Avon Storm problems. . . .

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
Hi!

I don't post here much at all, but I've got a ST-related problem, so thought I'd take it to you folks.

I just got done mounting an Avon Storm on the front of my 2000 Honda ST1100 (27,000 miles). This is the 3rd tire I've mounted on the front, and the first Avon I've ever had. It is wobbling and shimmying from 30 to 50 speeding up, slowing down, cruising, you name it. It's bucking like a bronco.

I pulled the wheel off last night and tried re-balancing it, and it's just more of the same. I'm no professional, but I've been mounting all of the tires on the last 4 bikes I've had over the last 7 years. I've never had this kind of trouble with a tire! This bike was very solid and stable with the Dunlop that came with the bike, the Dunlop I replaced that one with, and the Bridgestone that went on after the second Dunlop. It's only this last tire that has mucked things up!

I guess that's been a bit of rant, but I am pretty frustrated. I'm writing this more to warn others of what these Avon's are like than anything. I did email Southwest Moto tires telling about my troubles. I didn't ask for any particular remedy, so I'm not expecting much. I don't know that it's really any fault of theirs, but I do think it's my responsibility to inform them when a product they're selling isn't meeting expectations. . . .

thanks for your indulgence,

Jim

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It could just be a bad tire... it does happen, I had a Dunlop Roadsmart that I would balance but it would have similar issues and when I too it off, it was out of balance.. maybe something shifting, who knows..

I can't say I've seen much bad report on the Storms.. in fact I was going to try them after I ran through a couple sets of Mich PR2s.

Hopefully SWMoto will just give you another same or different tire in exchange.

Request a replacement tire from SWMoto, or go direct to Avon Tires for a replacement. I've not had any problems with tires, but have read about others that have received a tire that is not quite right and it appears that all have had good success in getting a replacement.

Bike
ST 1300
A couple years ago I got a Michelin pilot road that was out of round...the installing dealer did a "runout test" on it and it was amazing how unround it was. We thought that the bundling straps it came in ruined the belts. Just a thought for you to try although it sounds like you already have done that. Good luck.

By the way the seller took it back, but I caught with 14 bucks shipping charges.

I've used many Storms on various bikes, even had road hazard events,,,
Give both SW and AVON a chance to take care of you.
Past experiences with them have been quite good, and the tires do run sweet.
You can have some bad product from anybody, the test of a product and company is how they service your account.
Give them the chance.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Hi!

I don't post here much at all, but I've got a ST-related problem, so thought I'd take it to you folks.

I just got done mounting an Avon Storm on the front of my 2000 Honda ST1100 (27,000 miles). This is the 3rd tire I've mounted on the front, and the first Avon I've ever had. It is wobbling and shimmying from 30 to 50 speeding up, slowing down, cruising, you name it. It's bucking like a bronco.

I pulled the wheel off last night and tried re-balancing it, and it's just more of the same. I'm no professional, but I've been mounting all of the tires on the last 4 bikes I've had over the last 7 years. I've never had this kind of trouble with a tire! This bike was very solid and stable with the Dunlop that came with the bike, the Dunlop I replaced that one with, and the Bridgestone that went on after the second Dunlop. It's only this last tire that has mucked things up!

I guess that's been a bit of rant, but I am pretty frustrated. I'm writing this more to warn others of what these Avon's are like than anything. I did email Southwest Moto tires telling about my troubles. I didn't ask for any particular remedy, so I'm not expecting much. I don't know that it's really any fault of theirs, but I do think it's my responsibility to inform them when a product they're selling isn't meeting expectations. . . .

thanks for your indulgence,

Jim
I get a little head shake when coasting through 45-40MPH. There have been several of us that have had the same issue. Others all contacted Avon and got it replaced. The new one didn't have the issue. I haven't done this yet because I had a bad wheel bearing and I wanted to ensure it wasn't the bearing causing the issue. The bearing has been replaced but the head shake is still there. I need to contact Avon as well.

Bike
2005 ST1300
Sounds like a lemon tire?...
so far so good on my Storms...(500 or so miles)

You could have it professionally balanced just make sure that is not the issue and then take you case up to Avon....

It's an out of round tire. I've had a couple, one Metzeler Mez 4 and one Pirelli Dragon GTS...

Last edited:
OP
OP

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
You could have it professionally balanced just make sure that is not the issue and then take you case up to Avon....
Yeah, I thought about that, too. The thing is that, if anything, I've been more thorough, more careful than I've been with any other tire. If I go throught the extra effort of getting it done professionally, and still have to buy a replacement--that's just sending good money after bad, no? I might consider it if somebody makes a remedy contingent upon professional balancing, but otherwise I'd be more likely to just cut my losses and buy the replacement right away. . . . I know that others might make different choices, but it is my money (and time!).

