ST1300 Lower fuel sender

Bike
ST1300
HI all going to throw this open for a bit advice.

Fuel gauge on my 2005 st 1300 will work fine until it gets to the second bar. Then it will sit there for a bit them it gauge will start to flash with the number of miles left to do showing.

But then it will go back up to the two bars for a bit then back to flashing then back to two bars. It will do this till the bike runs out of fuel last time it did it the gauge was still showing two bars.

New fuel pump i will hear you see the shop has fitted a new pump well a second hand one.

What i am trying to find out if this is a common fault with the bike and that way i can say to the shop it a common fault and it needs a new fuel pump as they have fitted one with the same fault.

Your thought please.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
It's not common. The sender in the upper tank, being a partially-mechanical beast, is usually what fails. I don't think I've ever heard of the thermistor in the lower tank failing. (Doesn't mean it doesn't happen...)

There is an inspection procedure for it in the manual that your mechanic should have done on the original unit before swapping out fuel pump assemblies.

If two replacement units have been tried with identical results, I would say that he original was probably just fine and that the problem is outside the lower tank. The air in the UK seems like it's abusive of everything on a motorcycle, and I'd go over all of the connectors between the tank, the ECM and the dash (consult the wiring diagram) and make sure they're clean and secure.

--Mark

Top Bottom