One Way Check Valve worked well

Bike
'05 ST1300A
After reading a lot of posts on brake bleeding, I decided to try a one man brake bleed using a one way check valve. Picked up one at NAPA (same as this http://www.amazon.com/K-D-Tools-2538-Brake-Bleeder/dp/B000CO9NXY ). Also saw one later at an auto parts store for a bit cheaper ($10). I would have preferred a metal valve, but couldn't find one locally. I also needed a hose to attach to bleeders, but happened to have one with a good fit in the garage. The hose that came with it fits the bleeders but my valve was set up for the opposite flow. :confused:

I found it simple to use for a one person bleed and in a couple of hours (was cautious - probably less than an hour next time) had my first brake and clutch bleed on the ST done without any problems. Principle is same as speed bleeders at much less cost. It prevents air from going back into the brake line. Just pump the brake or clutch and drain until clear fluid with no bubbles.

Next time around I'll try to get a better quality one way valve. Although it worked for me, these seem to be cheaply made. I tested another valve by blowing into it and found it's orientation the opposite of mine (correct, as it turns out - mine was wrong way around). Anyway, it worked out fine after some head scratching. Also checked my valve clearances and was pleased to find all in spec so I'm good to go for this summer. :)

Anyone else think one way valves are the way to go, and have you found a source for a good one?

I use a speedbleeder as the check-valve (speedbleeder with a hose attached on both ends). Mine is modified slightly with the threads stripped off to make attaching a hose a bit easier.

I use the Motion Pro Brake bleeder valve (metal and the same principle). It makes bleeding the brakes a snap.

Thanks guys.

Tim, do you know of any auto supply or chain stores that carry them or is it just through the Internet? I'll be touring some states in the coming months and could try to get one. Shipping to Canada can cost more than the bleeder valve. :(

Creative Mark. Might be easier to find a speedbleeder (or equivalent) and save a few $.

Do you use anything to clean out the valves after use?

Thanks guys.

Tim, do you know of any auto supply or chain stores that carry them or is it just through the Internet? I'll be touring some states in the coming months and could try to get one. Shipping to Canada can cost more than the bleeder valve. :(

Creative Mark. Might be easier to find a speedbleeder (or equivalent) and save a few $.

I found the speed bleeder (came in a pack of two) at either Autozone or Advance Auto Parts...can't remember which one. Your local auto parts store can probably order them if you can't find them stocked.

I use denatured alcohol to clean.

I found mine in the VENDOR section of www.advrider.com. The noted as being found at Cycle Gear looks identical. Perhaps a good independent m/c shop in Canada might carry them. I've not had much success at big dealers carrying these type of items.

Tim

Thanks guys.

Perhaps a good independent m/c shop in Canada might carry them. I've not had much success at big dealers carrying these type of items.

Tim

I tried all the local m/c shops first and was surprised that none of them stocked anything for brake bleeding. Poor planning on my part, as I thought it would not be hard to find. After all, surely I'm not the only guy in a city of 150,000 bleeding my own m/c brakes. :confused:

At HD I was told that all the shop does is attach a hose and pump the brakes. Ok, fine with two people (who know what they are doing and communicate well), but I've been there, done that, and been frustrated with air in the lines. The one way valve takes that worry away and makes a solo bleed very easy. IMO, it's odd that more people don't use them, and the m/c shops don't stock them, but maybe I'm missing something here...

Back
Top Bottom