But if you are going to start an rant like above why stop with linked brakes. Why not say if you need more than a rear mechanical drum brake, then you probably shouldn't be riding. Or why have a hydrolic clutch, the cables worked fine.

Why bring up riding ability when someone is asking "Anyone had any trouble with the brakes being linked?" Or when we are talking about personal preference. If you don't like them then just say you don't like them.
Okay, but I like the hydraulic clutch.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
LBS is transparent to me and I never thought one way or the other about it. I primarily brake front only until the speed is close to zero when approaching a full stop - I bleed off the front brake and transition to the rear pedal. If braking into a corner the system is still transparent, you can trail brake under front lever alone deep if need be.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I have an ST1100 without LBS and my 05 ST1300. The ST1300 can out perform the ST1100 in almost any braking situation. It's not even close - I love LBS.

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway

+1 and while we're at it let's include automatic ignition advance, electric starters, pressurized oiling systems, automatic cold start enrichment, EFI, windscreens and farings on that list. Real riders don't need those either. :D

Bike
2007 ST1300abs
STOC #
I've got ST1100s with them (51,000+ miles) and one without (120,000+ miles). I'll take the linked brakes everytime! But now oil and tires, that's a whole 'nother thread .... :rolleyes:
UP. My bike doesn't work worth a damn without tires. Come to think of it the cars don't either. What's wrong??? I bet a problem without oil as well but I have not tried it.
I like the LBS and ABS but I'll admit I have little skill compared to the guys here on this site. The fluid draining is more involved than my old bike but that bike only had one line to the one front caliper.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
ABS I can get with--I wish my ST had them. Most of the time the linked brakes don't bother me, but when you are riding hard and scraping things its nice to be able to decide which brakes you are going to use and how much. I de-linked the brakes on the blackbird because I wanted total control of the braking action. I use the front brake to stop and the back brake to keep things going in a straight line.

What exactly is the purpose of linking the brakes? Isn't it to engage both brakes at the same time (in different porportions) to help you stop in a straight line? If you think about it, they can't help you stop quicker by themselves. After all they just divide braking action between the front and rear brake if the front or rear brake is used independently. The manual even says for for best braking action to use the front lever and rear pedal simultaneously. In that condition you are controlling how much braking action is happening, but to get full braking action on the front brake, you also have to engage the rear brake and vice versa so you still have to modulate both brakes to get maximum stopping power.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
I have no problem with them.It was a little disconcerting at first feeling the rear pedal drop some when applying the front btu overall they work as they are designed.

Count me as another old school rider enjoying all the tools available (both brakes all the time)

skyboybry

Hi-Hi!
Bike
Sparkles
STOC #
GT550: single front caliper, rear drum brake, kick & electric starter, 3 carbs, chain drive, 55 hp, cable clutch, rides like a bucket full of railroad spikes, face in the wind for every bug to enjoy, wiggles like a bowl of jello in turns.

ST1300: high tech brakes, electric start, digital EFI, shaft drive, 125 hp, hydraulic clutch, plush ride, slick electric screen, devours time & space like the starship Enterprise.

Night & day, but I love riding them both for different reasons. I wouldn't change anything about either of them.

sbB

Top Bottom