Rear Bearings notchy...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I left work a little early today since I was going to work later tonight and all weekend.

I decided to go ahead and put a new Roadsmart on.

I checked the bearings and they felt okay... then, looked at my axle right before I was going to install the wheel.

There was a mark on the axle... looked like it was lined up right where the driven flange bearing is.

Checked that bearing again and sure enough, just a slight notch in the feel.

Rechecked the other bearings and they all felt perfect.

I don't know if the axle mark means much as it will also be there from now on but always check those bearings twice.

Update: There was no bearing issue - Update HERE

Attachments

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: Rear Bearing notchy...

15,272... yes but I probably could have gotten another tire change before it was major.. or maybe not.. LOL.. not worth the risk.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

It says to me "warranty issue."

--Mark
Let's see... on my '03 took a wheel to 2 different dealers... 1st one said it was okay.. 2nd one said they were crap and replaced them... didn't last one tire change as they did a bad job.. so had to take that wheel to a 3rd dealer to get it done right...

Cheaper and faster for me to just do it.

Byron

STOC #

Bob had a polished spot on his front axle the last time we changed tires so we changed the bearing on that side.

I didn't think about the mark being there from now on. Maybe use a permanent marker, dykum or gun bluing to go over it. If the bearing wears it off than probably going bad.

dannyk

SISU an inner spirit
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #

Joe, that mark on the axel, I have it on mine and it was on the axel on STDan's when we changed his first tire. My first bearings were changed at around 13k just before my ride out to westoc in 06. I always check them now whenever the rear tire is off. As a matter of fact Dan and I changed out a second set on mine just before we left for tentstoc this year. :biker:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

It could be the mark is just a natural thing and doesn't indicate a bad bearing... but, it sure is suspicious.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Joe, you want your bearing back? I never did use it... :D
:cool:

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe, you want your bearing back? I never did use it... :D
Nah.. keep em. There's a place on the way to work that I'll go and pick up that one, it's a common number. Thanks though.. keep them in case you need them.

mjblair

TooTall

Let's see... on my '03 took a wheel to 2 different dealers... 1st one said it was okay.. 2nd one said they were crap and replaced them... didn't last one tire change as they did a bad job.. so had to take that wheel to a 3rd dealer to get it done right...

Cheaper and faster for me to just do it.
Mellow,
I'm the same way. The only thing I ever returned for warranty service was a dead battery. It's just not worth hassling with the idiots.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Mellow,
I'm the same way. The only thing I ever returned for warranty service was a dead battery. It's just not worth hassling with the idiots.
I think there are good service departments out there.. but my problem is the time it takes for me to take the wheel over there - argue my case and see IF it's considered a warranty issue.. then drop it off and have to come back later... I could have the bearing replaced and the bike back together before I made the first trip to the dealer.. and I've never done it before..

There's also a couple dealers around here that are pretty good but other than and electrical, transmission or engine issue... I don't see the point of making the trip. Plus, every time I do something on the bike I learn more about it and I'll be able to do it on the road if necessary - or at least understand what's wrong.

STOC #

The shiny spot is from a bearing race that been spinning. Gettem' replaced. Bearings are cheap in the long run and you know whats not.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #

Joe,

Can you feel any lip on the polished spot with your finger nail or see any obvious wear? If you do, replace the axle. If not, some of that mark may polish out.

Tom

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Joe,

Can you feel any lip on the polished spot with your finger nail or see any obvious wear? If you do, replace the axle. If not, some of that mark may polish out.

Tom
No, you can't feel any difference between that area and the rest of the axle.. I even too a knife blade and drug it across lightly to see if it would detect a difference.

Bearings failing at less than 20k miles? Routinely? Say it ain't so...

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #

Bearings failing at less than 20k miles? Routinely? Say it ain't so...
Sometimes... I think it depends on the individual's riding style... But they are insanely easy to R&R... Easier than an oil change even... :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #

I just ordered tapered steering bearings and both front and back wheel bearins from CBR Bearings in LA. All three set run ~$120 delivered. Insurance in the tool box.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Since I do tire changes for members. I ordered 20 of the flange bearings thanks to Dannyk's source (http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/6905-2RS).

Just over $66. These are very common so no one should have a hard time getting them but if anyone does I should always have some sitting around.

Bike
2006 ST1300

These bearings are failing WAY too often, and at MUCH too low of a mileage. We need to figure out WHY.

I saw the post where the bearing hole was tapered, that would do it. Also if Honda machined the spacers too short, that would do it also.

I've had 3 other high mileage Hondas and none ever required even 1 bearing.

I just changed my OEM tires at 7k miles and all bearings were good. (they better be!!)

I'd suggest all you non torque wrench types get one. The axle bolt torque preloads the bearings.

To cause that burnishing on the axle that bearing should be seized, not just a little notchy.

Top Bottom