The ultimate tool kit/box

h2orider

R.I.P. - 2018/04/26
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Most all of you that know me know that I carry more tools and rode side emergency kit than the average rider .I guess that comes from being a Boy Scout and previous owner of a BMW we won?t go into the details. I am preparing for a 50 cc ride so I decided that I might need my right side case for more than just tools and spares. I remember when I use to ride and enduros there was a guy that had an old ammunition box welded on the back upper frame of a Yamaha 360 . So it was time to come up with a new way to haul my tools. Similar to some of the tail dragger fuel cell a put a box in the same location above the hitch. First things first find the right case I chose a pelican model 1400.it fitted nicely between the rare bags and was almost the perfect vertical height . I would need to relocate the license plate to the back of a box a quick phone call toTHP spoke with a very knowledgeable officer who also rides his comment was as long as it can be seen from the rear of the motorcycle and the original orientation I should be OK. the next thing I had to do was to make a small backing plate to secure the case on and then attach that backing plate to the vertical strut that supports the trailer hitch that I had already made its probably built a little over the top but I would rather have over engineered it and never have to have a second thought about it again. Here?s a photograph of all the tools spare parts that I carry with me. Although I have never had to use them on the road for the ST although I have helped several BMWs and Harleys and a few others. As well as the old saying goes if you carry it with you you?ll never need it for yourself. So here are few photographs to show how it was put together and then finished up.

Attachments

• b1.jpg
    b1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 228
  • b2.jpg
    b2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 131
  • b3.jpg
    b3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 136
  • b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 274
  • b5.jpg
    b5.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 131
  • b6.jpg
    b6.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 97
  • b7.jpg
    b7.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 73
  • b8.jpg
    b8.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 78
  • b9.jpg
    b9.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 152
  • b10.jpg
    b10.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 128
  • b11.jpg
    b11.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 143
  • b12.jpg
    b12.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 62
  • b13.jpg
    b13.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 114
I have that case as my tail box ... I'm re-thinking the location of it.

How does the bracket behind the box mount?
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll bet he runs off the road to the right now since the left bag will be 50# lighter :p: or was it 80# ? I'm thinking I want a slightly smaller size, one that is only as wide as the space between the bags. I guess I know what my next thing will be :D

What Does that do not fit in the 1400

I know this modification isn’t for everyone but for me it was the right one to do as gene said my bike will no longer make a right hand turn by itself

A large can fix a flat , the collapsible 2 gallon gas can , jumper cables , Honda polish , and the a first aid kits (2 including a staple suture gun) I carry , and the tow strap everything else fitted nicely there all and four by six bags that you can buy at harbour freight

As far as the vertical strut air routes from the rare frame rail loop the top of the trailer hitch if you don’t have a trailer hitch if you just installed a piece of from the rear frame lip down . the plate was made out of ? inch ABS plastic which is a SP which is extremely be strong and lightweight a city motor officer that I ride with can buy today and see any problem with relocating the licence plate since it was still in a flat and in a rear facing position

Gene I guess I know what we can do Friday night when before we go to STAGECOACH all wait a minute we have to go and eat with rocket boy and his new riding partner ,will have time afterwards a1200 is in the shop we just have to be ready to leave at 430 am

Dang Kreis, be careful you don't wheelie when taking off!!! That much weight that far back can make your front end pretty light!!!

It doesn't look like it weighs all that much..

What about a light on the lic plate? Some LEOs might site you for that, if it's an actual law.

There will be a little LED light above the frame. A THP officer said he doubt I would be pulled over for that that. You are correct but is he said most of the sport bikes and custom Harleys are even close complying with the letter of the law. Any also mentioned police officers would not be looking at an ST as closely as compared to most other bikes out there.

How difficult will it be to remove for tire changes ? send me a picture of the 1200 on it from the same distance.

My god you need to get a grip. You could take the bike apart and do a valve adjustment and change your rings too. This bike has a Computer and fuel injection with a radiator too. The bike has nothing close to orange on it.

If you can't fix it with a hose clamp or roll of tape outside of a flat tire then you are going to have to tow it. This bike is as reliable as a car :and the 5 mil allen key is really all you need, :rolleyes:
OK pump, patch kit, spare fuses, first aid kit. water bottle, windex wipes, tie downs, oil tube and adaptors, multi screw driver, couple of wrenches,pliers, tape, microfiber cloth, second pair of gloves,.......... but yours is too much.

