Comparison for Passenger

I've been going back and forth between the ST and FJR. What got me looking at the ST first is all of the magazine reviews that say passenger accommodations are better on the Honda. We're looking for something more comfortable for long trips, so this is definitely of interest.

But.... how different is it for the passenger between the two? Anyone have some opinions from their passenger?

Thanks.

nm6r

Blue is faster!!!
I can't speak for the FJR, but we always ride 2-up and now have over 82k miles on our 2004 ST. My wife had no problem with long days on the stock seat. I could do 400 miles on the stock seat but 500 and I almost couldn't walk. 900 miles is no problem for me with a Sargent seat and my wife noticed an improvement as well.

BTW, I didn't have the option of having Spencer modify my stock seat back then.

Ray

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Hello? Burger?

Burger? Are you listening?

Burger has owned both ST and FJR and I believe he uses the two-up option now and then.

Bike
sold dec 31 14
STOC #
I have ridden on the back of both and prefer the ST over the FJR. More room on the back of the Honda and better peg placement for me at 5'10". According to my wife the sargent seat on our ST is all day comfortable.

patiodadio

Motorcyclist
Bike
ST
My wife likes the ST best....my friend has an FJR with the Yammy Top Case ..... our ST has the Honda Top Case..... Wife says she likes the comfort of the ST better. That's one reason we got the ST.

Burger

mmmm hamburgers...
Bike
BMW K1600GT SE
STOC #
Re: Hello? Burger?

Burger? Are you listening?

Burger has owned both ST and FJR and I believe he uses the two-up option now and then.
Aye aye... you caught me just before the missuse and I leave for a weeks European touring on the FJR. Of course I'm not qualified to make any judgement on passenger comfort, but Meike is. Here's what she said...

She always thought the ST was extremely comfortable, especially with the top box fitted for that extra level of security. She can't honestly tell any difference between the ST and FJR however as neither give her any aches or pains. So, forced to choose, she said she'd go for the FJR on the basis of it's anti slip top seat facing. Apparently this puts much less strain on your arms and legs when the top box isn't fitted.

As the rider I can vouch for that as I rarely feel her slide forward even under heavy braking.

As for more the more leg room comments, she said she can't tell any difference but this might be because Yamaha set the passenger pegs lower and further forward on the 2008 FJR.

Hope that helps.

Buderim, Queensland, Australia (It's bigger than y
Bike
ST1300
The 'Minister for Finance' and I have spent many hours touring of a 2001 FJR and had to sell it after she received a knee injury. Found that the passenger footpeg, with it's rounded top, made her leg unstable as she climbed aboard. Plus the peg was a little too high and required more weight to be placed on the knee. Our new ST on the other hand has a flatter topped footpeg meaning a more stable climb up, and it is lower. All in all a much easier bike to get on and off.

As far as long-distance traveling goes the ST wins hands down. Just recently took an FJR for a test ride, for old times sake, and hated it.

Last edited:

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
For another perspective here's a similar thread on the FJR forum:

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=113653&hl=st1300

I've been researching this very question myself, as I sold my ST1300 about 6 months ago and am currently researching my next ride. Since my wife rarely rides with me anymore it's not a huge issue as it was when I bought my ST. However, I do want her to be comfortable for those times when she will ride with me.

She never complained about too much turbulence on the ST, which also had the wind deflectors. She did complain about the foot pegs being too high, which caused her knees to ache. I put the lower pegs on and then she complained that the bike was harder to get on! (Can't win here...)

Most folks on the FJRs seem to replace the stock windshield with a wider / taller one. The stock one is apparently pretty noisy. I don't read about quite as many complaints about the stock seat though as with the ST.

Good luck with your search.

Rick

Snowman

Mike
Bike
04 ST1300
We tested both the FJR and ST, my wife prefers the ST for comfort and space. We have a Givi trunk on the 04 that we purchased but have the standard seat and foot pegs with no problem.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
My wife and I just got back from a trip from Southern California up to the Lake Tahoe area with lots of great roads along the way. (We did several of the Sierra Mountain passes.) Marilyn had only ridden the FJR once for about an hour, so I was very curious to hear her comments. When I had originally bought my '03 ST1300 it had much to do with the comfort for her. (Before that I had a '90 FJ1200 which was not great for 2-up riding.) This is not a direct comparison of the two bikes though, as both my ST and the FJR have after-market seats and shields as well as other other farkles.

Her comments:
- She said the biggest difference was actually the seat. I had a Sargent seat on the ST with a Honda topbox with the standard backrest. My FJR has a Corbin front and stock rear seat. The fact that the stock seat has the grippy material was the biggest comment. She has one bad knee that would get real sore on the ST1300. On the FJR she felt comfortable putting her legs to the side to straighten her leg out as she didn't slip at all. On the Honda she had to hold on real tight in order to put her legs down.
- She said that she would have liked it if the pegs had been a bit lower on the FJR. I had put lowering pegs on my ST, but the lower pegs made it much harder for her to climb on it, so I ended up taking them off! I don't think this is enough of an issue, as she was not complaining about her knees at all on this trip, mainly due to the fact that she felt comfortable hanging her legs down. (Marilyn is 5'2" with about a 29" to 30" inseam.)
- Even though there are lots of complaints about the stock seat, she did not really complain about it. I complained about my rear getting sore on the Corbin more that she did on the stock rear seat! Next time I'm going to try the stock seat on a long ride. The Corbin looks great, but is pretty stiff.
- On this bike I did not install a top box. Instead I have a Premier Cycle Accessories backrest and rack. Not surprisingly, she said that his backrest is far more comfortable that the hard pad built in to the Honda top box.
- We sit closer together on the FJR compared to the ST, as the seat seems to be shorter. I liked this part, as I always felt that she was too far back from me if she was leaning against the top box when we got into anything other than the slab. She was able to lean back on the backrest with no real noticeable effect on the handling in most riding situations. When we'd get in to tight twisties she did lean in to me, which made it a bit better.
- Since she is sitting closer to me she received better wind protection on the FJR. She said that she was getting less turbulence than on the ST. This is not apples-to-apples comparison though, as both bikes had after-market shields. I had a Clearview Short with Goldwing vent on the ST and I have a Rifle with the "tuning blocks" on the Feejer. The Rifle is fugly on this bike, but works great!
- No real comments from her on any heat issues in the back. (However, this Gen II bike has far better heat management for the rider than the ST. It was well above 100 today on the way down I-15 for the last two hours! Mostly between 106 and 108! Isn't it supposed to be the Fall now?)
- She was able to see over my shoulder on both bikes, but on the FJR she could actually see the riders behind us. I can't recall if that was the case on the ST.

My comments:
- I already mentioned the handling benefits for us since we sit closer together. The extra roominess of the STs seat may be of benefit for larger riders though.
- I had the suspension setting dialed in pretty good for my solo riding. The only change I made for this trip was to set the rear preload from "Soft" to "Hard". This helped with the sag, but the rebound was way too loose on both front and rear for riding 2-up with lots of gear for a 4-day ride. I mostly noticed the looseness when we rode the "Little Dragon" on Hwy 49, as I was following Maldos riding 1-up on his ST in "spirited riding mode".
- The '06 and '07 FJR has a very annoying driveline snatch that is far worse than the STs. This is basically a poor design on the GenII bikes that was corrected in the '08 model. I plan on putting a G2 Throttle Tamer on, which is supposed to alleviate it to some extent. There's also a fix by loosening one of the three throttle body springs, which I really don't want to do. I think the '08 had some coding changes in the ECU, but I have no plans to buy another ECU. The issue isn't that bad in most riding conditions, but is extremely annoying in spirited riding in the twisties.
- I need a real throttle lock! This bike has a POS Throttlemeister that is simply junk compared to the simpler thumb operated throttle locks. When it's functioning properly, which is rare, I use it to just relieve some of the spring tension, which is too hard on this bike. This extreme spring tension is part of the problem I mentioned above.
- I don't really watch mileage, but I think I was getting mid forties. Don and I got the exactly same amount of gas at one stop, so the mileage is likely very close to the same as the ST.
- I hit reserve on the FJR when Don was still showing 2 bars! I went for about 25 miles and then was only able to put in 5.4 gallons though. I thought the reserve was 1 gallon, but it's actually 1.45 gallons. Total capacity is 6.6 gallons on the FJR compared to the 7.7 on the Honda.
- When you hit reserve on the FJR, the last bar on the gauge flashes and the indicator shows the amount of miles you've gone since hitting reserve rather than the miles remaining on the Honda. I like this design better, but I rarely hit reserve.

Well, I hope this adds to collective comments on the FJR. Personally, I love this bike the more I ride it!

Rick

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I haven't had but one passenger on my '07 FJR for an hour... I hardly noticed she was back there. Also, keep in mind the Gen2 FJR's ('06 on) have more passenger room as they were lengthened 1.5". Thanks for the review, Rick.

Top Bottom