Jim

OP
OP

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
It's an out of round tire. I've had a couple, one Metzeler Mez 4 and one Pirelli Dragon GTS...
You know--I really think this is right here! I know it's easy to make predictions in hindsight, but the tire looked like it had excessive runout when I tried balancing it the first time. I tried to check it again when I had it off to re-balance, but I really couldn't honestly say that it was noticeable. So, did I really see something when it was first mounted? I don't know. . . .

It is a "bouncer", though.

Jim

OP
OP

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
I just got an email from Southwest Moto. It sounds like they'll send me another tire if I send this one back. . . .

1129VLD

"71David5"
Bike
04 ST1300
STOC #
Just throwing it out ..

Is the tire on the right way for rotation?
Are you sure that you put the collars back on the correct side of the wheel?

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
Just throwing it out ..

That is a good point about the Storm.

If you mounted them properly one will look like it is backwards. Be sure to look at the directional arrow and not the tread pattern with the Storms. I swore for about a week that I had a tire backwards. I don't know how many times I looked at the arrows and did the wheel turny thing with my hand. Eventually I saw a post by someone else that had the same question.

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I just got an email from Southwest Moto. It sounds like they'll send me another tire if I send this one back. . . .
Send it back. There are many people that have no complaints about the Storm. I also like the tire despite by head shake. It isn't very bad though so I don't know if I will bother with fixing it. It has never been to any point where I can't control it with one hand on the bars. Besides I don't normally ride in the speed range where I notice it. If I am on the brakes and going through the 45-40 range I pass through it too quick I think to even notice it.

OP
OP

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
Just throwing it out ..

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I got that right. And, yes the tread looks weird, but the little arrow on the side of the tire is what I go by.

Edit: Yes, definitely have collar on the correct side, and installed correctly. I really took my time and did everything by the book w/ torque wrench, etc.

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP

GDI

Bike
2000 ST1100
Send it back. There are many people that have no complaints about the Storm. I also like the tire despite by head shake. It isn't very bad though so I don't know if I will bother with fixing it. It has never been to any point where I can't control it with one hand on the bars. Besides I don't normally ride in the speed range where I notice it. If I am on the brakes and going through the 45-40 range I pass through it too quick I think to even notice it.
I think I may have read another post of yours or maybe someone else who was living w/ the problem. The thing is that I commute with this bike, and I do a *lot* of riding between 35-50mph. I'm thinking that all that shaking and shimmying would be pretty hard on the forks, bearings, etc. besides driving me nuts.

I had an '86 Shadow 1100 that had a little shimmy when slowing down w/ one particular front tire, and I lived with that one. Like you say it wasn't all that troublesome, but this is something else entirely. . . .

Jim

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I think I may have read another post of yours or maybe someone else who was living w/ the problem. The thing is that I commute with this bike, and I do a *lot* of riding between 35-50mph. I'm thinking that all that shaking and shimmying would be pretty hard on the forks, bearings, etc. besides driving me nuts.

I had an '86 Shadow 1100 that had a little shimmy when slowing down w/ one particular front tire, and I lived with that one. Like you say it wasn't all that troublesome, but this is something else entirely. . . .

Jim
It was probably my post. I also commute on my bike. I think I was looking on my GPS and my average speed is in the 50s. I have very little slow speed segments of my commute and the speed limits where I ride are. 30, 55, 60 and 65. So I really don't spend much time at all in that 45-40 range. It sounds like your issue is worse than mine. You mentioned that you get it on acceleration, while maintaining speed as well as decel. I only have it on decel. I have about 5K miles on my tires now so that is the other reason I likely won't do much with it. If I make it through this year with the set I'll be happy.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
Avon replaced my front Storm and the replacement also had the same 45mph shake. Tolerable with hands on bars, not good the looser your grip gets. No such problem with previous tires. I like em otherwise, but will probably switch, next tire change.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I have good luck with the STorms. Seems some folks had issues early on. How old is yur front tar?

I currently have an Excedra on the front of ReSTored that has a side to side wobble. Only shows at low speed, can feel it "walk" side to side. No problem at speed. But it ain't right.

BTW, my current set of Bridgestones on ReSTored is approaching 15,000 miles, best mileage I've gotten from a set of tars in YEARS!

Top Bottom