Very Cool Kris!!! Can't wait and give it a look at Moonshine this year!!! You,,, are coming again,,, right??? :D

I could see if I put this on my bike loading a,,,

Cigarette Lighter Pump,,, BMW to Cigarette converter,,, Service Manuel,,, Jumper cables,,, Tow Strap,,, Handle bar Straps,,, Tie Straps,,, Electrical Tape,,, Liquid Electric Tape,,, J B Weld...

I have all that and more on my bike 24/7 but,,, it would be nice to put it in this location... I have toyed with getting a fuel cell in this same location too... :D

Good Job Kris!!! :cool:

Believe me lots of that stuff has been used on a few trips I traveled with Kreis on, and they did mean the difference between a non ST rider needing a tow versus being back on the road and having fun :D Some folks would rather stop and help instead of passing on by, he's even helped out other St guys at events that were in trouble , maybe he does need all that stuff !

Terry of Course I?m coming to moonshine that date is put in the ride planner as soon as I get called each year

Terry just like yourself my bike stays pack 24-7 ready to go ride whenever someone stops by if I had a dime I siphon hose or the portable gas can I carry I could buy a lot of moon burgers for the whole crew but we would never charged by fellow brother in need of the side of the road would we.

I have not had that need to yet but I started carrying a set wheel bearings for the ST who knows when one of our fellow members will need them

If you noticed in the photograph there is a piece of steel that comes down from the rear frame That attaches to the trailer hitch is a piece of tungsten grade steel it is 1 inch wide this is used for the vertical load support for the trailer hitch we manufacture

Local Friends use to make fun of me carrying JB Weld and a few small pieces of steel with me... They would almost choke as the would ask if I was planning on riding,,, or wrecking??? :eek:: They almost gave me a pass on the JB Weld but,,, Metal???

I learned this trick when a Bag mount broke on my Connie out in California... Add a small piece of Steel to both sides that you are trying to fix and it will be as strong as new...

Well,,,

These same friends have now used my JB Weld,,, and a couple pieces of steel to "Meld" a Mirror that broke off,,, and a Bag Mount Crack on our trips... :rolleyes:

Like you Kris,,, I carry for those I ride with that don't carry,,, as much as for me... :cool:

I know what you mean Terry about caring stuff for other people. there was a young couple on 250 Kawasaki on the blue ridge parkway it was a new bike to them and when they put the bike on the sidestand with the angle of the ground the bike fell over punched a hole and the clutch cover oil was leaking out there they did know what to do . They told me they had been standing there about an hour and people just kept going by. I told them to other side so that we could remove the clutch cover and fix it. Little bit of J.B. weld and washer covered up the whole that it dry and they?re able to continue on. The best part of the whole deal was being a witness to them about our lord. to this day we stay in contact although they now live on the West Coast every time they come east they stop in see us. This was in 2001 two or three years after the initial contact one day my friend called to tell me that they had started attending church of their whole life were changed . To me that is all that it is about

The JB weld has _not_ held on a couple of my fixes. Seems like peels off much too easily. Any hints?

I usually clean the offending surfaces with alcohol or laquer thinner before applying the JB Weld.

I've had better luck adding some pop rivets to the mix.

George
I agree with you it?s all about preparation of the surface I have found brake clean works wonderful but I do not even carry that with me on the road

Although I carry J.B. weld with me in addition I carry what?s called a metal mender it is a paste in a stick

I found it had an industrial Supply company that caters to fabricators they tell me that mainly people at work was stainless steel use it. The next time I stop by there I will pick one up or you.

The JB weld has _not_ held on a couple of my fixes. Seems like peels off much too easily. Any hints?

I usually clean the offending surfaces with alcohol or laquer thinner before applying the JB Weld.

I've had better luck adding some pop rivets to the mix.

Were you using it on plastic surfaces? I was thinking of picking up some JB weld for repairing a plastic wheel from an old snowblower but the package label didn't mention that it could be used on plastics. Anybody have any luck repairing plastic materials with JB?

Back
Top Bottom