Article [13] ST1300 - G2 Throttle Tube Install w/Throttlemeister

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
My G2 throttle tube arrived in the mail today and I did the install. I had a few concerns with the existing equipment I have on the bike and thought others may have some of the same issues.
My ST has a Throttlemeister and Symtec grip heaters, this should help those that have the same or one of these options.
Start by stripping all components down to the factory throttle tube and adjusting the cable slack nut all the way back. Take care in removing the grip heater element and the TM end cap. Then remove the 2 screws from the housing on the bottom and split the throttle housing.

The lower cable should be pushed off of the cam on the inboard side to give a little more slack. The upper cable is the first to be removed, then rotate the tube and remove the lower cable.

Install the new throttle tube connecting cables in the reverse order they came off.

Make sure the housing is put back in the correct position, this one threw me for a few minutes as I tried to install it up against the master cylinder mount. As you can see it sits about 3/8†away.

Snug up the cable a little with the adjusting nut, be careful, I found the new throttle tube uses a little more cable than the original. Fasten the throttle housing to the bar, the short screw goes in the front hole.

Reinstalled the heater film over the knurling, it will not stick as well as the first install but it will stick well enough to install the grips. I had to glue the TM cap back in place, as it is slightly loose as compared to the original throttle tube.

Reinstall the grip and Throttlemeister and we are done.The entire job took about 30 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Re: G2 throttle tube install w/Throttlemeister

I renamed the title.. added w/throttlemeister, and moved to article section.

Thanks!

What would be a good glue to glue the Throttlemeister Friction Cap back in place? I assume it should be a type that allows for removal later if necessary without destroying the Friction Tube?

Thanks for the great instructions. Much appreciated.

OP
OP
Highrider

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

I used the Honda Grip Adhesive for the cap.

Austin city limits

R.I.P. - 2010/11/19
Rest In Peace
East Central Illinois... 12 miles from Moonshine..
Bike
2006 ST1300 ABS

What would be a good glue to glue the Throttlemeister Friction Cap back in place? I assume it should be a type that allows for removal later if necessary without destroying the Friction Tube?

Thanks for the great instructions. Much appreciated.
?????

What is the Throtlemeister friction cap???

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Well, the pics sure made this look easy, but . . .

Grips came off just fine. Two screws removed from housing after loosening the cables all the way.

Top of housing can't be lifted up due to the top cable coming into the housing. Can't get the bottom one off either. I slid a screwdriver between the cable and the cam wheel but when I get near the end, I can't seem to figure out how to push the end pin over and slide the cable out.

Must be something simple I'm missing, but . . . I don't want to damage the cables, HELP!

Shuey

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Well, the pics sure made this look easy, but . . .

Grips came off just fine. Two screws removed from housing after loosening the cables all the way.

Top of housing can't be lifted up due to the top cable coming into the housing. Can't get the bottom one off either. I slid a screwdriver between the cable and the cam wheel but when I get near the end, I can't seem to figure out how to push the end pin over and slide the cable out.

Must be something simple I'm missing, but . . . I don't want to damage the cables, HELP!

Shuey
If you get the cable over the cam and it's near the slit, take a small screw driver and push the round metal retainer and it should slide out.

OP
OP
Highrider

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

The housings will split quite a bit, there are wires preventing the top from moving much past 30 degrees but the bottom drops like in my 2nd picture. It may take some fiddling around, I pryed mine apart with a small screwdriver. You won't damage the cables unless you forced them past what I show.

Gene

That's MR CUPCAKE to you!
STOC #

Thanks for the right up you and Joe made this easy. Shuey don't forget to slip the bottom return cablr off the cam for somefree play in the cable , then I came back inside and actually read the right up instead of just looking at the pictures :rolleyes: I'm a man ya know

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

Did mine last night....put 40 miles on in Dallas traffic....and I like it a lot! Very nice farkle indeed!

Forest

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Thanks for the right up you and Joe made this easy. Shuey don't forget to slip the bottom return cablr off the cam for somefree play in the cable , then I came back inside and actually read the right up instead of just looking at the pictures :rolleyes: I'm a man ya know
Well . . . I never noticed the THIRD HAND you guys must have, but . . . although I got the cable off finally (thanks for the encouragement) . . . can't get it back on. Top cable comes off by itself once the bottom one is off, and goes back on really easy also. But that darn bottom cable . . . .

I'm running the cable off the raised cam, and I can get the pin started in the hole, but can't get the cable up and into the slot. I can hold the pin in place with a finger on my left hand that also steadies the housing, and with the right hand I can pry the cable up with a small blade screwdriver . . . and if I had a third hand maybe I could turn the throttle housing to give as much slack as possible . . .

Any other suggestions before I raise the tank and head down below to put some more slack in the cable. Just need a leeeeeeetle bit more length to get over the hump!

Note: there wasn't much slack, if any, in the throttle when I started. I'm guessing it was already adjusted out, probably when the MC Cruise was installed?

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

All back together - test ride tomorrow.

Cable had already been previously adjusted to take out ALL the slack. So . . . found pics and instructions on how to disassemble the guts of "Wolf" down under the raised gas tank, through the air box and throttle bodies to get to the lower end of the throttle cable. Undid the lower end, plenty of slack, reassemble the throttle handle, reassemble everything else and . . . voila. All done. :D

You just gotta love it when you get to do all this learn'in for these "simple" projects! :cool:

Very satisfying, and now I'm even ready to replace the air filter when it's time. It'll be a breeze!

Last edited:

Shuey

Site Supporter
Bike
FJR1300 ES, 2018
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Went for an afternoon ride to test out the new G2 - WOW! I thought my clutch was broke when I shifted a couple of times at first - no clunking, no jolting - the G2 is something done really right! Worth every penny!

Shuey

Thanks for the photos and simple but complete instructions. Job was done in 30 minutes. My ST 1300 is a 2003 and the master cylinder was only about 1/8" away to start, so put back same way. I use BMW grips too. Will ride tomorrow for a check out. Angus

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #

Highrider,

Is your G2 tube the same length as the STock tube, or is it the shorter variety? I was thinking that with a shorter tube one would have to adjust the ThrottleMeister too far out to get it to engage the friction tube.

And is the housing placement on the bar adjustable, or is there a tab to insert into the bar to lock it in position? One could adjust the housing position slightly to get the end of the tube closer to the ThrottleMeister, if the tube came up short.

- Jim

OP
OP
Highrider

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #

Jim
The G2 I installed is the same length as stock, the older version was shorter. The only difference was the fit of the nylon sleeve for the Throttlemeister. I didn't measure the actual diameters, but it felt like the G2 was about .010" smaller, that required glue to secure the TM sleeve to the throttle tube.
The throttle cable housing seems like it is keyed in place and can not be moved right or left. I think the master cylinder mounting can be adjusted sideways, that would make sense why we see some variance in the distance between the two.
I may be doing an install on another ST this weekend, I will take a closer look at these conditions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom