Big Bend and Guadeloupe Mountain

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Getting excited about my first big ride of 2010. Second week in February I plan to do about 2,000 miles without ever leaving TEXAS!

We'll be visiting Big Bend and Guadeloupe Mountain so plan to do few big hikes.

We had a great time last February in Big Bend but this will be the first time I ride out their on the ST.

• Houston to Del Rio
  • Explore Seminole Canyon
  • Five nights in Big Bend staying in one of the Roosevelt Stone Cottages built by the CCC in the 30s
  • Climb Casa Grande (off trail!)
  • Hike the South Rim and Emory Peak
  • Ride the river to Presidio and up to Fort Davis
  • Overnight at White City
  • Climb Guadeloupe Mountain, the highest peak in Texas!
  • Ride the 700 miles back to Houston

My better half will drive with two other friends in their Explorer towing a Honda Shadow on our Double Kendon Trailer while I stay on the STeed. We'll ride together in the Park at Big Bend.

Will follow up with a ride report and perhaps just a few pictures....

:biker:+:amflag:+:ukflag1:+:CanFlag1:

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

TXRoadRash

FWDoc
Bike
2008 GL1800
I'm going in May with a group of guys from the office...can't wait. Thanks for mentioning the Roosevelt Stone Cottages -- we will have to check into them!

Coop

R.I.P. - 2022/10/6
Rest In Peace
STOC #
Remember what the lady at the observatory said? She wanted to know why riders had to sniff everyone elses bikes when they get together.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
I'm going in May with a group of guys from the office...can't wait. Thanks for mentioning the Roosevelt Stone Cottages -- we will have to check into them!
They are great but very hard to book. For the last three years we have made our reservations one year in advance and even then have not been able to always get the days we wanted. One cottage is also not available to be booked as it is reserved for VIPs.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
They are great but very hard to book. For the last three years we have made our reservations one year in advance and even then have not been able to always get the days we wanted. One cottage is also not available to be booked as it is reserved for VIPs.
Define VIP in Texas! Makes no sense to leave facilities empty on the chance that Cheney is gonna show up when paying customers are standing in line!

Bike
'09 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
George...let's storm the fort! NO public official, i.e. politician.....and certainly...NO private person should be priviledge (special treatment) to special accomodation in a public National park. Period. A citizen...is a citizen.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
George...let's storm the fort! NO public official, i.e. politician.....and certainly...NO private person should be priviledge (special treatment) to special accomodation in a public National park. Period. A citizen...is a citizen.
They do allow regular citizens as we lucked out and got it last year. But you cannot book it in advance.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Returned yesterday from this adventure so here is our report. I have included some pictures but you can see all the ride pictures here, or the complete trip including all our hiking here.

02-06: Slow start. Our friends, the Samsons who were going to tow our Double Kendon Bike Trailer with their Honda Shadow, did not arrive till 6:30. Still partly packed. Had to put the top carrier on vehicle and then go back around to their house. So we did not actually get away till after 7:00am. Cold start (36f) out along I-10. Marty drives at 62mph with the bike trailer! Stop in Columbus and then at Luling for fuel. Took the lead from Luling to get the speed up to 67! I-10 is very boring but at least there was little traffic. Warming up and sun comes out through San Antonio. West on US90 is better riding. Lunch in Hondo.

Arrive in Del Rio at 1:30. Take Marty's Shadow off trailer and head out on both bikes to Seminole Canyon. Further delay by road works and Border Patrol. They ask if I am a US Citizen. I wonder if anyone ever says, "No, I'm a
terrorist with Al-Quaida"? Great to be doing 80 through the sweepers in brilliant sunshine with Kathy on the back.

Miss the 3:00pm guided tour of Seminole Canyon by 30 mins :( ! Decide to stop off the next day to catch the 10:00am tour. Back to the dumpy Best Western in Del Rio but a good mexican dinner in Pedro's just around the corner.

2-07: Up early. New forecast with fog and drizzle. Guided hike at Seminole Canyon cancelled because rock was slick with rain water. Put it on the bucket list for next year. Headed west in the fog on I-90. Stopped off in Langtry and learned about the real history of Judge Roy Bean.

Fog and drizzle as we climbed up to 4,500 ft on I-90 but began to clear and ran out into the sunshine and dry road west of Sanderson. Wound the ST up to 110 on some of the straight stretches. Fuel and lunch in Marathon before heading down into the Park.

Narrowly missed several Road Runners intent on committing suicide. Checked into Roosevelt Stone Cabin 102 with a view through "The Window" in the Basin at Big Bend. This is one of our "magic places".

02-08: Hiked Grapevine Hills to the Balanced Rock which is famous from many pictures of Big Bend. Clear and sunny. Returned to the cottages for lunch and then took the bikes with Kathy and Sharon riding pillion down to Santa Elena canyon.

Nice ride along the Ross Maxwell Park Rd but the park limit is 45mph so hard to really enjoy the twisties. Hiked into the Santa Elena canyon. Stopped off at Castolon Store for an ice cream and the Mule Ears overlook. We planned to do The Window through hike the next day and needed to leave a vehicle at the parking lot at the Oak Canyon Trail head. Decided to check out the gravel road up to Oak Canyon. With Kathy on the back of the STeed it was hard to control the bike on the gravel and rock dirt road but we made it the 1.5 miles to the trailhead parking lot. Coming back went well until it seemed the road narrowed and we were on the wrong side. Tried to cross over but too much throttle and not enough clutch and the rear end spun us aroubd and down hard. Even on the rough gravel and rock surface the tip over wing and bars saved us and the bike. We picked up the ST but struggled to get it turned around in the narrow road. Marty arrived on his Shadow and with his help we got both bikes turned around and safely back to the hard top.

02-09: Very cold! 32 deg in The Basin outside our cottage. When I rode up over the pass by the Lost Mines trail head I entered a fog of frozen air which registered 24 deg on th ST. Visor froze over! Decided to play it safe after yesterday's crash on the dirt road. I left the ST at the junction of the Ross Maxwell road and the Oak Canyon dirt road. Drove the Explorer with Kathy up to the trailhead parking lot and then we hiked the 1.5 miles back to the ST which we then rode back up to the Basin. We had a great hike down to The Window and then up and down to Oak Canyon.

From the "hitching post" tree we hiked across to Cattail Falls, a rare continuous water fall that dops off the Chisos Mountains into the Chihuahua Desert creating an oasis of trees, wildflowers and a home for hummingbirds.

It is not marked on any of the park maps or guide books but is definately worth the hike. Unfortunately when we retured to the Explorer at the trail head parking lot, the front tire was flat! Just what we needed after a long day!

More to follow...

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
02-10: Cold and overcast but none of the freezing rain and show that had been forecasted. Marty and Sharon took the Explorer to Study Butte to have the tire fixed. Kathy and I rode the ST up to the north end of the park to hike into Dog Canyon. Big Bend is so huge that from The Basin one can travel 30 miles in any direction along the three major roads that radiate from Panther Junction and still not leave the park. It was a cold ride and I was very glad of my heated hand grips and heated Warm & Safe Jacket Liner and Glove Liners. On the back Kathy has none of this luxury.

When we arrived at the Dog Canyon trail head it was 34 degrees with a strong wind out of the north.

The first 2 miles of the trail is across the flats so we decided to wimp out and instead rode north to warm up in the Park Visitor center at Persimon Gap. We returned to The Basin for lunch as Kathy had enough of freezing on the back of the ST. That afternoon I rode down to the Rio Grande Village and Boquillas Canyon at the east end of the park.

02-11: The rain finally arrived in the night so we woke to a wet morning in The Basin with a light cover of snow high up on Emory Peak above us. Marty took us in the EXplorer down to the east end of the park where we to the Old Ore dirt road 10 miles north to the Ernst Tinaja canyon. This starts as an easy hike along a flat wash into a canyon where the dipping interbedded cretaceous limestone and mudstone trap water in holes or "Tinajas". We had visited here last year and this time Kathy was determined to hike further up the canyon. It narrows ito avarious choke points where it is necessary to do more climbing than hiking. WE successfully got past all the obstacles and hiked through to where the canyon opens up again into the Ernst Basin where the old aerial ore tramway terminated. Another great day despite the overcast weather and occassional light rain. We capped it off by visiting Terlingua Ghost Town where we had a great guided tour of the old mining works and settlement with Cinta and then dinner at the "Starlight Theatre".

02-12: I had been worried that the weather would be a problem when we left the park and headed north but it turned out to be a great day. Kathy and Sharon drove the Explorer while Marty was on his Shadow and I rode the ST. It was cold but clear as we rode west exiting the park through Study Butte.

In Lajitas Sharon joined Marty on the Shadow as I led off along the River Road (HWY 170) to Presidio. The ST ate up the twisties along the Rio Grande and through Canyon Madera.

Just a couple of "oh ****" moments when the bends were sharper than I thought or there was gravel on the wrong part of the road. The twisties turned into long sweepers and then some derelict villages that reminded me of "No Country for Old Men". In Presidio Marty gassed up and Sharon returned to the Explorer. We headed north on US67 to Marfa and Fort Davis. As the road climbs to over 5,000 ft before Marfa the views in the clear cold air were amazing. Long sweepers and even long straights where I had the ST up to over 115 with Marty disappearing to a small dot in my mirror. Before Marfa we were stopped again by the Border Control. Great guys doing a great job but that question still seems a bit ridiculous. Thought I might say something about the red head in the Explorer following behind but passed on the chance for real trouble!

We stopped for lunch in Ft Davis and then headed north and west on Hwy 118 through Davis Mountains State Park. Another great road with some mean twisties as it rises to well over 6,000 ft near the McDonald Observatory before descending into a long straight to join I-10 at Kent. Marty's Shadow was running on fumes as we gassed up again. West on I-10 with the speed limit at 80. The strong headwind made passing the semi's who were doing 75 rather exciting! In Van Horn we turned north on Hwy 54. My GPS told me we were in far west Texas as I could only see three faint curves in the next 100 miles. My Garmin also told me that that there were not going to any gas stations for 130 miles so I kept the speed down so Marty's Shadow would not run dry. Looking over the wind shield the distinct mass of Guadelupe Peak and El Capitan could be clearly seen from over 70 miles away! Coming closer to the mountain I decided to stop and take a picture of the ST with Guadelupe Peak and El Capitan.

Stopped on the side of the road, took the picture, decided to turn the bike around so I could get the same picture from the front, realised I had dropped my glove so lowered the bike onto the bike stand. Problem was that I had raised the stand so down it went for drop #4. I got the ST up quickly as at least one truck started to pull over. Happy to see their concern but I did not want to share my embarrasment! Forgetting the idea of any more pictures I rode off to catch up with Marty's Shadow and the Explorer. We checked in that night at the Walnut Inn in White City, a dumpy motel by any standards.

02-13: A rare day apparently in US history as the ONLY recorded day when every State other than Hawaii received a measured amount of snowfall. Kathy and I hiked up Guadelupe Peak, at 8,749ft the highest point in Texas. While that might not sound high by Colorado standards, the hike up involves 3,000 ft of vertical in just over 4 miles. The Falcon Guide rates it as "difficult and strenuous" and "one of the most spectaular hikes in the United States". It was all of that for us especially as we were hiking over deep, wind blown snow or over half the trail. At times the snow was knee deep making it very hard going.

A couple of the drop offs are spectacular but do not compare with the amazing views. we were about two thirds up when two Army personnel ran by making our slow progress look pathetic. I decided they must be aliens when they ran past us again in the opposite direction before we had reached the last switchbacks. They were pleased at our shouts that we were glad they were defending us!

We reached the top, took some pictures and started lunch before we were invaded this time by a Border Patrol Explorer group of 28 kids who also had
the task of "running" the mountain. Great to see these kids taking such strenuous exercise but they were "loud"! We set off down from the summit only to have to stand aside as the Explorers ran past us. They did a great job of ploughing a better trail for us through the snow drifts but it was still a slippery hike back down. We managed to do the 8.4 mile hike up and back in just over six hours. That evening we soothed our aching muscles with a few 'ritas in Carlsbad.

02-14: The plan was to do the 626 mile journey home to Houston in one day so we got away early. It was 44 degF in White City so I did not bother with my heated glove liners. First big mistake of the day as within ten miles the ST showed the 32 deg and then as we took HWY 652 west it went down to 26 deg every time the road dropped into a draw where the cold air was trapped. Coming onto US 285 the sunrise was very welcome as I rode through Pecos for breakfast in Fort Stockton at the junction with I-10. Riding the slab is not my preference but there are not a lot of choices in West Texas. With 80 mph speed limit the section of I-10 through to Kerville is a good ride and we planned to turn off on US290 through Fredericksburg and Austin into Houston. I sped away from the Explorer which plodded along at 65mph. After two hours I was just outside Sonora when my iPod Touch quit so I pulled over into a rest area to check what was wrong. Discovered that the battery was dead on the iPod so plugged it into the bike to charge up. Thought I should give the bike a quick check and discovered my secong Big Mistake.

My rear tire was worn so flat that the threads were just showing! Decided not to risk a catastrophic tire failure at 80+ so that was it for my ride. Called in the Explorer and we loaded the ST on the trailer.

Looking back on it I should have done my math better as I had put the Avon Storms on the ST at 9,800 and I should have changed out the rear before starting this planned 2,000 mile trip. With 18,065 on the clock I got just over 8,000 miles on that tire which seems average for other forum members who have used the Storms. I'm glad I learned that lesson before the tire failed on me.

So overall a great trip! We have booked to go again next year at the same time, staying again in one of the Roosevelt Stone Cottages in the Chisos Basin. James has said he will join us on his ST1300 and maybe we can get David out on the NT700V. All we'll need is Kathy on a dual sport for those dirt roads...

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
Better rethink White City if you plan to stay in TX for the whole trip. White City is where Carlsbad Caverns is & it is in NM.... :D:D

Not that you can't do 2000 miles & never leave TX

Getting excited about my first big ride of 2010. Second week in February I plan to do about 2,000 miles without ever leaving TEXAS!

We'll be visiting Big Bend and Guadeloupe Mountain so plan to do few big hikes.

We had a great time last February in Big Bend but this will be the first time I ride out their on the ST.

• Houston to Del Rio
  • Explore Seminole Canyon
  • Five nights in Big Bend staying in one of the Roosevelt Stone Cottages built by the CCC in the 30s
  • Climb Casa Grande (off trail!)
  • Hike the South Rim and Emory Peak
  • Ride the river to Presidio and up to Fort Davis
  • Overnight at White City
  • Climb Guadeloupe Mountain, the highest peak in Texas!
  • Ride the 700 miles back to Houston

My better half will drive with two other friends in their Explorer towing a Honda Shadow on our Double Kendon Trailer while I stay on the STeed. We'll ride together in the Park at Big Bend.

Will follow up with a ride report and perhaps just a few pictures....

alan

R.I.P - 3/20/2011
Rest In Peace
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Very nice writeup, felt like I was along for the ride. The picture with the ST in the sunset is real nice.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Better rethink White City if you plan to stay in TX for the whole trip. White City is where Carlsbad Caverns is & it is in NM.... :D:D

Not that you can't do 2000 miles & never leave TX
You are right, White City is 15 miles into NM. The problem is that if you are not camping and want to stay near Guadelupe Mountain, the nearest motel in TX is 70 miles away in Van Horn while White City is only 35 miles away. So we cheated a bit! The Walnut Inn Motel in White City is a dump so we won't make that mistake again.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
You are right, White City is 15 miles into NM. The problem is that if you are not camping and want to stay near Guadelupe Mountain, the nearest motel in TX is 70 miles away in Van Horn while White City is only 35 miles away. So we cheated a bit! The Walnut Inn Motel in White City is a dump so we won't make that mistake again.

True story there. White City was never known for 4 star hotels. My aunt used to own the only hotel in Van Horn but it was sold in the 60s after her death.

Your ride report makes me want to get back down there real soon.

Bike
GL1800
Thanks for the report. Heading to Big Bend next week to camp. Better bring some warm stuff!!!:bow1:

The whole trailer thing....................................is perfect. I find that mine gives me the same flexibility for trips with my bride and buddies. You never know what will happen and the combo allows folks to do things other than ride. A very good way to sustain the marriage and still do your thing...what a package!

In a cabin somewhere in AZ.

OP
OP
amorley

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
Thanks for the report. Heading to Big Bend next week to camp. Better bring some warm stuff!!!:bow1:

The whole trailer thing....................................is perfect. I find that mine gives me the same flexibility for trips with my bride and buddies. You never know what will happen and the combo allows folks to do things other than ride. A very good way to sustain the marriage and still do your thing...what a package!
Thanks! This worked out really well for us. I'll ride all day any day but won't force Kathy to share the pain :rolleyes: on the pillion.

...and the trailer :bow1: came through to the rescue when my tire wore out!

Top Bottom